Votes: 114 56.7%
  • Slafkosvky

Votes: 87 43.3%

• Total voters

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Slafkovsky has the better shooting arsenal and is stronger along the boards.

Slafkovsky at 19 has 41 points and 15 goals in 72 games and is only 12 points behind Byfield playing on a worse team.

Byfield at the same age as Slafkovsky had 10 points in 40 games, and at 20 had 23 points in 55 games.

Frankly I'm surprised Byfield is running away with this. Especially since the question isn't who is better right now.
You are? Slafs a Hab.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Lol, im a big fan of both players. I'm simply stating the facts of Slafkovsky being more productive than Byfield at 19 and 20 years old.
I am simply stating the facts that Kotkaniemi was more productive than Byfield at age 18 and that Lance Armstrong was doped.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am simply stating the facts that Kotkaniemi was more productive than Byfield at age 18 and that Lance Armstrong was doped.

Yup, he was affectionately known as Quittin Bustfield on this forum until this year.

You would think in a thread about these two in particular that you wouldn’t hold development path against QB but here we are

I’m glad for slaf that he’s emerged faster to quiet some critics but I don’t think either guy is running up against their upside right now. Like I said above if anything slaf has a stronger Identity and a more defined role while Byfield is still a giant ball of clay even at this point. And as strong as they both are I don’t think either scrapes what they’re totally capable of until they fully grow into their man strength.

Reactions: Felidae

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Last half season (41 games):
Slaf: 13 goals, 20 assists, 33 points
Byfield: 11 goals, 19 assists, 30 points

Slaf is 2.5 years younger
Is my math wrong.

Byfield is 21 now, Aug birthday.

Slaf just turned 20 yesterday.

Wouldn't that be like 1.5 years apart?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Kotkaniemi didn't show progression after his rookie season. Both Byfield and Slafkovsky did.

Either way not really sure what prompted your smart-ass comment in the first place that adds nothing to the discussion. It's not unreasonable to pick the player that's been more productive at the same age. Especially since they are both raw talents.

But yes, development is often not linear, and faster progression doesn't always mean said player ends up better.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Byfield is a little better right now but Slaf in 2 years could be a monster. I think I would take Slafkovsky simply because he’s tracking ahead in terms of timeline, but obviously development isn’t linear. It’s just so close otherwise. Slaf is already looking like a defensive beast as well and racking up very solid hit and block numbers compared to QB (126 hits to 59, 69 blks to 18)

Both of these guys are probably going to end up in 70-85 pts range and good all around players so you can’t go wrong. Every team could use 3 or 4 of these guys. Slaf had 2 pts in 15 games to start the season playing 3rd line with Anderson but has been something like a 60 or 65 point pace since getting put with Suzuki and Caufield. He’s played 58% of his EV ice time with them at this point whereas Byfield has played 58% with Kopitar and Kempe. Pretty comparable.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Even. Prior to this year I had Byfield as a comparable for Slaf.

They’re young highly skilled players with size and frame, pretty rare and valuable player.

Reactions: Habano

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Close, but Slaf to me. But I'm a happy Habs fan to think that Slaf is in the same mold than Byfield. I think both are young big two-way player and have potential to dominate for many years to come.

I really like Byfield, he is a monster, but Slaf have already elite puck protection at 19, I can't just imagine how he will be at 21.

It's a question of preference, both are going to be 1st liner player for long time.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Slafkovský has a higher potential and is ahead in development too relative to their ages so can only be him. Byfield is having a really good year too though, nothing away from him.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
As of right now Byfield has been projected to be on Team Canada 2026, Slafkovsky is nowhere near that level yet
Huh? Think you got that backwards

I havent seen a single team Canada projected roster with Byfield on it

Slaf on the other hand is almost sure to make team Slovakia

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Close, but Slaf to me. But I'm a happy Habs fan to think that Slaf is in the same mold than Byfield. I think both are young big two-way player and have potential to dominate for many years to come.

I really like Byfield, he is a monster, but Slaf have already elite puck protection at 19, I can't just imagine how he will be at 21.

It's a question of preference, both are going to be 1st liner player for long time.
I like both players a lot. Both are big strong players that are going to be a problem for defenders for years to come.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love Byfield since he was drafted and love him even more now.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I really like both players. I take Byfield if he ends up at C and Slaf if they both stay wingers. Hard choice

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Slafkovsky all the way. Byfield can go play other ice sports than hockey, curling would be perfect for him, Slafkovský is future star NHL winger.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Byfield is more athletic, but Slafkovsky has better hockey sense and hands by decent margin. This is Slafs second season playing North American hockey and you can see how his head is starting to process the game in the right pace. Slafkovsky has potential to be player who runs the orchestra and makes player around him better. I don’t see similar potential in Byfield who has a chance to be elite complimentary player.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield is more athletic, but Slafkovsky has better hockey sense and hands by decent margin. This is Slafs second season playing North American hockey and you can see how his head is starting to process the game in the right pace. Slafkovsky has potential to be player who runs the orchestra and makes player around him better. I don’t see similar potential in Byfield who has a chance to be elite complimentary player.

What

He's literally doing that right now on the first line of a playoff team...there are a LOT of problems with the Kings and QB hides many of them

Observe Kopitar's and Kempe's #s without him, he's the carrier, that's supported by the eye test.

1712271114285.png

Reactions: Felidae

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad