Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've never shared this before on this forum, because I've yapped about things that I've heard on the inside. I've never shared his name or said who he was, so I wouldn't reveal a name or even what the person did in the organization, I guess I can now. I never said anything that would get him in trouble after the fact.

Ray Tufts is a family friend. We go back a long ways. He's a bit older than I am.

He's arguably the best in the business and that's not even my opinion. He's highly regarded around the league. He was with the 49ers for years before he came to the Sharks.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I've never shared this before on this forum, because I've yapped about things that I've heard on the inside. I've never shared his name or said who he was, so I wouldn't reveal a name or even what the person did in the organization, I guess I can now. I never said anything that would get him in trouble after the fact.

Ray Tufts is a family friend. We go back a long ways. He's a bit older than I am.

He's arguably the best in the business and that's not even my opinion. He's highly regarded around the league. He was with the 49ers for years before he came to the Sharks.
This one honestly surprised me more than DQ

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I’m actually kind of shocked i thought Quinn deserved 1 more year. The start of the season I wanted him gone but once Grier had that meeting things changed considerably. Timing is just odd like most of you have said

Reactions: Hangemhigh

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

Ah, they found the leak /s

I'm way more intrigued about Ray than Quinn. Like, I can't recall this happening to a long-tenured trainer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This one honestly surprised me more than DQ
The only thing I really don't wanna say too much right now is that I am not at all surprised. Just because it's fresh, I don't really wanna say too much about it.

He's let me know things in the past, like about T-Mac being on the hot seat (even though he lasted another 3 years or so) and some things that went on years and years ago.

He was hired by Lombardi, but he survived the entirety of the Doug Wilson era. In some ways, I'm a little surprised this didn't happen last year or maybe even the year before with the GM change.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm really surprised that Tufts was let go; he's a legend.

Quinn...I was sure he would get another year. But, I suppose it shows that Grier is willing to make the tough decisions.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Sharks had the most man games lost to injury this year. Obviously not Tufts fault but maybe the Sharks felt it was an easy time to let him go?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Quinn is a legitimately awful coach, so I'm not sad to see him go in the slightest, but I'm worried about who the replacement will be

My money is on Gallant, who is an underratedly bad coach in his own right, but from a culture perspective it could certainly be worse

I doubt Sullivan is on the market any time soon, he's got a multi-year extention that hasn't even started yet

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Certainly feels like Grier has no intention of repeating the same level of on-ice “success” as last year. Thank god.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
How did he get fired before McCarthy

At the very least if McCarthy is back he'll be using a different system. That's something.

I'm a little surprised that if he's willing to fire Quinn, McCarthy isn't out the door with him, though.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I kinda figured he'd be gone, you can't set the cap era record for least points in a full season and run it back and pretend it's not an intentional tank job, Quinn didn't stand a chance

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Quinn is a legitimately awful coach, so I'm not sad to see him go in the slightest, but I'm worried about who the replacement will be

My money is on Gallant, who is an underratedly bad coach in his own right, but from a culture perspective it could certainly be worse

I doubt Sullivan is on the market any time soon, he's got a multi-year extention that hasn't even started yet
My guess is Warsofsky gets the job. He was on a number of "coaching candidate lists" I've seen around the interwebs. Dumping Quinn now could be to hold onto a guy that they think can be a big piece long-term as a HC. With a number of HC jobs either open or about to open, think they're trying to keep hold of the guy that they want long-term.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ah, they found the leak /s

I'm way more intrigued about Ray than Quinn. Like, I can't recall this happening to a long-tenured trainer.
Ray is coming up on 60, so he probably wasn't going to work too many more years.

Assistant athletic trainer Wes Howard left I think as soon as the GM change happened? And they brought in a younger guy to replace him. I believe Wes left because of the demanding schedule and he had been with the team for 25 years or so.

Just last year the Rangers let go of Jim Ramsay, who had been with the Rangers about as long as Ray had been with the Sharks. He was hired by Montreal right away, because Jeff Gorton is the president of hockey ops there and was the GM with the Rangers before that, so there was that connection. He's also a big Team Canada athletic trainer guy, kind of like how Ray and the St. Louis Ray are/were the team USA athletic trainer guys.

I believe Ray was one of the longest tenured athletic trainers in the league. The one for the Blackhawks just retired after last year after about 35 years. Ray Barille in St. Louis may have had him beat by a year or two. Boston's guy just retired a couple of years ago after close to 30 years.

I think it was only a matter of time.

aircobra

May 4, 2013
Surprised but okay with Quinn. It was obvious he wasn't the long-term choice. Just didn't think it would happen until next year.

Ray not coming back sucks. He's one of the best in the business. He was my neighbor when I was growing up, back when he was with the 49ers. He's the reason I got to meet guys like Rice and Young. Definitely one of the good ones.

• Wow
Reactions: drunksage

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
My guess is Warsofsky gets the job. He was on a number of "coaching candidate lists" I've seen around the interwebs. Dumping Quinn now could be to hold onto a guy that they think can be a big piece long-term as a HC. With a number of HC jobs either open or about to open, think they're trying to keep hold of the guy that they want long-term.
I'd like to see what he can do, but since we haven't seen Grier hire anyone other than Quinn at HC so far it's hard to know what he values

Whether he wants a veteran to set the tone for the culture or if he wants a younger promising mind, I guess we're about to find out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad