News Article: Q & A with Devils coach Pete DeBoer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJD

May 26, 2011
He gave deboer an out in the larsson/gelinas question by ending it with "are you tougher on kids?" Deboer took that and ran and completely ignored the part of larsson and gelinas

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Only thing good about that interview is that Helgeson, Boucher and Matteau were mentioned by name as depth...otherwise it was an incredibly ignorant and disrespectful interview.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Give credit where credit is due....really good article and I appreciate someone finally asking the head coach tough questions.

I swear Chere reads on here though..the Gelinas/Larrson question was fantastic haha

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
I thought the answer to the Salvador question was the most telling. It seems, based on how he answered the question, that he might lose the locker room if he were to bench Salvador or strip him of the captaincy.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I thought the answer to the Salvador question was the most telling. It seems, based on how he answered the question, that he might lose the locker room if he were to bench Salvador or strip him of the captaincy.

That's a good callout. As much as most of us want to see Salvador scratched, that would certainly be a tough decision with potentially more consequences for Pete to make. I'm sure Sal would handle it like a pro and say the right things, but that woudl be tough. Maybe Pete would consider "resting" Salvador or Zidlicky for some of the back-to-back games that are coming up.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
- Do you hear the criticism?

- You’ve dealt with a lot of criticism yourself. How much does it bother you?

- What about those who say, ‘This guy doesn’t know what he’s doing?’

These 3 questions in a row are ridiculous and disrespectful...I wouldn't grant another interview with Chere. You would think the team is 0-11 with this line of questioning, not 6-3-2 and in 2nd place in the division.

Completely out of line and disrespectful to continue with this line of questioning... Chere should know better.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ

These 3 questions in a row are ridiculous and disrespectful...I wouldn't grant another interview with Chere. You would think the team is 0-11 with this line of questioning, not 6-3-2 and in 2nd place in the division.

Completely out of line and disrespectful to continue with this line of questioning... Chere should know better.

Chere sounds like an HF-boarder. Next dumb question would be "maybe Jagr should be the coach instead of you because he says such great things in postgame interviews, what do you think about that?"

And the funny thing is that DeBoer seems to be much more annoyed by the mere presence of TG. That annoys me a bit, since TG is so much more professional in what he does.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Oh the poor little coach had to answer some probing questions. Weather you find them relevant or not he's a big boy and can handle himself.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh the poor little coach had to answer some probing questions. Weather you find them relevant or not he's a big boy and can handle himself.

You ask a question, get a answer...maybe even a followup then move on.

The entire tone of the article was an inquisition with little to no substantive questions....The entire tone was malicious and that is NOT how you do it if you're a beat writer. That is the guy you're going to have to have a working relationship with for as long as he is the head coach if you are covering the team.

I was surprised he didn't ask "Do you still beat your wife"

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Only thing good about that interview is that Helgeson, Boucher and Matteau were mentioned by name as depth...otherwise it was an incredibly ignorant and disrespectful interview.

I did notice that. He mentioned Seth Helgeson by name, that's quite an endorsement for a guy who hasn't played an NHL game yet.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

Chere is is the scum of the earth when it comes to writers. He has no problem fabricating stories or twisting facts just to grab people's attention. Tom Gulliti is a straight shooter, and I appreciate that about him.

By the way, the question regarding Deboer not liking Larsson and Gelinas was answered perfectly. This is what some fan's just refuse to acknowledge. Deboer is being ridiculed for it, yet everyone, including your employer is doing what he's doing, and rightfully so.

You don't treat someone who has worked longer and proven their place on the team or in the company, and demote them as soon as they make a few mistakes. In time, if the older guy shows he doesn't have it any more, consistently, he'll be let go. But for a young guy, to move up the ranks, they're going to have to show a lot more consistency as Salvador once had.

BJD

May 26, 2011
Chere is is the scum of the earth when it comes to writers. He has no problem fabricating stories or twisting facts just to grab people's attention. Tom Gulliti is a straight shooter, and I appreciate that about him.

By the way, the question regarding Deboer not liking Larsson and Gelinas was answered perfectly. This is what some fan's just refuse to acknowledge. Deboer is being ridiculed for it, yet everyone, including your employer is doing what he's doing, and rightfully so.

You don't treat someone who has worked longer and proven their place on the team or in the company, and demote them as soon as they make a few mistakes. In time, if the older guy shows he doesn't have it any more, consistently, he'll be let go. But for a young guy, to move up the ranks, they're going to have to show a lot more consistency as Salvador once had.
He didn't answer anything on larsson and gelinas. He turned it into a young player answer

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He didn't answer anything on larsson and gelinas. He turned it into a young player answer

What do you want him to say? I'm, uncomfortable with Larsson's gap control and foot speed and Gelinas has the hockey sense of brick?

Do you REALLY expect him to list the short coming of a player to explain why they aren't in the lineup more consistently?

BJD

May 26, 2011
What do you want him to say? I'm, uncomfortable with Larsson's gap control and foot speed and Gelinas has the hockey sense of brick?

Do you REALLY expect him to list the short coming of a player to explain why they aren't in the lineup more consistently?
No I don't but he didn't do anything to make me believe otherwise that he doesn't like these two as players and that he isn't harder on them

Edit: basically he dodged the question which is what I fully expected

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
No matter what, DeBoer handled himself pretty well. I know you think it was disrespectful Jim, but he did willingly answer everything (maybe not since we didn't get any soundclips). I especially liked the part where he said Helgeson and Matteau. Hoping they get to play soon.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
No I don't but he didn't do anything to make me believe otherwise that he doesn't like these two as players and that he isn't harder on them

Edit: basically he dodged the question which is what I fully expected

It's called professionalism. There would be nothing good about exposing his own players.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
"Martin Brodeur’s NHL career may be over. Are there any great goaltenders in this league right now?"

I would have loved to see Deboer's face during some of these questions. It's a shame he didn't get a chance to ask Deboer if there will be any great forwards in the league once Jagr retires. Would have been a good follow up.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good questions. Gulitti would be scared to ask any tough questions.

That's not true, TG asked everyone about Salvador last week and he got in Pete's doghouse a couple of times late last season at pressers.

There's a difference between asking tough questions and being NY Post type confrontational though, TG for the most part isn't that way, Chere has become that way.

I don't even think it was a terrible interview per se, Chere or one of his interns is clearly monitoring social media and it seems most of the interview was framed in that vein. I do agree he asked at least one too many questions about Pete dealing with critics though.

Not that I feel bad for Pete by any stretch, if he (or the people ripping Chere) thinks it's tough here then he should try coaching in Toronto or Montreal.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Both Chere and TG have their flaws.
TG whines like a baby at times and his petty rants/shots at the organization knocked him down a few pegs.

Chere has more history on his side and better sources than TG.
But Chere used to be the primary beat writer, since TG came aboard I've noticed that Chere has resorted to yellow journalism at times to grab our attention away from TG.

wellonegm05*

So wait? We are supposed to insulate our coach from answering questions about his job? Protect him from any accountability? I dont care what our "record" is a month into the season. Our team has still shown many of the same deadly flaws that have doomed us the past couple seasons, and winning in spite of them isn't an excuse to ignore them. We did that last year, and all it led to was some cute post season wrap up conversation about how really the only thing separating us from the playoffs was some bad luck in the shootout. Blowing leads consistently, no accountability from veterans, and overplaying scrubs has always been the issue with Pete. None of that has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad