Question about 1985 Series

chooch*

Well choocher, if we are going to put asterisks next to Stanley Cup wins, I think we should start with the Canadiens wins prior to 1969. They were allowed to scoop all players produced in the province of Quebec so, American teams and the Leafs had no shot at getting them. The Habs build their teams on unfair trade practices.

When you look back at the Oilers cup wins, it was not the peewee tournament that you describe.

In 83-84, the average team the Oilers faced in the playoffs, prior to the finals, had 81 points during the regular season. Their finals opponents, the Islanders, faced an average opponent of 89.67.

In 84-85 the Oilers faced an average opponent of 87 points, the Flyers faced an average opponent of 79.67.

In 86-87, the Oilers faced 78.67 and the Flyers faced 83.33.

In 87-88 the Oilers faced 91.67 and the Bruins faced 90.

In 89-90 the Oilers were up against 82.67 and the Bruins were up against 85.33.

Looking at these numbers, twice in five cup runs, the Oilers faced BETTER competition than did their Wales conference rivals - including 84-85 where the Oilers faced SIGNIFICANTLY better opponents in the Kings (82 points), the Jets (96 points) and the Blackhawks (83 points). The Flyers faced the Rangers (62 points), the Islanders (86) and Quebec (91).

So, your argument is false, chooch. Try again next time and bring some real evidence to your arguments.

And remember, the Oilers were just that good.

Points have nothing to do with how good a team is relatively speaking...in fact I'd venture to say that in any given year none of the teams in the West aside from Edmonton or Calgary would have made the playoffs playing in the East. Thats how much of a joke it was - see how the Fleyers got banged up making it to the Finals in 85 and 87, starting goalie - out, leading scorer - out, #2 Defenceman - out etc etc.

I could go on... like in 84 how the Oilers were rested by an extra 9 days and the Islanders were exhausted. Did that matter?? Potvin played all the games but I was watching as Gainey stuck it to his knee in the Semis and Potvin left the game. He wasnt the same that playoffs.

Ever wonder how Dr Charlie Huddy skated rings around Ray Bourque in the 88 Finals? Guess not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad