Questions raised from Gobekli Tepe

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I'm not a scientist, or historian, but I have been fascinated by the discoveries at Gobekli Tepe and how it predates the Neolithic period (correct me if I am wrong) and yet those people (500 estimated) would have required food and lodging while building the temple. The area shows no evidence of dwellings. So the theory that religion or organized worship arrived after the domestication of grains and impending agricultural societies gets pushed aside. These hunter gatherers produced this temple thousands of years "ahead of its time.".

Looking at human populations it seems there was a huge increase upon the domestication of grain. I find it hard to believe that we just lucked upon the perfect mutation of genes to produce the thresh-able version of wheat for example. The fact that some of the earliest evidence of domesticated wheat occurred not 20 miles away from Gobekli Tepe prompts me to ask if it is more than just a coincidence. I wonder if our scientific brain was in full swing as generations of prehistoric geneticists worked over centuries to develop food found in the wild in a controlled way. It was their genome project. I often wondered why all of a sudden we came up with agriculture, when we had been around in the same form (more or less) for 150,000 - 200,000 years. What took so long, and how did the emergence of Gobekli Tepe play a part in this huge revolutionary step?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I heard about this on the joe rogan podcast

As for why it took a long time to develop agriculture, I think part of it is misconception. Societies still exist that are hunter gatherer.

I remember seeing (or I could have heard about my memory is very vague) an interview with this african tribesman and they literally live off this one bean. The interviewer asks "why don't you plant the bean and grow more?" and the tribesman gets this confused look on his face "why would we plant more? It already grows and we have all we want." I wish i could find it, anyways.

We have this idea of the life of a hunter gather as this brutal existence, but this tribesman had a pretty leisurely life. Contrast picking berries with tilling acres of soil. The berries just grow again, you don't need to replant them or even know how they grow. If you don't know how certain plants grow as a farmer you can kill the soil.

Regarding gobeki teple, Ive done small amounts of reading on it, and it seems that there is pretty strong evidence that they were still a hunting society, so I'm not that convinced. I'd have to look into it more.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad