Quote From Daly sums up negotiations to date

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Bill Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, said the league was taking the new offer seriously.
''They made a serious proposal, which I would suggest was the first one in this process,'' he said.

So after months, we've had one serious proposal.

Since the NHL was the party that started the lockout, shouldn't they have made a serious proposal or two by now?

Personally, I think the PA made a mistake with this negotiation. They should have stayed at 10-15 percent on the rollback but given up more in terms of luxury tax, qualifying offers and arbitration.

Sammy*

Newsguyone said:
So after months, we've had one serious proposal.

Since the NHL was the party that started the lockout, shouldn't they have made a serious proposal or two by now?

Personally, I think the PA made a mistake with this negotiation. They should have stayed at 10-15 percent on the rollback but given up more in terms of luxury tax, qualifying offers and arbitration.
Yawn.
Your bias is ridiculous. Anyone with any sense knows he's referring to the players proposals, not the NHL's.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The union is giving up too much for the first serious concession, but it achieves two things: 1) the NHLPA's PR just skyrocketed and pressure is squarely on the league; and 2) the league's ability to walk away and then try to get impasse declared has probably now been deep sixed permanently.

I think the league has to negotiate a settlement now, because the expected impasse arguments probably aren't going to work.

A Good Flying Bird*

Sammy said:
Yawn.
Your bias is ridiculous. Anyone with any sense knows he's referring to the players proposals, not the NHL's.

Ever heard of a freudian slip?

It's quite clear to everyone with intelligence that the owners haven't made a serious offer yet.
They made the decision to back the players into a corner with an unreasonable offer ($31 Million hard cap? You think that was SERIOUS???)

Conversely, the players didn't make a serious counteroffer right away either.

So yes, this is the first SERIOUS offer from either side.
I expect the the owners to deliver a SERIOUS offer next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

A Good Flying Bird*

Drake1588 said:
The union is giving up too much for the first serious concession, but it achieves two things: 1) the NHLPA's PR just skyrocketed and pressure is squarely on the league; and 2) the league's ability to walk away and then try to get impasse declared has probably now been deep sixed permanently.

I think the league has to negotiate a settlement now, because the expected impasse arguments probably aren't going to work.

Imagine you are Mike Illitch, or the owner of the Leafs, or whoever.

24 percent? Hmm. I could live with that.

I imagine that some owners will break ranks if Bettman ignores this offer.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Newsguyone said:

On the contrary, I think this is a very serious offer, and tend to think the league will be able to extract even more in the next round of negotiations. This is quite favorable to the owners, and contains huge concessions.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Newsguyone said:

Exactly. There are probably 10-15 owners with well-run teams and nice revenue bases who were making money to begin with, and didn't really have any problems with the old system. For those guys, these concessions are like gravy, and I have a difficult time believing they'll be wanting to cancel the season with stuff like this on the table.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yes. Now Bettman does not technically need those owners, but does he want discord, especially since this is a very good starting point for a deal? Quite a dilemma.

Lanny MacDonald*

Newsguyone said:

You sound like a guy who is really impressed when a car dealer offers to give him $10,000 off the price of a new car... that is priced $20,000 over market value and has a 40% depreciation rate per year. You look at that big front end discount and completey ignore the long term ramifications of the deal and where you'll be by the end of your loan.

The NHLPA put out a great PR product, but as an offer it does not address the needs of the league. At no time did the NHL ask the players to return any of their past earnings. This is 100% smoke screen and shows it works when people like yourself swallow the hook. You are aware that this "give back" is for players only presently under contract? You are aware that there are 30ish percent of the PA that is not under contract, many of them big ticket players, and they are not included in the "give back". All of these guys get to negotiate new contracts and get to do so free of any sort of control mechanism to keep salaries under control. They still have the ability to hold the gun to the head of their teams and hold the fans hostage. The long term needs of the game have not been met and leave the game subject to risk. The deal is great in the short term, but is worse in the long term. From what I have seen, the game will be in worse shape in two years than they are now.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I agree 1000% with Iconoclast.

I find it ironic that the PA is now offering to give money back, when all along they've been spewing the mantra of "well, nobody put a gun to the owners' heads".

This isn't a monetary dispute. It's a philosophical dispute. The PA refuses to negotiate any system with linkages to revenue, and the owners don't want any part of a system without it.

As far as I'm concerned, we're no closer to a settlement.

SENSible1*

The Iconoclast said:
You sound like a guy who is really impressed when a car dealer offers to give him $10,000 off the price of a new car... that is priced $20,000 over market value and has a 40% depreciation rate per year. You look at that big front end discount and completey ignore the long term ramifications of the deal and where you'll be by the end of your loan.

The NHLPA put out a great PR product, but as an offer it does not address the needs of the league. At no time did the NHL ask the players to return any of their past earnings. This is 100% smoke screen and shows it works when people like yourself swallow the hook. You are aware that this "give back" is for players only presently under contract? You are aware that there are 30ish percent of the PA that is not under contract, many of them big ticket players, and they are not included in the "give back". All of these guys get to negotiate new contracts and get to do so free of any sort of control mechanism to keep salaries under control. They still have the ability to hold the gun to the head of their teams and hold the fans hostage. The long term needs of the game have not been met and leave the game subject to risk. The deal is great in the short term, but is worse in the long term. From what I have seen, the game will be in worse shape in two years than they are now.

Glad to see someone is paying attention.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
The Iconoclast said:

Amen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Iconoclast said:

I don't think too many people would claim that this proposal, if implemented, would work as is. But it is significant progress, and a very good jumping off point. With some negotiating on the luxury tax aspect, it's quite feasible that this framework would work to maintain salaries at a reasonable level.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
MS said:
Exactly. There are probably 10-15 owners with well-run teams and nice revenue bases who were making money to begin with, and didn't really have any problems with the old system. For those guys, these concessions are like gravy, and I have a difficult time believing they'll be wanting to cancel the season with stuff like this on the table.

These concessions just give them 24% more money to spend during the next silly season. Keep the exisiting salaries at 100% and use the 24% reduction only as a base for future contracts.

Brent Burns Beard