Question about teams possibly over the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

I've read that New Jersey's current payroll is about $44 million, $5 mil over the cap. They're probably going to make some trades to get the money down, but what would happen if October 5th came and they couldn't get under the $39 million? Would their players become FAs, would they be forced to forfeit games? What would happen in that rare situation?

hockeydadx2*

Since nobody has actually read the damned CBA, any answer is just speculation and hearsay.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
acr said:
I've read that New Jersey's current payroll is about $44 million, $5 mil over the cap. They're probably going to make some trades to get the money down, but what would happen if October 5th came and they couldn't get under the $39 million? Would their players become FAs, would they be forced to forfeit games? What would happen in that rare situation?
As I understand it, no team can be over the cap. This is a hard cap situation now, no soft cap with luxury tax for the teams that go over. If a team is over the cap, they would not be allowed to ice a team, thus forfeiting games, which won't happen. Lou Lamoriello is too smart to let that happen, he will no doubt have to make moves prior to October 1st, which is when all teams have to be below the cap number by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad