Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Brodie drops 3 names, Todd McLellan, Jay Woodcroft and Jay Leach. Interesting ideas.
Other former Sharks players and/or coaches who may be available:

George Kingston
Joel Ward (VGK AC)
Marco Sturm (AHL Ontario HC)
Ryane Clowe (NYR AC)
Brad Staubitz (minor leagues)
(plus a bunch of goalies like Steve Shields, etc., but I doubt they might be considered for HC job)
Ron Wilson (retired?)
Daryl Suter (retired?)

Jim Montgomery (Boston HC) - probably wouldn't be interested

GMMG has NOT provided the qualities he's considering (yet).

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Quinn's whole idea of owning the "inside rink" just resulted in the boards being free play for the other teams in the end. An interesting idea system wise but not realistic for how pucks move in the defensive zone. Felt like there was a lot of collapsing to the middle structurally to defend but then the wingers would have to skate hard from the slot to the point to support a breakout attempt. Usually they were late to the puck and the other team had possession again and they're just defending a point shot instead.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I really liked Quinn as a person but it does seem like maybe some guys didn’t like some things that happened internally.

Very, very curious who the next coach will be and it certainly feels like Grier intends this team to not be the trash fire that it currently is.

I don’t get the McCarthy thing but as I said in another thread, it’s hard to deny that Eklund, Bordeleau and Gushchin all grew a lot under him, so who knows. Maybe it WAS Quinn’s dumb system.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I wouldn’t mind Jay Woodcroft. I also liked Mclellan and don’t think it would be a bad idea to bring him back. I also would love if like…Joe Thornton was given the job with Marleau next to him on the bench!
I will throw a fit if the next coach is someone with no qualifications save being a former Shark.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I would laugh if Mclellan or Woodcroft got hired. Both of them failed with much better rosters than the 2023-24 Sharks. Hopefully if either of them comes back we get to witness the 1-1-2 PK again. That was good times.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I hope it's David Carle - the current HC for University of Denver. The team that beat BC in the finals. I would be so hyped. David Carle is a dude we could build a team around. Up and coming, knows how to develop players and knows how to win. I really hope they did this because Carle became available.

He worked under Jim Montgomery for 4 years and then replaced him as HC of U of D. Carle has won 2 NCAA Championships in the last 3 years and this year's WJHC HC for Team USA's Championship. Dude is ready for the next step.

stevesharksf

Apr 1, 2011

George Kingston
Joel Ward (VGK AC)
Ryane Clowe (NYR AC)
(plus a bunch of goalies like Steve Shields, etc., but I doubt they might be considered for HC job)
Ron Wilson (retired?)
Daryl Suter (retired?)

Ryan Clowe! I want to see him teach these techniques .... . I saw this game on TV, it was awesome (as a sharks fan).

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
I wouldn’t mind Jay Woodcroft. I also liked Mclellan and don’t think it would be a bad idea to bring him back. I also would love if like…Joe Thornton was given the job with Marleau next to him on the bench!

Trying to force a Hollywood script for your actual team rarely works out. This team needs someone who has shown he can develop a bunch of young kids. Not wishes and dreams.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I hope it's David Carle - the current HC for University of Denver. The team that beat BC in the finals. I would be so hyped. David Carle is a dude we could build a team around. Up and coming, knows how to develop players and knows how to win. I really hope they did this because Carle became available.

He worked under Jim Montgomery for 4 years and then replaced him as HC of U of D. Carle has won 2 NCAA Championships in the last 3 years and this year's WJHC HC for Team USA's Championship. Dude is ready for the next step.
Carle already committed to coaching the 2025 US WJC team. He’ll be a great coach and I would love to have him, but that’s why I thought we’d want to hang on to Quinn for one more year, then try and entice Carle over.

However, some of the comments from Grier make me feel like there’s something under the surface with Quinn. I wonder if it has to do with how many times this team gave up a couple of goals and simply imploded. It’s one thing to lose, it’s another not to put up a fight at all.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

George Kingston
Joel Ward (VGK AC)
Ryane Clowe (NYR AC)
Ron Wilson (retired?)
Daryl Suter (retired?)

I'm just impressed that George Kingston is still alive. 84! The most recent picture of him was in a neck brace, though, so I'm thinking the challenge of this Sharks team might be better suited for a slightly younger person.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think that Kingston's time behind the bench is probably done. (Perhaps should be grouped with RW and Sutter in the retired category. Although Sumner un-retired to work in WHL early season addition.)

Reactions: landshark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Carle already committed to coaching the 2025 US WJC team. He’ll be a great coach and I would love to have him, but that’s why I thought we’d want to hang on to Quinn for one more year, then try and entice Carle over.

However, some of the comments from Grier make me feel like there’s something under the surface with Quinn. I wonder if it has to do with how many times this team gave up a couple of goals and simply imploded. It’s one thing to lose, it’s another not to put up a fight at all.

Yeah, this feels sort of unplanned. They’re friends, they know each other for a long time, it’s not like this record can be blamed on Quinn. Obviously there were some internal issues that we won’t ever be privy to unless @Sheng Peng, our local gumshoe, hits the pavement and shakes up some leads.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If anyone is in denial it's the guy who's "1000% confident" Warsofsky will be the next HC when the GM just made zero reference to him as a candidate except to say he's free to go work for another team.
Sick straw man argument when nobody has said anything about any certainty about any coaching candidate. Par for the course.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but when is the last time a college coach (like straight out of college) succeeded in the pros of any sport?

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
More shocked by the JMac and Tufts news than Quinn.

I appreciate Quinn for what he did for Karlsson, and the Macklin odds.

My early list for my coaching candidates.

Dream:
- David Carle (I know that's a long shot hence the dream)

Highly intriguing:
- Joel Ward (AC for Vegas)
- Marco Sturm (HC of Ontario)

Cautiously optimistic:
- Jay Pandolfo (HC of BC)
- Jeff Halpern (AC for TBL)
- Ryan Warsofsky

Could be fun if it has to be a retread:
- Bruce Boudreau

Mid but intriguing if it’s a retread:
- Todd McLellan

Eh, if it’s a retread:
- Jay Woodcroft
- Don Granato

Please, no:
- John McCarthy
- Mike Babcock
- Joel Quenneville
- Geoff Ward
- Gerard Gallant
- DJ Smith
- Craig Berube
- Jeff Blashill
- Lane Lambert

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
More shocked by the JMac and Tufts news than Quinn.

I appreciate Quinn for what he did for Karlsson, and the Macklin odds.

My early list for my coaching candidates.

Dream:
- David Carle (I know that's a long shot hence the dream)

Highly intriguing:
- Joel Ward (AC for Vegas)
- Marco Sturm (HC of Ontario)

Cautiously optimistic:
- Jay Pandolfo (HC of BC)
- Jeff Halpern (AC for TBL)
- Ryan Warsofsky

Could be fun if it has to be a retread:
- Bruce Boudreau

Mid but intriguing if it’s a retread:
- Todd McLellan

Eh, if it’s a retread:
- Jay Woodcroft
- Don Granato

Please, no:
- John McCarthy
- Mike Babcock
- Joel Quenneville
- Geoff Ward
- Gerard Gallant
- DJ Smith
- Craig Berube
- Jeff Blashill
- Lane Lambert
Where would you put Jay Leach in these categories. He’s an intriguing option to me. Halpern was also a guy I was intrigued by before Quinn was hired.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but when is the last time a college coach (like straight out of college) succeeded in the pros of any sport?
Jim Montgomery had pretty immediate success and Pete Carroll did make the playoffs immediately albeit with a 7-9 record.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Where would you put Jay Leach in these categories. He’s an intriguing option to me. Halpern was also a guy I was intrigued by before Quinn was hired.
Good question. Probably with Warsofsky at the bottom of my ‘Cautiously optimistic’ tier. Would’ve liked to have seen some more development from the Kraken this year. I could see him being the heir apparent there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad