Question on Tucker Poolman

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He's tough to really pin down.

Impressive toolkit.
Scores well, unless you account for his age, as he's a lot older than many think.

Jets offered him an ELC last summer but he said no and went back to school for another year.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
If he can play like a smarter Postma, I'll take that on my 3rd pairing. Good on Poolman to look at completing another year of school. That ****'s important, and he realises the long shot had has at making the show.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
While possible, I'm doubtful.

PCS never has had players like him over 10% shot of making the NHL, let a lone be as dominant as Byfuglien - a bonafide top 20 d-man IMO.

Maybe like a 3rd pair version of Buff.

I'm optimistic that that PCS may underrate his chances somewhat, given his somewhat unique path in hockey thus far. Don't forget that his primary sport was football until just a few years ago. There is mounting evidence that multi-sport athletes will reach higher heights in their chosen sport, once they commit, than those who focused exclusively on one sport from a young age, as many hockey players do.

He is by no means a guarantee, but I would place his chances at better than the 10% you've quoted, on that basis alone.

Of course, given Chevy's challenges in assessing NHL talent, his odds may also be quite a bit lless:sarcasm:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
If he can play like a smarter Postma, I'll take that on my 3rd pairing. Good on Poolman to look at completing another year of school. That ****'s important, and he realises the long shot had has at making the show.

if hes smarter than postma he has class a smarts

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Late bloomer.

Very good skater.

Good size.

If he has enough smarts and puck skills I think he has a chance to be a good bottom pairing D.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Late bloomer.

Very good skater.

Good size.

If he has enough smarts and puck skills I think he has a chance to be a good bottom pairing D.
I like the way he moves the puck too. Im really curious to see him transition to the pro game next year with the Moose.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
While possible, I'm doubtful.

PCS never has had players like him over 10% shot of making the NHL, let a lone be as dominant as Byfuglien - a bonafide top 20 d-man IMO.

Maybe like a 3rd pair version of Buff.

I think his circumstances are quite unique given the fact that he grew so much after high school. His development progression just seems to be a year or two later than what one would expect from most players. Further complicating any kind of statistical analysis is that he played a good portion of last year at forward.

One comparable I could think of was Danny Dekeyeser. As I am sure you are aware he went to university two years after the year he was draft eligible and played three years in university before being signed by the Red Wings as a free agent as a 23 year old. Its interesting that his university stats were not at all overwhelming but he was still considered one of the top few free agents available that year out of university. Given that he was highly sought after as a free agent it is clear that in the case of Dekeyser scouts saw elements of his game that would likely translate to the NHL.

After seeing Poolman play at development camp for a couple of years I have been intrigued by his potential and I was looking for him to have a break out this year on defence this year and he appears to be doing just that.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'm optimistic that that PCS may underrate his chances somewhat, given his somewhat unique path in hockey thus far. Don't forget that his primary sport was football until just a few years ago. There is mounting evidence that multi-sport athletes will reach higher heights in their chosen sport, once they commit, than those who focused exclusively on one sport from a young age, as many hockey players do.

He is by no means a guarantee, but I would place his chances at better than the 10% you've quoted, on that basis alone.

Of course, given Chevy's challenges in assessing NHL talent, his odds may also be quite a bit lless:sarcasm:

You're thinking Copp there.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I am too.

I always say, guys like Poolman are the ones that tend to beat their odds. I said the same thing previously with Copp (who is actually the football guy I believe).

But, at the same time, just like Copp, I still like to use it to keep expectations realistic.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Future Buff.

No I dont think so. I've watched him a few times on tv. He does play a similar game, but he doesn't take them over even though he's playing against younger competition. The upside just isn't there. His upside is closer to Paul Postma than buff.

nyrcup94

Jul 14, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit site
No I dont think so. I've watched him a few times on tv. He does play a similar game, but he doesn't take them over even though he's playing against younger competition. The upside just isn't there. His upside is closer to Paul Postma than buff.

Would you trade Poolman for a 3rd rounder in this year's draft? Is his potential higher than what could be drafted in the 3rd round?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Would you trade Poolman for a 3rd rounder in this year's draft? Is his potential higher than what could be drafted in the 3rd round?

Personally? no.

His upside is probably about = for a 3rd rounder.

On the other hand, he's likely in the AHL next year, and our AHL team desperately needs d-man help.

It's unlikely i think for us to get a dman as "AHL Ready" for next year for the trade so it's probably best to hold onto him, though it also depends on how this draft ends up looking.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Interesting... so while he's got perfectly good reasons to stay and play there next season it also means the possibility of us getting Jimmy Vesey'd at the end of the year. With a top 4 like Buff-Toby-Trouba-Myers and Morrissey knocking on the door maybe he doesn't see room for himself here in the future? Have to also consider he'd probably start in the AHL regardless and that the team who bids the highest would likely have high expectations (or a need) of him in their future plans.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Interesting... so while he's got perfectly good reasons to stay and play there next season it also means the possibility of us getting Jimmy Vesey'd at the end of the year. With a top 4 like Buff-Toby-Trouba-Myers and Morrissey knocking on the door maybe he doesn't see room for himself here in the future? Have to also consider he'd probably start in the AHL regardless and that the team who bids the highest would likely have high expectations (or a need) of him in their future plans.

*Mark Wheeler'd

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
*Mark Wheeler'd

"Mark" Wheeler’s ;) version is that he only went the free agent rout because Phoenix refused to burn the first ELC year of his deal. Vessy went free agent in spite of this being on the table and I expect that if possible it will be part of the Jets offer to Poolman.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This may turn out bad if he has a really good season & refuses to sign with us. I suspect not (and we'll get him signed at an elevated cost -- or he burns an extra year on signing).

If it was Connor or even Vesey, yes huge loss. Poolman - meh

CaptainKirk316

Feb 8, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm speculating but as someone with brothers.. The desire to play with a family member, especially in his situation (probably playing ECHL/AHL at best) would be a pretty good draw to stick out 1 more year as a elite #1 on a team pushing for a championship.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm speculating but as someone with brothers.. The desire to play with a family member, especially in his situation (probably playing ECHL/AHL at best) would be a pretty good draw to stick out 1 more year as a elite #1 on a team pushing for a championship.

Not mention an elevated role on the team. Troy Stetcher (UFA to VAN) and Keaton Thompson (ANA) have both left school early and rumor is that Paul LaDue is going to sign in LA...that leaves him as the #1 D with a ton of ice time, top units on both special teams as well. With Jost coming in, Poolman stands to rack up a lot of points feeding pucks up the middle to him and Boeser all season long.

I'm not so worried about being Vessey'd (or Wheeler'd or Van Ryn'd or Gregoire'd or Schultz'd), I think Poolman comes out after his Junior year a much more ready prospect and he'll be happy to play in Winnipeg (with either team) and the Jets (and Moose) will be happy to have him here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad