QMJHL To ban fighting

horner

May 22, 2007
Pathetic. 10 fight rule should be the max limit just for junior levels. You need the practice if your going to play pro. Hockey is getting even more irrevelant with less fighting. I hope the q goes into more financial trouble. At the pros there shouldn't be any limit. They are adults and it's up to them.
The way pro hockey is going fighting will be banned as well .
They ate going to put the stars at risk of serious injury.

Junior hockey the same thing will happen to the star players . The refs don't catch everything.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Nothing wrong with heavy hits. As long as they are clean. Watched the Sens vs Toronto tonight and no fights but lots of stick work. To each their own IMO...
I think alot of people have a misconception that there wasn't a lot of stick work when there were "goons" and fighting every game. I would need to do a bit more research, but I would contend there were probably more slashing/spearing/cross checking "back in the good old days" by the guys that would/could beat the snot out of you just to goad you into a fight. You don't need to train or practice to prepare you for fighting -- it comes pretty instinctively when someone is trying to punch you in the face. Most people don't train or practice for their first fight at school, or at the bar when your buddy acts like a fool. Having teenagers fight for our entertainment is quite a sad thing when you think about it. I know you can't equate real world and sports all the time, but we don't condone a grade 12 punching out a grade 10 because he bumped him in the hall, or stole his seat at lunch time.

Reactions: OMG67

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's also important to recognize that even if a "ban" on fighting is implemented, it doesn't mean that there will be no fighting. It just means that there will be suspensions after your first fight. Some players go over their 3 fight limit and get suspensions now for fighting, so it's reasonable to assume that some players would still fight under the new rules, even knowing a suspension was forthcoming.

There is no fighting in minor hockey, and yet I witnessed two fights in the same game a few weeks ago.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As I mentioned previously we all watch the World Juniors. There is no fighting in that tourney. It's fast exciting hockey. I doubt there is a real need to over haul the rule book and change the game even more. The rules are in place to police the game. Even if they banned fighting coaches and fans will still bitch about calls a hundred years from now if we haven't blown ourselves into space by then. Even in non fighting sports players, coaches and fans all bitch about refs. That will never change. Just look above at teams that lost last night. I am sure the refs were the cause of losses in a couple of contests. ;)
If a twerp playing in the WJC went to the net (after the whistle) with gloves and/or stick high or to the face, he would be penalized. In the OHL it’s strategy to draw retaliation.
I think fighting after a clean hit would stop quick if the instigator was given 2 min and match.
Willing combatants can get the game, or match if in final 10 min.

But pummelling an aggressive twerp should be rewarded some how imo. Maybe 2 min for rough, 2 min for instigating and the game for needless after whistle aggression.

Reactions: OMG67 and bobber

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I like the no fighting rule. If fighting stays in Junior hockey rather than a 2 minute instigator penalty, the player instigating the fight should be given a 5 minute instigator penalty where his team is short handed for 5 minutes.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If a twerp playing in the WJC went to the net (after the whistle) with gloves and/or stick high or to the face, he would be penalized. In the OHL it’s strategy to draw retaliation.
I think fighting after a clean hit would stop quick if the instigator was given 2 min and match.
Willing combatants can get the game, or match if in final 10 min.

But pummelling an aggressive twerp should be rewarded some how imo. Maybe 2 min for rough, 2 min for instigating and the game for needless after whistle aggression.
There are players who act out every game they play in. We all have seen them in the OHL. They seem to hear a distant drummer and nothing else. Not sure if they have a bat in the belfry but they act the same in every league they play in. Dirty I do agree these players need to be held to account if they can't get a shot in the beak for their actions.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I have no issue with a fighting ban, but if they have a fighting ban the refs HAVE to call more and there HAS to be serious consequence if you take a run at another player (star or not). It's that simple, even the borderline stuff needs to get called. You need to nip the tit for tat retaliation stuff in the but before it's allowed to escalate, and if you are going to do that, you may as well move to larger ice too and a lot more penalties will disappear when players have more room to move.

Fighting exists because the refs and the leagues aren't effectively policing the game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have no issue with a fighting ban, but if they have a fighting ban the refs HAVE to call more and there HAS to be serious consequence if you take a run at another player (star or not). It's that simple, even the borderline stuff needs to get called. You need to nip the tit for tat retaliation stuff in the but before it's allowed to escalate, and if you are going to do that, you may as well move to larger ice too and a lot more penalties will disappear when players have more room to move.

Fighting exists because the refs and the leagues aren't effectively policing the game.
Clean body crushing checks can stay, have to stay imo.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. Brace for hits. Don’t expose yourself to big hits rather than expect the hitter to ease up out of pity.
Get rid of the after whistle crap and hand out majors for all the hacks and slashes. There are quite a few fractured fingers and wrists.
Just call the infractions according to the rule book.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Clean body crushing checks can stay, have to stay imo.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. Brace for hits. Don’t expose yourself to big hits rather than expect the hitter to ease up out of pity.
Get rid of the after whistle crap and hand out majors for all the hacks and slashes. There are quite a few fractured fingers and wrists.
Just call the infractions according to the rule book.
Getting rid of fighting is going to cause more clean but big open ice hits to be called as penalties. Whether you liek it or not that will be the case

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Getting rid of fighting is going to cause more clean but big open ice hits to be called as penalties. Whether you liek it or not that will be the case
I think the elimination of fighting will increase cheap shots, slashing, … to start
Hitting is already starting to become a lost art. Some teams appreciate good hitting more than others, and have a few good hitters that team mates learn from. Some teams don’t look for good hitters, have none, and graduate none

Reactions: swoopster

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I think the elimination of fighting will increase cheap shots, slashing, … to start
Hitting is already starting to become a lost art. Some teams appreciate good hitting more than others, and have a few good hitters that team mates learn from. Some teams don’t look for good hitters, have none, and graduate none
Like Saginaw, they couldn't check the Zamboni if it was parked at center ice. For the life of me, why are we developing player skills centered on nothing but a free wheeling, no contact style of hockey?

• Haha

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
. I know you can't equate real world and sports all the time, but we don't condone a grade 12 punching out a grade 10 because he bumped him in the hall, or stole his seat at lunch time.

I'd rather a good clean scrap over nasty stickwork and cheap shots/hits that go uncalled. Kids under 18 compete various forms of martial arts, wrestling and boxing so should be ban those sports too?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You still saw/see cheapshots though so I don't know how there would be an increase necessarily.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You don't need to train or practice to prepare you for fighting -- it comes pretty instinctively when someone is trying to punch you in the face. Most people don't train or practice for their first fight at school, or at the bar when your buddy acts like a fool.

I've seen players show others how to fight upon getting into the OHL. It was more of a "this is what you do in case", but still existed. Having that knowledge isn't a bad thing; you're more prepared in case stuff happens, whether it's in hockey or actual life. Personally, I'd rather be prepared and not need to use it, rather than have no idea and "let's hope for the best."

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Like Saginaw, they couldn't check the Zamboni if it was parked at center ice. For the life of me, why are we developing player skills centered on nothing but a free wheeling, no contact style of hockey?

Obviously you hate Coach Laz but come on thats the future of hockey and everyone knows it. Makar and McDavid types are the future of the NHL game. The monster power forward or big defensive dman who cant skate are dying out for the skill game. In 10-15 years the entire game will be that style

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I've seen players show others how to fight upon getting into the OHL. It was more of a "this is what you do in case", but still existed. Having that knowledge isn't a bad thing; you're more prepared in case stuff happens, whether it's in hockey or actual life. Personally, I'd rather be prepared and not need to use it, rather than have no idea and "let's hope for the best."
You are correct OHLTG. I use to attend a ton of practices in at the Aud. Over the years saw lots of vets that would throw down in games showing rookies and others how to handle themselves in fights. During free time at practice. Some players over the years were great technical fighters and could even handle bigger opponents. Probably still happens to an extent. Not as many fights now but quarunteed there will be a couple in the play offs. :naughty:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Obviously you hate Coach Laz but come on thats the future of hockey and everyone knows it. Makar and McDavid types are the future of the NHL game. The monster power forward or big defensive dman who cant skate are dying out for the skill game. In 10-15 years the entire game will be that style
The slow skater has already pretty much been phased out. I’m sure there will be the odd Darian Hatcher that is just so good at everything else that they could succeed despite being slow, but not many.
If separating man from the puck with big hits does get mostly phased out, I fear the puck possession game will make hockey like watching ringette without zone rules because there will be no fear of crossing the middle head down.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
is it just me or are most of the arguments in favour of fighting that its required to make up for referees not doing their job? it seems like there's an obvious solution that doesn't involve children punching each other in the face while adults clap?

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
is it just me or are most of the arguments in favour of fighting that its required to make up for referees not doing their job? it seems like there's an obvious solution that doesn't involve children punching each other in the face while adults clap?
Bingo!!!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Then they will just argue that the referees are controlling the game and they should just "let them play"

Reactions: OMG67

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Then they will just argue that the referees are controlling the game and they should just "let them play"
aren't they "controlling" the game by picking and choosing when they call certain things? i dunno. seems to me that the fact that the standard of officiating changes from period to period is controlling the game. i'm a firm believer that the same standard of "what is a penalty" should be consistent game to game, period to period, and shift to shift.

it would be much more honest and genuine for the pro-fighting fans to admit they enjoy watching children fist fight. don't beat around the bush hahaha

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It's really up to the leagues to take fighting out of hockey. Most of us on here are legends in our own minds. The only people that ponder our musings whether right or wrong are posting or reading these threads. If the Quebec League takes it out the rest will follow. Not sure what the NHL will do because it is a different animal. There are no teenagers there with the exception of maybe a Bedard in the future. I've been around for three quarters of a century and the game has changed tremendously over that period of time. One guy even accused me of being Gordie Howe's Pee Wee coach. It will keep evolving for better or worse despite what we fans think. Most of the NHL adds are for gambling now. In the end money trumps everything. We banter about fighting. What about the issue of players like Wilson etc. that spend a career injuring others with dirty hits. Maybe that will be the next big issue?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
This year in the OHL, what players missed games because of a concussion delivered by a clean hit? What players missed time because of an injury by a clean hit? What players missed time because of a concussion as the result of a questionable/ dirty play? What players missed time due to an injury from a questionable/dirty play? What players missed time due to a concussion from a fight? What players missed time due to an injury from a fight?

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
This year in the OHL, what players missed games because of a concussion delivered by a clean hit? What players missed time because of an injury by a clean hit? What players missed time because of a concussion as the result of a questionable/ dirty play? What players missed time due to an injury from a questionable/dirty play? What players missed time due to a concussion from a fight? What players missed time due to an injury from a fight?
Wouldn't it be easier to say if we could remove injuries caused by a fight that's a step in the right direction? There are always going to be injuries - it's a contact sport (even non contact sports have injuries). There will also always be injuries caused by dirty/questionable plays - people are generally terrible to each other so that's going to happen (in all sports as in life). I think the refs need to call the rules as they are written - players will adapt -- but there will still be fights and injuries (see note about people, see note about contact sports), just need to face the consequences to those rules being broken.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I find it interesting some of the comments regarding dirty play and injuries. I don’t track this but from where I am watching, the dirty play has decreased as have injuries related to bad hits and dirty play.

I think there needs to be a strong distinction between dirty play and chippy play. There will always be players that play up to the line and maybe cross it now and then in an effort to draw a reaction and an ensuing penalty based on a retaliation. Opposing teams hate that player and the home teams love that player. Brad Marchand is a great NHL example. Brady Stonehouse is a great OHL example.

If we look at the NHL, a player like Scott Stevens is now a dinosaur. Players can no longer target heads without facing severe consequences from major penalties, fines and suspensions, even in the NHL. Heavy checks from behind into the boards now are pretty much gone with the exception of the accidents where a player changes direction at the last second and gets hit awkwardly into the boards. Hard hits that make primary contact to the head are penalized agressively. Slashes on the hands and arms are called almost 100%. Hooks to the hands and under the hands are called almost 100%. Slew Footing has been expanded and I think mist of us still don’t have a complete understanding of what that is now. Anyone falling back awkwardly is usually the recipient of a slew foot call now.

Officials MANAGE THE GAME. It is their responsibility to make judgements with respect to what is a penalty when things like roughing or post-whistle scrums happen. Players will be agressive and when they are overly aggressive, they go to the box and feel shame. More often than not, it is the defending team in front of their own net that is trying to defend the goalie needlessly that causes a lot of the post-whistle scrums. It seems like a player going for an open puck or lightly bumps the goalie out of the crease going for the puck is the mortal enemy. No harm no foul, right? Wrong. Melee ensues.

The game of hockey is evolving into a more skilled game that is emphasizing speed. As changes at the Major Junior level are made, those changes will translate into culture changes that organically filter up to the NHL.

Hockey is the only major sport where fighting is allowed with a penalty assessed that doesn’t put the player out of the game. There is no need for it (as much as I like a good heated fight as a spectator). Kids should not be in situations where they are fighting. Grown adults shouldn’t be in situations where they are fighting either!

Chippy play will always be a part of the game and it is encouraged. Dirty play is not and has been called relatively consistent. Major fouls are reviewed in game as well. We see countless suspension in the OHL for all sorts of plays. Many of which the home team fans are upset about them or the length.

The OHL has a 3 fight rule which I find ridiculous. Either fighting is allowed or it is not. It should not be, “well, there is a need for fighting but not a need for a lot of fighting.” It is silly. Either fighting is dangerous and needs to be banned or it isn’t. Figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad