GDT: QF • Jan. 2 • Russia 4, Switzerland 3 (SO) • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Shalunovs reaction when Russia score 3-3 :laugh:

Shalulov_picture.jpg

Yeah, lol. Noticed that during the game and immediately thought that that screenshot will be shown at hfboards today.

Fulcrum

Haha I noticed that, the whole bench and building are going nuts and he's like ehhh whateva

If I had to guess, that is because Varnakov threw the book at him after a crappy tournament he's been having. Also a crappy game from what I can tell. Shalunov was a no-show during U18 too, even before he broke his leg.

I remember at one point people thought he was going to be the next Malkin or Ovi after he lit up the MHL in playoffs at the age of 16.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Hopefully Yakupov is just pressing because of a home tournament. He's playing like a guy with all the tools but a weak feel for the game and his teammates

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Yakupov is NOT Kuznetsov or Tarasenko. He can't carry a team by himself.

He's no good when he's the focal point of an offense. He needs to be able to lurk in the weeds.

Unlike Varnakov at WJC, Neftekhimik uses Yakupov the right way and that's why he's successful in the KHL. Hopefully Edmonton does the same.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Just saw the "knee" that caused the 5on3, what a horrible call. That was a solid hip check. These refs are a joke!!

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow

He's no good when he's the focal point of an offense. He needs to be able to lurk in the weeds.

Unlike Varnakov at WJC, Neftekhimik uses Yakupov the right way and that's why he's successful in the KHL. Hopefully Edmonton does the same.

This is very correct, he looked a different player in the KHL by being used correctly with line mates that would feed him in the offensive zone. Even so he has not scored in his last 9 KHL matches and only collected four points. Completely different to how he started his KHL season with 11 goals and four assists (15 points) in his first 13 matches.

The kid is in a slump and is not being used effectively, I find it odd how people are quick to shoot him down though and think he will be Afininogenov. I never considered him to be the next Bure ( Larionov and his ridiculous comparisons :shakehead) but he is a very driven kid who will probably be used correctly at the Oilers.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Roughing with the hip lol?

If you want you can rough with any part of the body. :)

The fact that causes the penalty is that the puck is gone and out of play and there is no reason to attack Bertschy there. So you can call that. Kneeing is a joke, that's true, but the penalty itself isn't.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Just finished watching the game...wow, what a close one! Gotta give the Suisse credit, they have perfected their team game. Good for Russia to pull this one out though, always nice to have the big four in the semi's IMO.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If you want you can rough with any part of the body. :)

The fact that causes the penalty is that the puck is gone and out of play and there is no reason to attack Bertschy there. So you can call that. Kneeing is a joke, that's true, but the penalty itself isn't.
Interference.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Yeah, this was a good game, but the Russians continue to underwhelm me. Not taking anything away from Switzerland, of course, as I thought they played great and it's too bad I didn't get a chance to see any of their previous games. As for Russia, Grigorenko's line seemed to be the only one that got anything going and that's concerning, as it's been that way for a couple of games now. I can't believe Nichushkin's absence could be felt so badly, but it seems it is. I like Kosov's line a lot, though, and am hoping they get it together for the game against Sweden. Same goes for Nesterov, who I thought had just too many bad turnovers that could've easily cost Russia the win.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Russia looked like ****. I'd feel a bit embarrassed if I were them to have barely squeaked by, even though the Swiss are always a solid hard working team.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Russia looked like ****. I'd feel a bit embarrassed if I were them to have barely squeaked by, even though the Swiss are always a solid hard working team.

If I was coaching kids a video of that game is exactly what Id show them to show how to play as a team. The swiss exemplified that. :handclap:

Fulcrum

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Only I would add- YET! I think when he matures he can lead a team, like Kovalchuk matured. But not yet!

Good news for Russia is that Grigorenko and Kucherov stepped up, like in U18. Everything is where it belongs, and the tournament put things in their rightful place no matter how much Varnakov tried to give that leadership role to Yakupov.

Fulcrum

They are not embarassed (cuz they won). But they know very well that the way they did was bad.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Only I would add- YET! I think when he matures he can lead a team, like Kovalchuk matured. But not yet!

Good news for Russia is that Grigorenko and Kucherov stepped up, like in U18. Everything is where it belongs, and the tournament put things in their rightful place no matter how much Varnakov tried to give that leadership role to Yakupov.

I would add that in the KHL Yakupov often gets feed the puck at about the red line while he is full flight, from what I have seen in these games he is getting at at his own blue line while he is winding up, this seems to allow defending teams to converge on him easier and leads to the comments of Yakupov trying to walk through the entire opposing team. The kid can beat a defender 1 on 1, he has done it numerous times in the KHL, but when there are 4 guys waiting for him on the blue line the puck gets turned over.

That being said he does need to use his teammates better if he is in that situation, but it is hard to do anything with the way the team seems to want to break out.

As for him leading, I would echo what has been said. He seems to get too frustrated and is too immature to be a captain at this point in time. The positive is, this kid is frustrated because he loves to score goals, and he loves to win hockey games and that can be infectious for a team if he is successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad