OT: R.I.P. Prince

scott99

May 13, 2005
Sad to hear this, only 57 years old. My thoughts go out to his family. He was a very big star of the 1980's, in fact, at one point it was between him and Michael Jackson as to who was the bigger star. Unfortunately lost them both way too young.

Always preferred Prince, but acknowledged Jackson's talent. RIP Prince.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Seismic loss for the form. Ideally we'd've had another 10-15-20 years of watching this guy. Even if he never made another good record, he'd still earned a victory lap.

A 1983 Rolling Stone rock history book likened '70s Bowie to the precedents set by Presley and the Beatles ("a charismatic figure who would single-handedly make over the entire pop music scene in his image"), and I think we've all understood for a long time that Prince ruled his own peak decade in similar fashion.

One of the great descriptions of Prince was written back in the Trouser Press Record Guide in 1989. I think it's an excellent summation:

"Prince's impact on the direction and sound of '80s pop music can't be overstated. By the mid-'70s, race segregation had become nearly as rigid a musical barrier as it was at the outset of rock'n'roll in the '50s, but Prince's brilliant stylistic cross-fertilization has been a major agent in its slow dissolution. He continually demonstrates a phenomenal grasp of forms, styles and production techniques, and has the ability to create stunning syntheses of them. True, he's shown a lyrical penchant for excessive and/or tasteless sexuality, but he's also responsible for some of the most playful, open and un-hung-up sexiness in pop music. Prince is the biggest figure in '80s pop music whom musicians at opposite ends of the rock and soul spectrum will admit liking and paying attention to."

RIP, short stuff.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Was never a die-hard fan but I saw this guy at the Coliseum in the mid 80's and he was great. Very very talented dude. Excellent guitar player.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Really regret I never got the chance to see him live. To give you an idea of how big he was they just paid tribute to him on the Adelaide vs Hawthorne AFL broadcast by playing 1999 as a bumper. For those unaware AFL is Aussie Rules.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Really regret I never got the chance to see him live. To give you an idea of how big he was they just paid tribute to him on the Adelaide vs Hawthorne AFL broadcast by playing 1999 as a bumper. For those unaware AFL is Aussie Rules.

Seriously. This one bums me out. People are saying it's so bad with Bowie, etc., but for me Prince is *way* more significant. And yet, I never got to see Prince live. I could have gone to that Maceo Parker show in prospect park, but I didn't. This was a big disappointment. I also missed an Alex Chilton show at the Bell House months before he died. I had a good reason for missing that (turns out that the person who I was going to go with almost certainly wanted to start an extramarital affair - I had to bow out).

At least I got to see Phife Dawg w/Tribe twice. Not that they have the same significance of Prince, but...

Prince's version of 'When you were mine' is the most incredibly executed rock and roll song ever. It's what everyone told me the Rolling Stones were supposed to be, but never were - at least for me.

My life was too crazy to see the Replacements last year, but I've got to rectify that. Television wasn't playing concerts during the time in which I was attending them. I hope they come back around. That's a priority.

Last edited:

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Seriously. This one bums me out. People are saying it's so bad with Bowie, etc., but for me Prince is *way* more significant. And yet, I never got to see Prince live. I could have gone to that Maceo Parker show in prospect park, but I didn't. This was a big disappointment. I also missed an Alex Chilton show at the Bell House months before he died. I had a good reason for missing that (turns out that the person who I was going to go with almost certainly wanted to start an extramarital affair - I had to bow out).

At least I got to see Phife Dawg w/Tribe twice. Not that they have the same significance of Prince, but...

Prince's version of 'When you were mine' is the most incredibly executed rock and roll song ever. It's what everyone told me the Rolling Stones were supposed to be, but never were - at least for me.

My life was too crazy to see the Replacements last year, but I've got to rectify that. Television wasn't playing concerts during the time in which I was attending them. I hope they come back around. That's a priority.

You have good taste.

The Mats are a band I love dearly but didn't care to see for the same reason I don't want to see The Pixies; they are frozen in time in my mind, and I find it hard to enjoy their music when pieces of the original band are missing.

I'm also a much bigger Prince fan than I am Bowie fan, though I enjoy his work, too. Prince's genius was on another level.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
:laugh:

Why? Disappointing? I mean, I heard that Richard Hell is a pretty uneven performer. But Tom Verlaine is supposedly awesome live. Has that changed?

I think you mean Richard Lloyd. Yes, Richard Lloyd is pretty uneven. But, Richard Lloyd isn't even playing with the band anymore. And when I saw them a few years ago even with Lloyd in the band, it wasn't worth the scratch.

Put it this way, if you can get a cheap ticket or a free ticket, then by all means go. But if they're charging more than $40, save it for an Islanders game.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
You have good taste.

The Mats are a band I love dearly but didn't care to see for the same reason I don't want to see The Pixies; they are frozen in time in my mind, and I find it hard to enjoy their music when pieces of the original band are missing.

I'm also a much bigger Prince fan than I am Bowie fan, though I enjoy his work, too. Prince's genius was on another level.

The Mats were great at Forest Hills Stadium! I got to see Pixies with Kim Deal too. Also great. I like Kim Shattuck too, but it's definitely not the same without Deal.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
RIP.

As a young-in, I thought his '07 Superbowl performance was epic.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
You have good taste.

Thanks, man.

If you're like me, you wouldn't want to listen through 'The Hold Steady' opener, whom I utterly loathe.

I've never seen the Pixies, but I have seen the Breeders a couple of times. I'm not really a fan of either band, but the Breeders were great live.

I never really ever got the Bowie love.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks, man.

If you're like me, you wouldn't want to listen through 'The Hold Steady' opener, whom I utterly loathe.

I've never seen the Pixies, but I have seen the Breeders a couple of times. I'm not really a fan of either band, but the Breeders were great live.

I never really ever got the Bowie love.

I HATE The Hold Steady and The National. HATE them. But I absolutely love both the Pixies and the Breeders. No Aloha is now playing in my office thanks to this discussion.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Are we talking Merle Haggard or Keith Urban?

I like old country and new country. Zac Brown Band, Old Dominion, Jason Aldean, Florida-Georgia Line, George Strait, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard. I listen to more new country, but like the old stuff too. Darius Rucker is pretty good too. Not a hug Keith urban fan though.

As a baseball guy, I've loved country music since I was little going down south to play down there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad