Question about Post Game Pressers

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Because Madison Square Garden Co./Dolan doesn't give a **** about reporters, and would prefer if they stayed miles away.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's a real bummer. I can usually tell what the question is by the response from the players/AV/others, but it's ridiculous that they don't just have a single mic to capture reporter's questions for their official vids.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
only the coach gives a presser, the locker room interviews usually has the reporter moving the mic back & forth between them and the player so you do hear both sides.

But yeah just write a letter to MSG network with your comment and if they get enough they'll add microphones in the room

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
The presser is in a room with cameras and one mic--the one on the podium. AV has no trouble hearing us, and we are only about 10 feet from him. Some of the questioners do not speak very loud and, if I am on the other side of center, it is hard to hear. But mostly it is okay.

The main purpose of the presser is for the press to get their quotes. We ask the questions so we can do that. No one is going to stand at a microphone or pass one around so that it can be broadcast. Just not going to happen.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The presser is in a room with cameras and one mic--the one on the podium. AV has no trouble hearing us, and we are only about 10 feet from him. Some of the questioners do not speak very loud and, if I am on the other side of center, it is hard to hear. But mostly it is okay.

The main purpose of the presser is for the press to get their quotes.
We ask the questions so we can do that. No one is going to stand at a microphone or pass one around so that it can be broadcast. Just not going to happen.

You don't need to line up at a microphone to ask your questions. A simple cardiod or shotgun mic put up high in the back corner, or even right in front of the podium out of view of the recording camera, pointed at the media would be enough. Heck, even an area mic or y-pair would be fine. With enough gain on the pre-amp, it will pick up everyone in the crowd asking questions.

It's really not difficult to do. If they're running a mic to the podium, they can very likely run a second (or even third) mic to a portable 4-channel mixer and capture that feed as well.

It's not difficult to do and very practical. I've been doing it on a daily basis at my job for years, so I would know.

Other teams make it happen. Rangers can too. It's not difficult. No excuses.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

The main purpose of the presser is for the press to get their quotes. We ask the questions so we can do that. No one is going to stand at a microphone or pass one around so that it can be broadcast. Just not going to happen.

I understand that... but many times the question is inaudible (on the video) and the coach answers with pronouns instead of names.

Contrast that with the Islanders videos: http://www.msgnetworks.com/videos/capuano-some-guys-have-to-play-better/

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You don't need to line up at a microphone to ask your questions. A simple cardiod or shotgun mic put up high in the back corner, or even right in front of the podium out of view of the recording camera, pointed at the media would be enough. Heck, even an area mic or y-pair would be fine. With enough gain on the pre-amp, it will pick up everyone in the crowd asking questions.

It's really not difficult to do. If they're running a mic to the podium, they can very likely run a second (or even third) mic to a portable 4-channel mixer and capture that feed as well.

It's not difficult to do and very practical. I've been doing it on a daily basis at my job for years, so I would know.

Other teams make it happen. Rangers can too. It's not difficult. No excuses.

While this is close to being true, you would still need a mixer in the room (multiple shotguns may get it done depending on the size of the room, just not located behind them) but a parabolic mic requires the equipment and someone to aim it, a tech to set it up etc.

All of that costs money. Now, being that the same room is used it could be permanently wired and micd but again ur talking about money and someone to run it and mix it downstream of the control room or prod truck.

Historically the "press" was print media and no one cared to hear the questions. That has obviously changed over the past 30 years but a lot of sports TV still hasn't adapted either due to money or due to laziness or the perception that the answers and athletes are really all that matters.

In the sport I cover the print media often don't want to use a mic (we have multiple hand helds passed around or two main "question" stations they can ask from) because they feel their questions illicit answers that they themselves have earned (sort of intellectual property). That perception is becoming more rare... but still exists.

Simple answer: It can be done.

Is it worth it? Nowadays I would say yes.

Why hasn't it been done? Money. But eventually it'll be standard.

Hope this helped the OP

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This subject has ALWAYS been a sore spot for me. Yes, I can figure out MOST questions, but sometimes when a specific player is referenced, AV (or anyone else on podium, for that matter) doesn't use that players name (more often than not) and sometimes leaves you (me)guessing. Would most definitely want to KNOW FOR SURE, exactly whom AV is talking about.........this has been unacceptable for years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad