Question about McLean and the Blue Jackets...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I remember skimming over a list that Doug McLean had submitted as guys that the Jackets have targeted with their #6 pick. From what I remember it had all the top-ranked guys besides EJ and J. Staal.

For anyone who knows more about this -did he put it this way because he simply isn't interested in Staal if he is there at 6 --or because, like EJ, he is simply assuming that Staal is going to be gone by the time their pick comes up?

Any insight would be appreicated. I am seeing alot of mocks w Staal at 5 (or even 7) so it would be interesting if a GM knows something that would make him just assume that Staal is not even a possibility.

AgentNaslund*

well at one time he did say he will take Mueller over Kessel. I have a feeling Staal will drop to around 7 or 8. Hes not as good as people say he is. Infact, with the New NHL, Brassard might go ahead of Staal.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
As a Bruins fan I am hoping for Mueller (assuming the other 4 go in order) but have a feeling Staal will be there at 5 and they will take him.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Colt.45Orr said:
I remember skimming over a list that Doug McLean had submitted as guys that the Jackets have targeted with their #6 pick. From what I remember it had all the top-ranked guys besides EJ and J. Staal.

For anyone who knows more about this -did he put it this way because he simply isn't interested in Staal if he is there at 6 --or because, like EJ, he is simply assuming that Staal is going to be gone by the time their pick comes up?

Any insight would be appreicated. I am seeing alot of mocks w Staal at 5 (or even 7) so it would be interesting if a GM knows something that would make him just assume that Staal is not even a possibility.
I have some insight on this. The answer is he does not see them having any hope at all of Staal being available at #6. Doug and the Bluejackets love Staal and I believe he's #2 on their list. I think Dougie and Jimmy see picks 4-7 as a bit of a coin toss. I'm sure they have their preferences but they see alot of qualities in all those picks.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Agree PEI fan:

Just my two cents to add but I agree totally with you.. Dougie didn't include EJ or Staal for the simple reason they won't be there... He would take either one without pause, they just won't fall that far. Think he might sport some wood over Toews as well should he fall to #6. Quite sure Dean Blais would be happy

Brassard might also work.. but I believe they like Backstrom more than they let on..
I have heard scouts say he is one of two most ready to play.

Last edited:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Blew Smoke said:
Just my two cents to add but I agree totally with you.. Dougie didn't include EJ or Staal for the simple reason they won't be there... He would take either one without pause, they just won't fall that far. Think he might sport some wood over Toews as well should he fall to #6. Quite sure Dean Blais would be happy

Brassard might also work.. but I believe they like Backstrom more than they let on..
I have heard scouts say he is one of two most ready to play.
Actually they are on the record now as saying they are very impressed with Backstrom. I think you're referring to a quote a few months ago saying he wasn't in the mix for them in the 5/6/7 range.Either that was a misquote or just Dougie trying to divert attention and hoping to steal the guy. :D Noooo, Dougie wouldn't do that. :sarcasm:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
AgentNaslund said:
well at one time he did say he will take Mueller over Kessel. I have a feeling Staal will drop to around 7 or 8. Hes not as good as people say he is. Infact, with the New NHL, Brassard might go ahead of Staal.
Unless NHL scouts and GM's are shovelling a pile of bull Staal is not dropping that low.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
From everything I've read on Mueller shows that he's solid defensively, for his age, and a burgeoning offensive threat, the knock, his skating, is very underrated. Mueller's size is good too.Nash's skating was very underrated too, just like Mueller's... I'm just about ready to order my Mueller Jersey, because it sure seems that He'll be the newest jacket first rounder, and that would be A OK with me.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
contingent_23 said:
From everything I've read on Mueller shows that he's solid defensively, for his age, and a burgeoning offensive threat, the knock, his skating, is very underrated. Mueller's size is good too.Nash's skating was very underrated too, just like Mueller's... I'm just about ready to order my Mueller Jersey, because it sure seems that He'll be the newest jacket first rounder, and that would be A OK with me.
I think the way the Jacket's see it is they'll have a choice between Brassard and Mueller and I might tend to think they would lean towards Mueller but Brassard cannot be underestimated. I haven't seen Mueller skate so I don't know about that but Brassard is a very good skater.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
pei fan said:
I think the way the Jacket's see it is they'll have a choice between Brassard and Mueller and I might tend to think they would lean towards Mueller but Brassard cannot be underestimated. I haven't seen Mueller skate so I don't know about that but Brassard is a very good skater.
to me, the thing is, we have brassard type guys already. we could really use a mueller type. IMO. not to mention i think he is better

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:

Doug did not announce his list, he told a listener that we will most likely get either Kessel, Mueller, Brassard, or Backstrom. He did not specify what order. He did not include Toews, EJ, and Staal, but presumably they will all be gone

On one hand if we get one of the Kessel, Mueller, Brassard, or Backstrom, we can say that they were the top one on our list.

On the other hand if we get Toews, EJ, or Staal we can say that we never imagined that they would be availible for us.

The Good 'ol draft spin.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Pick BPA, picking for position is Pejorative Slured. Of course, can't have any thread on any board about the CBJ without the two Preds MODS mucking it up.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Oz said:
Pick BPA, picking for position is Pejorative Slured. Of course, can't have any thread on any board about the CBJ without the two Preds MODS mucking it up.

i can't have an opinion? i'd just think there has to be a point in which you take a smid or a meszaros over a picard. "BPA" might be a factor at first overall or 20th overall...but if you're going to get a great player, no matter what, picking for position in the first ten picks is a pretty safe way to go. there might be a slight talent dropoff, but if it means that you never have to call up andy delmore, there's a payoff. I would wager that with a better defense, the Jackets would be at least a fringe playoff team by now, if not actually in. But no, look at the stable...there's nothing impressive even waiting in the fold.

I know it's hard to believe, but this has nothing to do with me being a Preds fan or this being about the Jackets(who I don't even really MIND, outside of our playful board rivalry,) but as a quasi-knowledgeable hockey fan, I can't understand the drafting strategy, and I personally think GMDM is quietly sliding into the realm of the worst GMs in hockey, when you look at the big picture. Some Jackets fans agree with that sentiment, some don't. I'd just like to see something better for you guys, and drafting these forwards over and over won't do it.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Come now..

nomorekids said:
I'd just like to see something better for you guys, and drafting these forwards over and over won't do it.

who the bugger do ya think your fooling with there Pred Mod.. we aren't your cousin, or your sister, you dueling banjo player... :yo: :yo:

Dougie Dougie please take Ty Wishart.. Preds fans all want us to have a better defense.. they feel sorry for us...

shelley1142

Fire Howson!
Mar 18, 2006
Sarasota, Fl
nomorekids said:
i can't have an opinion? i'd just think there has to be a point in which you take a smid or a meszaros over a picard. "BPA" might be a factor at first overall or 20th overall...but if you're going to get a great player, no matter what, picking for position in the first ten picks is a pretty safe way to go. there might be a slight talent dropoff, but if it means that you never have to call up andy delmore, there's a payoff. I would wager that with a better defense, the Jackets would be at least a fringe playoff team by now, if not actually in. But no, look at the stable...there's nothing impressive even waiting in the fold.

I know it's hard to believe, but this has nothing to do with me being a Preds fan or this being about the Jackets(who I don't even really MIND, outside of our playful board rivalry,) but as a quasi-knowledgeable hockey fan, I can't understand the drafting strategy, and I personally think GMDM is quietly sliding into the realm of the worst GMs in hockey, when you look at the big picture. Some Jackets fans agree with that sentiment, some don't. I'd just like to see something better for you guys, and drafting these forwards over and over won't do it.

Ok first of all our, contrary to popular belief, our D isn't half bad. If they keep improving then they could turn out to be extremely good. Second, we have alot of really good young prospects that are pretty much a secret to the rest of the NHL. Hush don't tell anyone :speechles Third, GMDM is no where near the one of the worst GM's. This guy was able to get Brule, the best player after Crosby in his draft, when 4 other Gm's passed him over. He also drafted Nash and Zherdev, two of the best young players and Fritsche along with alot of other players we have high hopes for.

There are alot of people who think GMDM is awful, heck alot of CBJ fans do, but that's what people think when your team isn't doing so hott. Gotta blame somebody right? These forwards that we draft "over and over again" are the future of our hockey club. I for one feel alot better having forwards, that know one end of the ice from the other, in reserve for a rainy day.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I don't see what the big deal is... good forwards can always be traded for good Dmen and vice-versa. I love how Columbus has been drafting in the first round personally.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
shelley1142 said:
Ok first of all our, contrary to popular belief, our D isn't half bad. If they keep improving then they could turn out to be extremely good. Second, we have alot of really good young prospects that are pretty much a secret to the rest of the NHL. Hush don't tell anyone :speechles Third, GMDM is no where near the one of the worst GM's. This guy was able to get Brule, the best player after Crosby in his draft, when 4 other Gm's passed him over. He also drafted Nash and Zherdev, two of the best young players and Fritsche along with alot of other players we have high hopes for.

There are alot of people who think GMDM is awful, heck alot of CBJ fans do, but that's what people think when your team isn't doing so hott. Gotta blame somebody right? These forwards that we draft "over and over again" are the future of our hockey club. I for one feel alot better having forwards, that know one end of the ice from the other, in reserve for a rainy day.

Come on, man...picking Brule...or Nash\Zherdev for that matter is a no-brainer combined with a little bit of good luck. GMs don't make their money in the first round...especially when you're picking gimme-picks in the top ten. I look more toward signing guys like Todd Marchant, Scott Lachance, giving fair amounts of money to Andrew Cassels and Luke Richardson...as my criteria for calling GMDM a shaky GM. Does that say he's been all bad? No, not at all...but has he been "good" by any stretch? I can't say that he has.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This draft is shaping up for the Jackets like so many other drafts have for them in that they're going to be picking in a range that is too low to get the prime dman and too high to grab a guy from the next tier. I don't think you can blame MacLean too much for that. Again, best player available.

Smid or Mezaros over Picard? Maybe. That is a fair point. But that is just one draft out of six where I think there is debate over the pick.
And that is a year where I think MacLean gladly would've taken Cam Barker if they were high enough. Also, MacLean admited Thelen was the other guy the thought about with the 8th pick.

Maybe the 01 draft as well - Leclaire vs. Hamhuis - but you can't fault a team that needs everything for trying to pick up a goalie of the future.

As for the other drafts - again, too low to pick guys like Jack Johnson (05) or Erik Johnson (06) or too high for guys like Suter, Coburn or Phaneuf (03) or J-Bo and Pitkanen (O2). It is more circumstance than a willful disregard for their defense.

Also, they did pick up Wharton, McQuaid and Russell in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the last two drafts. It isn't like they don't know they need some defense.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
no kidding. yea, this draft has ONE, thats right ONE dman that should be talked about anywhere high. he will be long gone when the jackets pick. if you take a dman at 6, you are an idiot and you idiots can start calling gmdm an idiot

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
RDriesen16 said:
no kidding. yea, this draft has ONE, thats right ONE dman that should be talked about anywhere high. he will be long gone when the jackets pick. if you take a dman at 6, you are an idiot and you idiots can start calling gmdm an idiot

Then maybe you think about dropping down a few spots, picking up an extra second rounder or even a decent defensive prospect in the process?

I feel like the Jackets would be well-served to take one draft and go balls-out in drafting d-men. Some of them have to pan out. Nashville was in a similar position at one point...and then went nuts drafting Suter, Klein, Weber, Stehlik...all in one draft...and now those first three are all NHL-ready or close. You guys have an admirable core of forwards, but that alone doesn't make a team. It'd just be nice to see some effort put into picking some of those types of guys.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
nomorekids said:
Then maybe you think about dropping down a few spots, picking up an extra second rounder or even a decent defensive prospect in the process?

I feel like the Jackets would be well-served to take one draft and go balls-out in drafting d-men. Some of them have to pan out. Nashville was in a similar position at one point...and then went nuts drafting Suter, Klein, Weber, Stehlik...all in one draft...and now those first three are all NHL-ready or close. You guys have an admirable core of forwards, but that alone doesn't make a team. It'd just be nice to see some effort put into picking some of those types of guys.

I'm not opposed to trading down, but it depends on the cost. Funny enough, but looking at this draft, if the experts are to be believed, I'm not convinced the CBJ still wouldn't be best served by picking a forward in the first round, if they moved down five to 10 picks or so. The d-crop just seems less-than-stellar.
The bait to do the trade almost would have to be a young d-man.

While Columbus does not have the impressive young d-corps of Nashville, I think you're selling them somewhat short. Klesla, Johnson and Hainsey (not a CBJ pick, but a young, recent 1st rounder) all are acquiting themselves well at the NHL level, with Tolefson close-to-ready in the minors and Wharton, McQuaid, Hendrix and Russell all doing well in junior, with a couple of them ready to make pro debuts next year. It wouldn't shock me to see the 2nd and 3rd rounders this year used again on more defensive prospects.
It isn't nearly as baren as you think -- just because they've only taken one d-man in the first round.

I still think that in the first round, you draft the best guy on your board, regardless of position. If there is a tie, then maybe you look to postion needs, but if you like a forward more than a d-man, I have no problem taking the forward. Most of these guys, regardless of position, are a crap-shoot anyway.

Matt Foley*

I was fortunate a few years back to have a conversation with Don Boyd, the CBJ Director of Player Personnel, and I asked him about the philosophies of drafting for need vs. drafting the best available player. He said the team's philosophy was to always select the best available player when it's their turn to pick, regardless of position. Paraphrasing a quote of his, he said, "Drafting is all about collecting assets; if the team is strong in one position category and weak in another, we would trade an asset from the stronger category for one that will help strengthen the weaker category".

The Jackets do have decent organizational depth along the blueline in Aaron Johnson, Adam McQuaid, Kris Russell, OK Tollefsen, Kyle Wharton and Marc Methot, among others. Who's to say that none of these players (or even someone else?) will rise up and become a top NHL defender? Is it a rule that all top-2 NHL defenseman must be drafted in the first round? Maybe in HFBoardsWorld, but not in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad