GDT: Quarterfinal • Feb. 19 • Finland vs. Russia • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenson2*

a5f17c155525d6e0470042d3a93054c7a97b3f45e04668e15740a4417f79e6e6.jpg

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
while I agree the refs missed a couple calls including what would have gave Russia a 5 on 3... Finland has been the far better team

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Officiating is fine. The difference is goaltending and the slow Russian defense.

Has to be frustrating to watch as a Russian fan. We've been there many, many times so I know how it feels to be outplaying the opposition and not be able to score.

nwaZ*

Ovechkin and Malkin should have their own lines. Ovi just kills everything with his tunnel-vision.

SingaporeRanger

Dec 16, 2010
Singapore
Our forwards are struggling but unlike the Russians our defense is top notch

Bingo, this is the big difference.
Russia's D is playing poorly and they don't have a Lundqvist or Price in the net so they get punished. Even a guy like Ovechkin that doesn't like to come back home is probably feeling the uncertainty.
Canada's O is more impotent than I expected, seem to mirror Sweden's since you see Doughty and Karlsson stepping up for needed offence in the respective teams.

Right now though, Russia is playing with five individuals on the ice, no chemistry in the lines at all, could be the pressure of being down two at home, but it seems to have been Russias doom, they have talented individuals but lack cohesion.

nahcmo

Mar 2, 2011
It feels like just yesterday when I was watching Rask play in the World Juniors. Time sure flies. He's been great this game.

Roland of Gilead

The Gunslinger
May 18, 2007
Dark Tower
That russian domination at the end of the period began when finnish team had same players on the ice over 2 minutes. That was the point when finnish coach should took timeout.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Finland is the better team so far, there is no question about that. They clearly deserve the victory based on the first 40 minutes.

AHB*

People crying about the reffing. Haha, ok.

What are they crying about? That one high stick call? I wasn't in the other GDT.

For what it's worth, I thought that was a fair non-call. The high stick looked to have been brought on by the Russian player during his penalty. Could be wrong though, need to see a replay.

Outside of that, it's been rather OK.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No,

and no.

Russia isn't playing a team game whatsoever, and it's killing them. Far too little movement on that last pp. They just don't seem to care about playing as a group

I was talking about the reffing alone. The weaknesses are obvious. Today the D is what it was supposed to be, not the best out there. All else is psychological stuff. But it's hard to play whren you see the other team is allowed every kind of garbage.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Even non-Russian poster agree that the refs are fixing this.

Refs are unfair in every game. If you can't win despite that you shouldn't win in general. The part of the game that told me it's ogre so far is when the Russian offensive machine powerhouse couldn't score on 5 Finns who have been on the ice for 2 minutes straight and weren't even skating towards the Russians and were inching their way towards the bench. I was sure the Finnish coach's folly would result in Russia scoring. Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia