Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'll also drop this here. I know of one more person in the org who was informed they wouldn't be coming back next season that hasn't been announced yet. 🤫
Noooo, not Sharkie!

Other former Sharks players and/or coaches who may be available:

George Kingston
Joel Ward (VGK AC)
Marco Sturm (AHL Ontario HC)
Kingston would be hilarious. I could see hiring an old fan favorite player as meat for the grinder next year... Wardo or Sturm would be fun. No idea if any good as coaches.

I hope it's David Carle - the current HC for University of Denver.
I'm just not sure why he'd take the job. I guess it's the only vacant NHL position?
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but when is the last time a college coach (like straight out of college) succeeded in the pros of any sport?
A fair few college football guys. Jim Harbaugh, notably. Barry Switzer. Pete Carroll, but he had to fail in the NFL first and then come back from college. Chip Kelley was good, and then mediocre. Bill O'Brien did OK.

Google AI notifies me that Gregg Popovich is probably the best name on this list.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Interesting, I definitely thought things lined up for Quinn to coach next season (tanking for 1 more year while starting to bring in more young guys) and then be replaced once his contract expired. Grier's previous comments also made it seem like they weren't going to make big moves quite yet but that changes were going to start happening (ie next summer).

I guess the locker room complained more about Quinn than expected. For the next hire, hoping to see either Carle or Warsofsky. Also surprising to see them hold onto McCarthy, but maybe he gets another year to see if there is improvement with a better system.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I do think Jay did get a bit shafted with Edmonton
Why do you think he was shafted in Edmonton? He had one good season (Like most NHL coaches do when they join a new team) then his team came out of the gates competing with San Jose and Chicago for the worst team in the league.

Reactions: Sandisfan

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020

Berube
Carle
Evason (original Shark)
Gallant
Love
Nasreddine
Woodcroft

Carle, Gallant, Evason sounds good. Black Coaches are not out of the question here. Kevin Weeks, Anson Carter and P. K. Subban come to mind. Remember Rick Tocchet (not black) came out from the TNT broadcast booth and coach the Canucks?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Gallant did make Vegas a pretty nasty team to play against. Do people dislike him? I really don’t like his face but I don’t hate what he did with that team, especially at the beginning.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Weekes, Carter and Subban do not seem to want to leave TV.

Joel Ward has a few seasons as AC. First in AHL, now as NHL.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Berube makes a lot of sense. Hard ass coach who can get maximum effort from the roster for a few years before he's inevitably replaced by the guy who's actually going to be The Guy for us.

Reactions: tiburon12

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Evason had been a favorite of mine since they traded for him in the first season for the Sharks.
He’d have a number of guys that he’s coached. He had a good record at Minnesota.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Berube makes a lot of sense. Hard ass coach who can get maximum effort from the roster for a few years before he's inevitably replaced by the guy who's actually going to be The Guy for us.
Not a fan of that idea...seems like a piece of shit who whipped up one of the dirtiest teams in awhile with the Blues. No thanks.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Wardo after Vegas wins cup #2 would be awesome. But whoever they hire they're going to have to fire again in a few years once the pieces are in place anyways, so they should've just kept Quinn.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Will Smith's condition for joining the Sharks: no BU alums. Grier's next.
Guy's gonna be a player-coach-GM right off the bat.

To be honest, I'm thinking Grier wants the next coach to be The Guy who helps the team grow in a direction Grier and the coach both agree. In my mind, Quinn was the replaceable guy, but he just got replaced a bit ahead of the schedule me (and probably many here) had in mind.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Carle, Gallant, Evason sounds good. Black Coaches are not out of the question here. Kevin Weeks, Anson Carter and P. K. Subban come to mind. Remember Rick Tocchet (not black) came out from the TNT broadcast booth and coach the Canucks?
Tocchet was head coach for the Lighting and the Yotes, and assistant coach for the penguins (back to back cups) prior to his TV gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad