OT: Question for Toronto people

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Currently in talks with a company to bring me over to Toronto, they asked me to make them a proposal on a role/salary, I'd be interested in.

So I'm just wondering what's a minimum salary to be decently comfortable there? Is 65-75K as a base enough to cover expenses?
This is a start up, so I'm looking at a base+commissions/bonuses+shares type of compensation structure. I do not want to move to Toronto though and be stressed to cover my monthly expenses.
I'd be staying either downtown or in North York area.

Any advice would be appreciated. Figured I'd try here before the Leafs board.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Currently in talks with a company to bring me over to Toronto, they asked me to make them a proposal on a role/salary, I'd be interested in.

So I'm just wondering what's a minimum salary to be decently comfortable there? Is 65-75K as a base enough to cover expenses?
This is a start up, so I'm looking at a base+commissions/bonuses+shares type of compensation structure. I do not want to move to Toronto though and be stressed to cover my monthly expenses.

I know at my office in Montreal, they allow us to go to Toronto but will only increase our salary 10K more. Definitely not enough from what I gathered to maintain the same type of living, I live here.

Curious as well

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Honestly it depends on your age and how you spend your money. That amount would be good if you’re a pretty conservative person.

From what I know about you you seem like you’re over the flashy and fast stuff, which is what would cost you a pretty penny in Toronto compared to Montreal.

Reactions: sandviper

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada

Google "Numbeo compare cities" and thank me later.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

That salary in the GTA will only go so far.........

Difference in take home pay i.e after tax was $400 ish more in my pocket every month from changing office (455 in Gatineau to Carling out in Kanata). That's a miserable bump up to cover the HUGE bump in real estate cost or rent.

A $1600/month apt in MTL is probably $2500 monthly in North York and about $3300 monthly downtown.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
You're talking of about a bump of 40% in rent, if not more, depending on your location.

Try living closer to the Niagara peninsula. Need to be on the road? Go to office?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Its completely doable living both in Toronto or North York at 65/75k, and living decently. It’s the most populous city in the country and people who make half of that make it work.

I don’t know enough about you (family planning, lifestyle, loans), but my cousin and family of 4 live 15 min walk from the CN Tower, have a $3500/m condo, 5 series BMW, vacation annually and they make a combined $140k. They aren’t rolling in it but they aren’t eating Mac and Cheese.

Factor in tax savings and it can work.

Reactions: ArsHabs

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Its completely doable living both in Toronto or North York at 65/75k, and living decently. It’s the most populous city in the country and people who make half of that make it work.

I don’t know enough about you (family planning, lifestyle, loans), but my cousin and family of 4 live 15 min walk from the CN Tower, have a $3500/m condo, 5 series BMW, vacation annually and they make a combined $140k. They aren’t rolling in it but they aren’t eating Mac and Cheese.

Factor in tax savings and it can work.
I need their accountant.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I'd look more towards what comparable jobs in your field are making in Toronto than what you think you can manage on, or you'd be underselling yourself. Job market is really good recently, especially for sales - you might ask 65-75K and they were prepared to offer you 90k and you'd never know it

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Oh, you’ll be perfectly fine with 65-75k + commissions. Even downtown.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I need their accountant.

My cousin is one actually. She’s a stay at home mom. She does work at the Raptors 50/50 nights, but that’s volunteer.

In fairness, both of them had a significant amount of savings before coming to Canada and her parents are, to put it mildly, not hurting for money.

Maybe they leverage that, but I don’t think so as they live pretty conservatively for the most part.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just to add, I live in the York Region, which isn’t cheap. I don’t make a whole lot but we do ok. I don’t drive a fancy car, don’t live in a big house but I don’t drink, go clubbing or wear designer clothes, nor do I have a LA Fitness membership like everyone else in my neighborhood seem to have.

Really, it depends on your lifestyle and what you want. $65k I don’t think goes far in Montreal either if you do a lot of extracurricular and extravagant spending.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017

Leaving commissions out of the equation, and assuming you're single and willing to live in 1BR apt, 65-75k is doable and you can even have savings if you don't live extravagantly. But its not easy. I would say a base of $80-90k gives you some breathing room.

Reactions: dinodebino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just to add, I live in the York Region, which isn’t cheap. I don’t make a whole lot but we do ok. I don’t drive a fancy car, don’t live in a big house but I don’t drink, go clubbing or wear designer clothes, nor do I have a LA Fitness membership like everyone else in my neighborhood seem to have.

Really, it depends on your lifestyle and what you want. $65k I don’t think goes far in Montreal either if you do a lot of extracurricular and extravagant spending.
Just trying to do some math..
2k for rent
800 on car (pmts, insurance, gas)
400 food
500 cc debt
500 fees (internet..phone..electricity..etc)
1000 random leisure expenses

I guess 75k as a base salary would be okay, and I can hit my bonuses off targets.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just trying to do some math..
2k for rent
800 on car (pmts, insurance, gas)
400 food
500 cc debt
500 fees (internet..phone..electricity..etc)
1000 random leisure expenses

I guess 75k as a base salary would be okay, and I can hit my bonuses off targets.

Yeah, 100% doable. Over time, as your savings and investments accrue, you’ll be fine. First few years may be a little tough, not going to lie, but this is normal until you settle in, develop a routine and understand your actual income and expenses.

Depending on your field of work, you may also have a lot more opportunities long term and since you’re already here, job changes are easier. Also, I’m only assuming here, but if you have no personal attachments, well, if it doesn’t work out, you can always go home.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Oh, you’ll be perfectly fine with 65-75k + commissions. Even downtown.

Exactly this. You will be fine. I would say 60 would be the threshold.

I'll elaborate a touch. Under 60 and you'll be needing roommates or a partner who chips in.

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
As others have said, ~65 is fine for a single person living a decent life.

If you want to really live it up (nice car & every media subscription & best mobile plan etc...) and have a lot of expendable cash and take trips obviously 70+ would be better and almost a necessity.

Welcome, enjoy, don't let it eat you alive.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Car insurance is way more expensive here (ontario generally) as is rent. Food at grocery stores is surprisingly less expensive. Public transit is the same price.

However the Condo market has taken a beating lately so you may be able to get a good deal.

Biggest difference are the opportunities. You'll get many more in Toronto than you ever would in Montreal.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I think $65K-$75K would not leave much if any room for vacations, savings, big ticket purchases, etc. in the GTA. You'd be living paycheque to paycheque. If you're used to doing that, maybe it would be ok.

The flip side to the question is how much can you ask for, and that depends very much on the role, your work experience and education, your current salary, and the company.

One thing I would recommend is not to take a lower base salary from a startup just because they are giving stock options, unless you are very very confident that the startup will be successful. Most stock options end up being worthless.

One final point is that you can calculate your after tax pay nearly to the penny using the CRA payroll deductions online calculator. You can compare Ontario and Quebec using this tool: Payroll Deductions Online Calculator - Canada.ca

Good luck.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You also have to consider the difficulty of ever owning property if you’re in Toronto. Montréal is expensive too, but at least it’s realistic. Remember also that rent control is strong in Quebec, Ontario less so.

I think it’ll be tight with that salary. Depends how much you make with commission, but Toronto is no joke. I had a similar salary (no commission) in Ottawa and I was more than fine, but your rent will likely be 3x more than mine was ($2,400).

I don’t want to speak for you, but I know I would be real stressed if my leisure money was tied to commission.

Reactions: themilosh

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think $65K-$75K would not leave much if any room for vacations, savings, big ticket purchases, etc. in the GTA. You'd be living paycheque to paycheque. If you're used to doing that, maybe it would be ok.

The flip side to the question is how much can you ask for, and that depends very much on the role, your work experience and education, your current salary, and the company.

One thing I would recommend is not to take a lower base salary from a startup just because they are giving stock options, unless you are very very confident that the startup will be successful. Most stock options end up being worthless.

One final point is that you can calculate your after tax pay nearly to the penny using the CRA payroll deductions online calculator. You can compare Ontario and Quebec using this tool: Payroll Deductions Online Calculator - Canada.ca

Good luck.

One thing I'd consider though is this gets your foot in the door in Toronto. Obviously, paycheck to paycheck sucks and I personally wouldn't want to do that, but if you can absorb some short term pain, I think you'll be better off over the longer term, DEPENDING on the kind of work you do and what you're looking for. For example, I think if you're big business, finance guy, you are better off in Toronto than say Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad