GDT: Quarterfinal • Feb. 19 • Canada vs. Latvia • Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
So you don't think Canada dominated?

That question is irrelevant. Awards, medals, and Stanley Cups are not given out to teams that dominate, they are given out to teams that score more goals than their opponents. If you have 60 shots and can only score 2, what does that say about your awe-inducing, mandate of heaven, supreme developmental Canadian system of Hockey? You can't get more than 2 goals past the Latvian goaltender! Even worse, you try crying about the fact teams are using a different strategy than you are and playing a more defensive game. If Hockey is your game, shouldn't you know that if a team is trapping the neutral zone that you should dump the puck in , play physical, and play below the goal line?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Wish everyone would dial it back

- Canada is still an incredibly tough team for anyone to beat
- Latvia could have won this game, no question. Despite the one-way play, Canada could still be said to have escaped with the win.
- Latvia played their hearts out. It's amusing to me how fans complain about some of these teams playing a trapping style. Poor powerhouses, the little guys won't let you blow them out :shakehead

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Was so ****ing nervous in the third

Last edited by a moderator:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Canada played as the should have played. Gudlevskis had his stellar moment today. Latvia offensively didn't do that good, which allowed ridiculous 55 SOG against us. Otherwise it should have been 40 vs 30 SOG or something. We were fairly lucky today. CAN outperfomed team Latvia in every aspect. There have been many lesser teams previously in world champs showing the same kind of game against CAN, so no big deal.

Cheers. Much respect.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
When the goalie lets in a soft goal it makes the players more tentative and less confident. That's basic psychology.

I didn't see a soft goal I saw a defensive breakdown that led to a breakway, where the forward made a good move.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
So you don't think Canada dominated?

Yes when you get almost 60 shots on net in a 60 min game you are dominate. The goaltender was the only difference. If Canada plays the same against the US is will be a good game, they do not have to change anything, except remove Crosby's buddy and put Duchene in.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That question is irrelevant. Awards, medals, and Stanley Cups are not given out to teams that dominate, they are given out to teams that score more goals than their opponents. If you have 60 shots and can only score 2, what does that speak to your awe-inducing, mandate of heaven, supreme developmental Canadian system of Hockey? You can't get more than 2 goals past the Latvian goaltender! Even worse, you try crying about the fact teams are using a different strategy than you are and playing a more defensive game. If Hockey is your game, shouldn't you know that if a team is trapping the neutral zone that you should dump the puck in , play physical, and play below the goal line?

Did you watch the game? The whole thing was played in Latvia's zone. Canada has given up 3 goals in the tournament, defense wins championships.

nwaZ*

We cheer for the same ****ing team, stop fighting about stupid and petty things.

The wrong goalie could be the deciding factor against the US. Price hasn't shown that he should be nr 1.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't care if Canada is only beating Norway, Latvia etc by tight scores.

They're controlling the puck for like 90% of the game and playing sublime defense.

They can beat anybody playing that game, with a score of 2-1 or 1-0.

Flawed logic, they've been playing weak teams, they're obviously not going to control the play "90%" of the time against a team like Sweden or the US. Controlling the game for 55mins and scoring only 2 goals? I'd like to see how they respond when they have significantly less control against stronger opponents.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That question is irrelevant. Awards, medals, and Stanley Cups are not given out to teams that dominate, they are given out to teams that score more goals than their opponents. If you have 60 shots and can only score 2, what does that speak to your awe-inducing, mandate of heaven, supreme developmental Canadian system of Hockey? You can't get more than 2 goals past the Latvian goaltender! Even worse, you try crying about the fact teams are using a different strategy than you are and playing a more defensive game. If Hockey is your game, shouldn't you know that if a team is trapping the neutral zone that you should dump the puck in , play physical, and play below the goal line?

And Canada did just that, they scored more than their opponent and they will look to do that The rest of the tournament. Just because they scored two goals on 60 shots today doesn't mean they won't score four on 30 shots Friday.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

It's odd to me. I choose to root for Canada because these tournies are more fun when you have a dog in the fight. But lets face reality, these players aren't playing for any of us, they're playing to win because they are hyper competitive freaks that want to win. What any of us say or do has nothing to do with anything, we're just spectators. Nothing more.

It's the same thing as being proud of a movie character for shooting that other movie character.

That being said, I would have been thrilled to see Latvia win, it would have been the biggest upset since Belarus beating Sweden, maybe even bigger.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
@ Robin Hood (I can't quote you because the forum is messed up right now and for some reason won't let me quote that post): Tell me how I'm wrong then.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Price has had a better season than Luongo, team Canada decided a long time ago he was the better bet. He can't be judged until he faces an actual workload against the Americans. Tough for any goalie to face 15 shots and go LONG stretches with no action.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
dude, they played against a team who put 5 guys in the neutral zone. i don't care who you are, it's gonna take time to penetrate and wear them down.

beyond the neutral zone, in the Dzone they literally collapsed 5 strong in front of their goalie - when they weren't watching the points on their PK's. they played with 6 goalies in the D zone

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Yes when you get almost 60 shots on net in a 60 min game you are dominate. The goaltender was the only difference. If Canada plays the same against the US is will be a good game, they do not have to change anything, except remove Crosby's buddy and put Duchene in.

ding ding ding ding... We have a winner... **** KUNITZ!!!

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
I'm far away from a Canuck fan but Louongo should most definitely start over Price. Just sayin'.

You've been writing Luongo wrong since the start of Part 1. And you've repeated his name about 10 times. I really dunno how you can find so much stuffs to talk about a guy that's on the bench.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
They had what, 60 shots? Penetrating through them wasn't a problem, the problem was finishing and Canada is not showing any inkling on doing so.

This is something that should be noted. It's happened in almost every Canada game so far. Blaming hot goalies isn't gonna explain it. I wouldn't be surprised to see them completely turn it around against us, but the bottom line right now is that they're very poor at converting as a team, especially outside of Doughty/Weber. They're not getting as good of chances as they could be if they were playing a bit smarter, though there still getting a lot of them.

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
That sure must have been a butt clentcher for Canadian viewers. It was much more fun to watch as a neutral fan.

Somebody buy that Latvian goalie an expensive bottle of scotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad