Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
11215777_994151103967473_4965325232858946200_n.jpg

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I like old country and new country. Zac Brown Band, Old Dominion, Jason Aldean, Florida-Georgia Line, George Strait, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard. I listen to more new country, but like the old stuff too. Darius Rucker is pretty good too. Not a hug Keith urban fan though.

As a baseball guy, I've loved country music since I was little going down south to play down there.

I tend to go for more classic country stuff myself, or at least new stuff that has the classic feel. The new stuff doesn't really do anything for me. It sounds more like pop songs sung with a southern accent and that feature the occasional pedal steel or fiddle in it to make it sound more authentic. I find the subject matter to be a bit cartoonish as well, but that's a criticism I have of most modern pop music.

A cool re-release of the movie "Heartworn Highways" is coming out soon. It came out in '76 and featured a lot of the outsider country acts that were springing up at the time; Guy Clark, David Allan Coe, Townes Van Zandt, etc. I have a downloaded version of an old-print and I really liked it. Might be worth a look.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I tend to go for more classic country stuff myself, or at least new stuff that has the classic feel. The new stuff doesn't really do anything for me. It sounds more like pop songs sung with a southern accent and that feature the occasional pedal steel or fiddle in it to make it sound more authentic. I find the subject matter to be a bit cartoonish as well, but that's a criticism I have of most modern pop music.

A cool re-release of the movie "Heartworn Highways" is coming out soon. It came out in '76 and featured a lot of the outsider country acts that were springing up at the time; Guy Clark, David Allan Coe, Townes Van Zandt, etc. I have a downloaded version of an old-print and I really liked it. Might be worth a look.

Thanks!

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I think you mean Richard Lloyd. Yes, Richard Lloyd is pretty uneven. But, Richard Lloyd isn't even playing with the band anymore. And when I saw them a few years ago even with Lloyd in the band, it wasn't worth the scratch.

Anyway, I just want to see Tom Verlaine do the gracenote solo from Marquee Moon live. :laugh:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The Mats are a band I love dearly but didn't care to see for the same reason I don't want to see The Pixies; they are frozen in time in my mind, and I find it hard to enjoy their music when pieces of the original band are missing.

Saw both of them in their original incarnations. They were both okayish, the Mats show was post-Bob Stinson, so the soul of the band had been cut out by then anyway.

I always thought of Prince as untapped potential. Wish he would have embraced the band model and been serious about developing a band-voice for his music. Instead, I feel he got waylaid early on by the Tin Pan Alley model and his execution suffered for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad