OT: Quitting Smoking

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I am quitting as well. Had one slip up in the last 6 days and sure enough it was after a couple of cocktails.

I am doing it cold turkey which certainly isn't for anyone, but is also the cheapest way.

I'll also add that I have not bought a pack in 5 weeks; my friends have pretty much supported my habit over the last month (lol) or so sans the last 6 days.

Martini*

So much wrong in the post I don't know where to start.
Theres always "so much wrong with this post" when somebody has a difference of opinion. Its a cliche.
Drinking is ok in moderation, pretty much anything can be. There is nothing wrong with a few social drinks.
Alcohol is horrible to ones body. I am not here to mother hen a bunch of posters on a message board but thats my opinion on the matter. My body is a shrine and as such I will maintain it correctly in the way that I see fit. Been there, done that, and dont see the point to do it anymore.
Not everybody is the same in regards to quitting smoking. Nicotine gun can be used over time to ween the withdrawal symptoms. Gradually lowering the dosage. It also solves a bit of the oral fixation.
Nicotine gum also gives its user a better chance of getting a stroke and increases the chance of heart disease, and is associated with reproductive toxicity. Yeah, sorry, but cold turkey and proper excercise and diet sound like a much better alternative then all that.
As far as electronic cigarettes I don't know much about them. They are at least not as bad for you as the real thing.
:laugh: E-ciggs have Diethylene Glycol in their vapors which is a much more important sounding word for anti freeze. You know, that same stuff you put in your car. They also run on a mini battery that if broken or over charged and melted, could release nitrosamines into the vapors and give you a faster track to cancer then smoking an actual cigg. Not to mention many E-ciggs are made in China with very little FDA restrictions placed upon them, chances are your beathing that crap reguardless. Not to mention that Nicotine is just extremely harmful for you from the get go. And pulling a nice drag off of an E-cigg can give you a mouthful of nicotine which could be deadly.

I wont even bring up Tetramethylpyrazine and how it can cause brain damage or anything. Had a friend who sold them. They are garbage.
If you're serious you should use every resource possible. Cold turkey is not that easy. There is also the prescription for quitting.
Chantix? The drug that scrambles your brain and gives you suicidal thoughts?:laugh:
Messing with the chemicals in your brain sounds more like a science project with you being the guinea pig them something any sane person whould want to do, but thats my opinion. I have friends who chose Chantix and they were never the same afterwards. Nah, If I wanted to stop smoking, I would do the the old fashioned way. Just stop.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
um, so had my first slip up of the year. gathered up my "smoking paraphernalia" (lighters, matches, the bizarre # of cigarette packages i had in my freezer with 2-3 cigarettes left in each) and took them up to my neighbour to enjoy...and then we sat on the balcony enjoying the unseasonably warm weather had a glass of wine and smoked a bit :facepalm:

...at least i left the paraphernalia up there :shakehead

also, martini shouldn't be criticized for his/her non-drinking stance. i know i'm not always as gracious in my response to his/her posts than i could be...but more power to her/him for not drinking. i respect, not criticize, that.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's beautiful outside today and I love just breathing in the fresh air, my senses are getting better, especially smell. I kind of forgot the difference. And I haven't even been a regular smoker that long. I've been buying packs and smoking regularly since I was 22 (6+ years). Before that, yeah, I'd have one with a friend from time to time but probably only smoked a pack a year. Then I just kind of got around too many people who smoked all the time and smoked a lot and I just allowed myself to get addicted to them and have it be a part of my everyday life. That's uncharacteristic for me but I guess at the same time, it isn't because I let that happen. After this is all over, could I go back to having the odd cigarette like I used to years ago? Absoluletly. But I can't do that for a long time and really I just feel like I have had enough of them. They don't do much for you and the cost is definitely not proportional to what you get in return.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I quit cold turkey almost 7.5 years ago. Only slip ups I've had were on trips to Vegas. The last 2 times I've been there I haven't had a problem which is very difficult when it seems like everyone at the craps table is smoking.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
My last cigarette was on 12/09/11 after smoking for 24 years. So I'm around 13 months now. I used the prescription drug Chantix. That literally is a miracle drug. It makes quitting easy.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
My last cigarette was on 12/09/11 after smoking for 24 years. So I'm around 13 months now. I used the prescription drug Chantix. That literally is a miracle drug. It makes quitting easy.

Mother in law took that... she had to stop because of the dreams it caused her to have. She said she'd have dreams that felt like they lasted for weeks of her just falling in space. However, when she was taking it however she didn't have any craving to smoke, even being around smokers, and the smell disgusted her. Too bad it didn't stick, cause she still smokes like a chimney these days.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Theres always "so much wrong with this post" when somebody has a difference of opinion. Its a cliche.

Alcohol is horrible to ones body. I am not here to mother hen a bunch of posters on a message board but thats my opinion on the matter. My body is a shrine and as such I will maintain it correctly in the way that I see fit. Been there, done that, and dont see the point to do it anymore.

Nicotine gum also gives its user a better chance of getting a stroke and increases the chance of heart disease, and is associated with reproductive toxicity. Yeah, sorry, but cold turkey and proper excercise and diet sound like a much better alternative then all that.

:laugh: E-ciggs have Diethylene Glycol in their vapors which is a much more important sounding word for anti freeze. You know, that same stuff you put in your car. They also run on a mini battery that if broken or over charged and melted, could release nitrosamines into the vapors and give you a faster track to cancer then smoking an actual cigg. Not to mention many E-ciggs are made in China with very little FDA restrictions placed upon them, chances are your beathing that crap reguardless. Not to mention that Nicotine is just extremely harmful for you from the get go. And pulling a nice drag off of an E-cigg can give you a mouthful of nicotine which could be deadly.

I wont even bring up Tetramethylpyrazine and how it can cause brain damage or anything. Had a friend who sold them. They are garbage.

Chantix? The drug that scrambles your brain and gives you suicidal thoughts?:laugh:
Messing with the chemicals in your brain sounds more like a science project with you being the guinea pig them something any sane person whould want to do, but thats my opinion. I have friends who chose Chantix and they were never the same afterwards. Nah, If I wanted to stop smoking, I would do the the old fashioned way. Just stop.

You missed two major points. All of these are meant to be short term solutions to cure a long term health risk. None of them are meant to be used for long periods of time.

The risk of these methods if they work far outweigh the dangers of continued smoking.

Moderation - a glass of wine also has health benefits. What works for one person is not right for everyone. Discounting various methods because you didn't attempt them is short sighted.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
An uninformed response.

This thread belongs in the sticky "Anything goes" thread.

not really. That's the way my father stoped, who a good friend stoped and how I lost a lot of my weight. At some point, you just stop with things. If you really want it, you do it.

Martini*

You missed two major points. All of these are meant to be short term solutions to cure a long term health risk. None of them are meant to be used for long periods of time.
Tell that to a smoker who doesnt have the strength or will power to quit and has been brainwashed into thinking that one of these alternative methods can take the place of smoking thinking the side effects will be less. And in the case of the e-cigg, that doesnt have FDA restrictions in the U.S, you have, for a smoker, an avenue that could be used to replace smoking and is just as bad for if not worse short term then actually smoking tobacco considering when you inhale on an e-cigg, you have no clue specificly just how much nicotine you are putting into your body and god knows what else is on those nicotine cartridges. You need a script for the gum, its regulated, you can also die if you accidently light up after using it, and its been known to happen.

You are putting your life into your own hands messing with alternative methoids to quitting smoking. Instead of actually trying the safe route and just stopping and using the method of diet and exercise. Hey better yet, dont even start with such a filthy habit in the first place and all of this is moot.
The risk of these methods if they work far outweigh the dangers of continued smoking.
Speculation at best considering nobody has any clue how such methods will interact with somebodies body. With an E-cigg, you dont know when or if that battery isnt leaking the day you buy it, nor do you know if taking Chantix is gonna make you launch yourself out of a high story window until you actually consume it. Quitting smoking is similar to a snake oil sales man considering you are rolling the dice with your life and pretty much have nobody to blame if it doesnt work out.
Moderation - a glass of wine also has health benefits.
Still on the moderated drinking? It still murders your liver, in moderation or not. Scientific studies about the benefits of drinking red wine, two 4oz glasses within a 24 hour period, still 3 ounces more then putting your liver at risk yet decreasing the amount doesnt give you the other rewards of red wine. So, you either have ;

A) a chance of turning your liver into a makeshift brick by moderately drinking away yet lowering your chance of heart disease and stroke.

or

b) Getting all the good things red wine does for your body yet ignoring that it still messes with your liver, like putting alcohol into your body isnt something thats just as dangerous as smoking or anyhting.

As you can see, a and b are pretty much the same answer, just reworded. Looking only one way while failing to understand what alcohol actually does to ones body, consumed in moderation or like a flaming drunkard, doesnt change the fact its still, you know, bad for you in the first place, even if they tell you theres so much good from red wine, it still is bad for you, sad but true, and I mean really, its as logical as fire is hot and ice is cold.
What works for one person is not right for everyone. Discounting various methods because you didn't attempt them is short sighted.
Slowly killing yourself in the first place is short sighted. If you dont have that much respect for yourself to put something into your body that will kill you, and has warning on their container that they do indeed kill you yet still go and light up, you have nobody to blame but yourself when and if alternative methods to try and quit dont work. And if its coming off as confrontational I am sorry, smoking is disgusting and in this day and age of knowledge anybody who wants to smoke and pretty much kill themselves slowly deserve to understand the facts that quitting such a filthy habit is on par with a junkie quitting heroin, which in turn makes them a junkie to tobacco.

Dont put yourself in a position where you are a slave to something. Dont start and if you want to quit, use what little inner strentgh you have a quit cold turkey. It can be done and is much better for your health then some silly alternative method/ cop out.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Good luck to everyone trying to quit.

Having lost several family members whose lifelong smoking habit eventually contributed to their demise, it's worth it.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I gave up smoking by simply coming to the realization that I'm gonna have to quit eventually or I'll most likely die. So I might as well save the money and the damage done towards my body and quit.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Tell that to a smoker who doesnt have the strength or will power to quit and has been brainwashed into thinking that one of these alternative methods can take the place of smoking thinking the side effects will be less. And in the case of the e-cigg, that doesnt have FDA restrictions in the U.S, you have, for a smoker, an avenue that could be used to replace smoking and is just as bad for if not worse short term then actually smoking tobacco considering when you inhale on an e-cigg, you have no clue specificly just how much nicotine you are putting into your body and god knows what else is on those nicotine cartridges. You need a script for the gum, its regulated, you can also die if you accidently light up after using it, and its been known to happen.

You are putting your life into your own hands messing with alternative methoids to quitting smoking. Instead of actually trying the safe route and just stopping and using the method of diet and exercise. Hey better yet, dont even start with such a filthy habit in the first place and all of this is moot.

Speculation at best considering nobody has any clue how such methods will interact with somebodies body. With an E-cigg, you dont know when or if that battery isnt leaking the day you buy it, nor do you know if taking Chantix is gonna make you launch yourself out of a high story window until you actually consume it. Quitting smoking is similar to a snake oil sales man considering you are rolling the dice with your life and pretty much have nobody to blame if it doesnt work out.

Still on the moderated drinking? It still murders your liver, in moderation or not. Scientific studies about the benefits of drinking red wine, two 4oz glasses within a 24 hour period, still 3 ounces more then putting your liver at risk yet decreasing the amount doesnt give you the other rewards of red wine. So, you either have ;

A) a chance of turning your liver into a makeshift brick by moderately drinking away yet lowering your chance of heart disease and stroke.

or

b) Getting all the good things red wine does for your body yet ignoring that it still messes with your liver, like putting alcohol into your body isnt something thats just as dangerous as smoking or anyhting.

As you can see, a and b are pretty much the same answer, just reworded. Looking only one way while failing to understand what alcohol actually does to ones body, consumed in moderation or like a flaming drunkard, doesnt change the fact its still, you know, bad for you in the first place, even if they tell you theres so much good from red wine, it still is bad for you, sad but true, and I mean really, its as logical as fire is hot and ice is cold.

Slowly killing yourself in the first place is short sighted. If you dont have that much respect for yourself to put something into your body that will kill you, and has warning on their container that they do indeed kill you yet still go and light up, you have nobody to blame but yourself when and if alternative methods to try and quit dont work. And if its coming off as confrontational I am sorry, smoking is disgusting and in this day and age of knowledge anybody who wants to smoke and pretty much kill themselves slowly deserve to understand the facts that quitting such a filthy habit is on par with a junkie quitting heroin, which in turn makes them a junkie to tobacco.

Dont put yourself in a position where you are a slave to something. Dont start and if you want to quit, use what little inner strentgh you have a quit cold turkey. It can be done and is much better for your health then some silly alternative method/ cop out.

This post is perfectly in line with all of your opinions on hockey, woefully misinformed and ignorant.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I don't get why you say also quitting drinking goes without saying? I mean, yeah, booze can be bad for you in a way but it's not an addiction the way cigarettes are.

Huh? Am I missing some context here or do you really believe that people can't get addicted to booze and need it whenever they are awake?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

or

You're off your rocker as usual. You can save some time and just type "I'm better than everyone else.."

Martini*

This post is perfectly in line with all of your opinions on hockey, woefully misinformed and ignorant.
Sure. What part of smoking and alcohol are bad for you is misinformation?:laugh:

You're off your rocker as usual. You can save some time and just type "I'm better than everyone else.."
By thinking better of myself for not allowing myself to fall for recreational vices that do nothing for me but have a history of killing oneself slowly?

Hmmmm

Martini*

I don't get why you say also quitting drinking goes without saying? I mean, yeah, booze can be bad for you in a way but it's not an addiction the way cigarettes are.

Best of luck, though. I've had a few buddies go through this in the last couple of years; certainly isn't an easy thing.
Tell that to an alcoholic.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
martini sounds like my mom. apparently, I'm not allowed to keep my cell phone in my pocket any more

Hawks82

Dec 4, 2011
I quit smoking on Jan 1st. I bought a BLU electronic cigarette and it's been fantastic.

The nicotine cartridges have 3 basic ingredients. Distilled water, FCC grade vegetable glycerine, nicotine. The high level nicotine cartridges have 18 mg's of nicotine.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad