Questions about NHL game finishes

captainpierce

Feb 1, 2007
1. Does anyone know the record for latest game-tying goal? I know the playoff record was in 2003, when Matt Cooke of the Canucks scored with 1.2 seconds left against the Wild, but I don't know the overall record.

2. Has any team ever come back to tie a game after giving up an empty-net goal? What I'm picturing is some team one goal behind pulling their goalie with a minute or more left, giving up an empty-net goal, but scoring two quick goals to tie it up. Has anything like that ever happened?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1. Does anyone know the record for latest game-tying goal? I know the playoff record was in 2003, when Matt Cooke of the Canucks scored with 1.2 seconds left against the Wild, but I don't know the overall record.

2. Has any team ever come back to tie a game after giving up an empty-net goal? What I'm picturing is some team one goal behind pulling their goalie with a minute or more left, giving up an empty-net goal, but scoring two quick goals to tie it up. Has anything like that ever happened?

1. I am not sure if this is a record but I recall this goal by Brent Fedyk (neutral site game) when he scored with less than a second remaining:

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pressbox/ThisDateInHistory/1882.asp

With their goaltender pulled from the ice for the extra skater, left wing Brent Fedyk scored at 19:59.2 of the third period to tie the score at 5-5. A scoreless five-minute overtime period made the final score, a 5-5 tie.

2. Yes. At least one that I recall. The Kings performed the comeback against the Flyers in Los Angeles. It happened on January 27, 1982. Here is the box:

http://flyershistory.net/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19810522

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

I remember in the early 90s someone beat Hasek when he was with the Hawks with like .001 of a second left to tie the game. I remember seeing the replay of it and it crossed the line when there was only a fraction of a second left. I think it was a hawks/stars game or a hawks/blues game but to this day i can remember hasek in the hawks throwback jerseys they wore in 92 giving up that goal. I was pissed...I remember he was doing that thing he does where he lays on his back across the net and the puck just slid right past him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad