Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I wanted to know if there are any Canadians playing NCAA division 1 hockey that should have merited an invite to the Canadian camp besides Tambellini. No Brady Murray jokes please. :p

Wes O'Neill from the University of Notre Dame.He was born in Essex,Ontario_O'Neill is a freshman at Notre Dame.He is expected to be a first round pick in 2004.Big,strong defenseman(6-4 207).O'Neill has played for Canada in other tournaments

http://und.ocsn.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/oneill_wes00.html

Rabid Ranger said:
I wanted to know if there are any Canadians playing NCAA division 1 hockey that should have merited an invite to the Canadian camp besides Tambellini. No Brady Murray jokes please. :p

Just by looking through the statistics of the NCAA drafted or NCAA bound forwards, the only ones near a point a game in terms of numbers are Byron Bitz (4th round) at Cornell with 9 points in 11 games and Andrew Joudrey (8th round) at Wisconsin with 13 points in 18 games. So it doesn't look like there's anybody significant.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Doomsday Device said:
Just by looking through the statistics of the NCAA drafted or NCAA bound forwards, the only ones near a point a game in terms of numbers are Byron Bitz (4th round) at Cornell with 9 points in 11 games and Andrew Joudrey (8th round) at Wisconsin with 13 points in 18 games. So it doesn't look like there's anybody significant.

Thanks for the information. I find it interesting that there really aren't that many Canadians playing college hockey that would be considered for the WJC's, but the number of Americans that are playing in the CHL is rising, and more Americans that go that route are being considered for the U.S. team.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Thanks for the information. I find it interesting that there really aren't that many Canadians playing college hockey that would be considered for the WJC's, but the number of Americans that are playing in the CHL is rising, and more Americans that go that route are being considered for the U.S. team.

Good point... My answer to the question would be that Canadian players coming to the NCAA are usually a bit older than American ones. I don't have any proof at all, but my hunch would be that the average Canadian born freshman is probably about a year older than the US born one, I'd be interested to actually see statistics on this....but the bottom line is, most blue chip canadian prospects are going to be playing in the CHL. The NCAA gets the late bloomers for the most part. A lot of Canadian players come in to the league at 19 or 20 years old, some too old for the WJC from the start. As for US players going to the CHL they do so at a young age (16), which allows them to be compared against the same pool of players that will feed team Canada, so the US can better predict how they will fare at that level of competition. At that time, the Canadian born NCAA player is playing in the BCHL, USHL or other Canadian junior A league team, and is a little bit behind the developmental ball. Their 4 years in college will allow them to develop as well as any other NCAA player, but at "WJC age" I would think they are a little bit behind other canadians that have been playing CHL for 2,3 or 4 years.

Canadien16

Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:

Doomsday Device, how come you only considered the 1984 birth year players and not the 1985's? Have a look at collegehockeystats.com and under points per game for rookies i'm sure some of those kids are Canadian.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad