World Cup: Qualifying for 2020?

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
I'm currently watching World Cup qualifying for soccer and it's good because teams aren't guaranteed spots in the final tournament. Add more international flavour to the calendar for the sport.

Should all countries have to qualify for World Cup of Hockey in 2020(except for host)?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
IIHF's World Championship is good enough as a proxy qualifying tournament for bigger tournaments.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Hockey is a bit different than soccer. I don't think the big 5 should have to qualify just because they're so far and away better than the rest that it would be silly for them to have to qualify.

The big 5 and Czech Republic will always automatically qualify but having two 8 team qualifying tournaments for the final 2 spots makes sense to me and would be really competitive for those teams

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hockey is a bit different than soccer. I don't think the big 5 should have to qualify just because they're so far and away better than the rest that it would be silly for them to have to qualify.

The big 5 and Czech Republic will always automatically qualify but having two 8 team qualifying tournaments for the final 2 spots makes sense to me and would be really competitive for those teams
That could work but have the Czech team play Slovakia first to see who gets the instant spot

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Hard to imagine the NHL paying for a qualification process so that Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia or Latvia can show up in 2020.

The NHL could easily take the top eight of the IIHF rankings, or the top eight according to the latest Olympics/WHC. That's what they used to do and is why West Germany placed Finland at the 1984 Canada Cup.

They simply didn't want to this time because they were determined to have their lame gimmicks.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
what I'm after is having McDavid playing with Crosby for 18 games over 3 years let's say.

Have way more international games to build interest, chemistry and get to see great players playing with each other EVERY year. Not every 4 years.

Make four groups of 5. Top 2 in each group and 4 best finishers. Home and Away.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
what I'm after is having McDavid playing with Crosby for 18 games over 3 years let's say.

Have way more international games to build interest, chemistry and get to see great players playing with each other EVERY year. Not every 4 years.

Make four groups of 5. Top 2 in each group and 4 best finishers. Home and Away.

I can't imagine NHLers, especially North American NHLers, agreeing to that. Think of all the refusals for the IIHF World Championships. This event would even further cut into their summers, since that is when it would have to take place.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I can't imagine NHLers, especially North American NHLers, agreeing to that. Think of all the refusals for the IIHF World Championships. This event would even further cut into their summers, since that is when it would have to take place.

Would have to change the league so the season was shorter to have more tournaments.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Would have to change the league so the season was shorter to have more tournaments.

Even then, the culture just isn't there for players to want to participate. Plus, given how easy it would be for top teams to qualify you still wouldn't see Crosby too often.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Even then, the culture just isn't there for players to want to participate. Plus, given how easy it would be for top teams to qualify you still wouldn't see Crosby too often.

Would have to make make participation mandatory or include it as part of their wages so they have to play the international games to get full salary if they aren't injured

I like it how it is tbh having 2 international tournaments on offset 4 year gaps and not change the nhl but if you wanted to do more tournaments I think that's the only way

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Would have to make make participation mandatory or include it as part of their wages so they have to play the international games to get full salary if they aren't injured

I like it how it is tbh having 2 international tournaments on offset 4 year gaps and not change the nhl but if you wanted to do more tournaments I think that's the only way

A significant international every 2 years is the way to go. A real qualification process for future World Cups combined with also competing in the Olympics is ideal. Basketball does it, no reason it can't happen for hockey.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
WCOH needs to be bigger to have a real World Cup feel.

16 teams.

Top 8 in rankings qualify

8 qualification spots.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I feel bad for Team Korea in 2018 when Team Canada beats the crap out of them 34-0

.lmao the sherwood park crusaders an AA team in my home town beat the Japanese national team like 20 ~ 0 ten years ago. Most of the time in international games the good teams tend to stop trying before they run up the score too much tho.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Analogy to World Cup isn't good, because soccer and hockey just aren't comparable in the amount and quality of teams. However, there still should be some kind of qualification for at least the two last spots. The big 6 could get their spot automatically or via IIHF ranking, doesn't really matter since the end result would be the same thing anyway.

Everyone? thinks those last teams should be Slovakia and Switzerland (and definitely would be better to have those than the current you know what teams), but I think it isn't as clear cut with some rising countries (e.g. Denmark), so qualification would be needed.

NHL cited lack of time to arrange a qualification tournament this time but that was nothing but an excuse to have those two joke(r) teams, since they could have used IIHF ranking or past Olympics/WC results to determine the 8 teams. Of course the issue with using IIHF ranking is that NHL likes to think IIHF doesn't exist.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
The NHL could easily take the top eight of the IIHF rankings, or the top eight according to the latest Olympics/WHC. That's what they used to do and is why West Germany placed Finland at the 1984 Canada Cup.
Really? In 2004 the 8 teams happened to be the same as the current IIHF top 8 back then, but I somehow I've always thought that was merely a coincidence. You know, Germany being a big market.

They simply didn't want to this time because they were determined to have their lame gimmicks.
I agree.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
.lmao the sherwood park crusaders an AA team in my home town beat the Japanese national team like 20 ~ 0 ten years ago. Most of the time in international games the good teams tend to stop trying before they run up the score too much tho.

I seriously doubt that. For as bad as Japan is, they're not losing to a bunch of kids from the AJHL.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
12 team tournament. Top 4 teams qualify automatically. 4 pools of 4 teams each, single game round robin, the winner of each pool qualifies. 2nd and 3rd seeds of each pool enter a Stage 2 which features 2 groups of 4 teams, single game round robin, top 2 teams in each group qualify.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Or the women's team.

May of been the junior team but it was definitely men. But it was around 15 or so years ago I don't think I could find it on the Internet. They have played canadas woman's national team as well I believe I don't think they did as well tho.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014

absolutely absurd fiction. Their goalie played in the NHL briefly, and if you watched the olympic qualifiers earlier this month you would see that teams with NHL players on them could not run up the score against them.

and the Koreans are better, they narrowly missed qualifying for the World Championship for 2017 and played Slovenia really tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad