GDT: PWHL - Minnesota Discussion

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Just from some personal experience as parent/coach of girls hockey. The girls that were good enough to play in boys "A team" hockey left because they didn't like the checking. It wasn't a bigger/stronger (it's the age range where the girls were bigger than the boys) issue it was more they felt targeted by the boys. A lot of it came down to fragile egos in the tween/teen (PeeWee/Bantam) boys couldn't take getting scored on by a girl. Even worse was if the boys hit the ice after a check by a girl. Team (co-ed) locker rooms were toxic a lot of times too.

Girls hockey isn't contact free. Hip checking is taught as opposed to boy checking in boys. It's less violent, but also creates lots of lower body injuries.

I like watching women and men hockey. It's the same but different, like baseball is to fast pitch softball, or NFL is to CFL football.
Can confirm, girls definitely get targeted and pushed out of boys leagues. I played in a summer league that allowed girls and boys together, and one of the girls who signed up was good enough that you'd know her name if I told you it. She was targeted non-stop on the ice, and there was enough toxicity in my locker room around her that I was entirely uncomfortable.

I also saw the better nature of people in that league, though. One summer we had a girl on our team who got laid out. The other 4 skaters on the ice for our team (all boys) descended on the boy who checked her like a pack of wolves. Probably they should have treated her like any other skater, but I'd rather they be protective than toxic.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I've gone to one game, and plan to bring my girls to others.

I am concerned that someone was banned from this thread for a factual, provable statement as being sexist.

Maybe there were posts deleted by mods. But seems strange.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I've gone to one game, and plan to bring my girls to others.

I am concerned that someone was banned from this thread for a factual, provable statement as being sexist.

There were definitely posts removed.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Posts were deleted.

Starting off a first comment with “I don’t care that this league exists.” (not a great start) then continuing to beat a drum repeatedly about how the PWHL is flawed and how women’s hockey is beneath men’s hockey qualifies as trolling & threadjacking.

Following that up with “woman don’t have any ability to excel at this sport” crosses a line and is absolutely sexist.

He couldn’t stop himself from arguing, so I felt it was best to remove him from the thread.

We prefer to delete posts that discuss mod actions because they distract from the overall thread topic, but I just want to be transparent about what happened and make it extra clear that we take sexist comments very seriously.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Back on topic. Unfortunate loss to #2 tonight. MN’s still top of the league, though.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Back on topic. Unfortunate loss to #2 tonight. MN’s still top of the league, though.

I watched this one, MN was the better team by far, disappointing finish to give up a late go ahead goal after pressing for what felt like two straight periods.

Zumwinkle is a fun player in the league, pretty dominant from a net drive perspective, oddly reminds me of Owen Nolan, play style and league standing wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minnesota

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I'd only watched bits and pieces of the games so far, so I didn't realize who was all on these teams. Damn Minnesota and Montreal are stacked. Olympic heroes, top young talent, and the starting goalies of the two best national teams in women's hockey. Even the worst team in the league, though, has names like Sarah Nurse and Natalie Spooner. These rosters really have that Original Six feel to them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm happy that the league uses the 3p (W=3, OTW=2, OTL =1, L=0) system for their standings.
I'd rather they just do away with the points system completely, there is no reason for it when every game has a winner/loser.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd rather they just do away with the points system completely, there is no reason for it when every game has a winner/loser.

I disagree. I'd rather see 5v5 (normal hockey) ties than a skills contest decide wins and losses.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I would also be fine with that too... but if you don't have ties, you don't need a point system is all I'm saying.

I still think you need a points system, unless there is a very limited amount of games. The NFL turns into a headache in the standings when ties happen, then it goes off win % (or something) for deciding things.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I still think you need a points system, unless there is a very limited amount of games. The NFL turns into a headache in the standings when ties happen, then it goes off win % (or something) for deciding things.
Disagree, the NFL standings being based off win percentage is just as easy to figure out as anything else. Points is just an unneeded hoop to jump IMO.

Reactions: BagHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad