GDT: Qualifying Offers, Buyout Window, & July 1st Free Agency Discussion Thread

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
All qualifying offers have to be in by 5 p.m Friday, June 30th. Any RFA who doesn't get a qualifying offer becomes a UFA on July 1st

Players that needs Q.O.s:

Denis Gurianov (probably not)
Alex Newhook
Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Jesse Ylonen
Lucas Condotta
Mitchell Stephens
Joel Teasdale
Nicolas Beaudin

The buyout window closes at 5 p.m. Friday, June 30th too. Last day to buyout Mike Hoffman.

I expect Montreal to do nothing for free agency on July 1st. It's a terrible year for UFAs, and the team's roster is too big as it is. I expect signings for Laval and that's it.

Free Agency begins at Noon, July 1st. Happy Canada Day!

Screenshot_20230629_234602_Chrome.jpg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No, not at all. I wouldn't mind qualifying Stephens. He had a good 2nd half, and Laval isn't that strong down center. Wouldn't mind bringing Belzile back too.
Didn't Stephens go down in the post season? I do seem to remember it hurting us.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agree on Condotta. He should stay. Teasdale isn't getting a Q.O.

I'm 50/50 on Stephens and Beaudin.
Why not Teasdale?

Gurianov Out
NewHook Ofc with the price we paid
RHP 1 way deal
Ylonen im not sure , unless we unload some vets id say no
Condotta 2way
Last 3 out
Why would we keep Hoffman and Armia over Ylonen?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I hope to see some wheeling and dealing.

We are overloaded on D, overloaded on F, and have ample cap space.

I’ve argued elsewhere why using buyouts on Armia and Hoffman is an interesting and aggressive move to gain cap space and be able to sell it for a premium to hungry needy teams.

I strongly feel Hughes needs to be aggressive this summer because we cannot expect to tank again and they were too passive with last year’s tank regardless.

I’m not anti-HuGo whatsoever but in their third season they need to show something more. Floating through the summer will be discouraging esp since we don’t have a potential superstar prospect in our system.

Last edited:

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I hope to see some wheeling and dealing.

We are overloaded on D, overloaded on F, and have ample cap space.

I’ve argued elsewhere why using buyouts on Armia and Hoffman is an interesting and aggressive move to gain cap space and be able to sell it for a premium to hungry needy teams.

I strongly feel Hughes needs to be aggressive this summer because we cannot expect to tank again and they were too passive with last year’s tank regardless.

I’m not anti-HuGo whatsoever but in their third off-season they need to show something more. Floating through the summer will be discouraging esp since we don’t have a potential superstar prospect in our system.

We have too many forwards and too many defensemen, there will be movement at one point during the off-season.

The question is when. I don’t think they have to trade Dvorak but if they want to, it will be easier before July 1st, after that his 8 team ntc kicks in.

I don’t expect them to sign much other than some AHL veterans to help the kids. I do hope they bring someone on the NHL level with a different style of play to round up the line up but I won’t get my hopes up, we have too many players already.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
With Price on LTIR and Newhook at 2.5m we will have 7.5-8m free

We should rent it out but Big Brain HuGo might yell at the fans again for wanting something that seems like the obvious thing to do
Didn’t we do that last year with monahan?

Reactions: jrom

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yes for:

Alex Newhook
Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Jesse Ylonen
Lucas Condotta

I agree with all of them. I'll add Beaudin.

Stephens really turned it up at the end of the year and was a good reason why Laval ended up making the playoffs. So I would qualify him and hopefully he does the same thing except do it from the beginning.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Team is too stuffed with players right now, about the only moves I can see are a new contract for Monty and maybe flipping one or two of the problem children.

forward - 14
Locks
Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, dach, newhook, Anderson, Gallagher, monahan
In play
Hoffman, Armia, RHP, pezz, Evans, dvorak, pitlick

Defense- 9
Lock
Matheson, savard, Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron
In play
Edmunson, wideman, kovacevic

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad