PVC vs. Metal Goals for Practice - Which to choose?

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Hello all,

so my wonderful girlfriend got me a bunch of hockey stuff for xmas, including a hockey goal and targets for practice. The only issue that I thought of initially is that its made of "high-impact" pvc tubing rather than steel. Anyone use the PVC goal before with actual pucks? I'm afraid that nasty slap shot could snap or crack it. Should I exchange it for a steel goal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, including any other benefits of one over the other.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yes, they will get cracked, but still function. The main problem is the pipes popping out of their joints, or destroying the joints altogether. All it takes is a hearty slap shot.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
If you are in a cold weather climate and leave the goal outside a good wrister or slap shot will go straight through the PVC post with a puck and could easily crack the post with a ball.

I grew up in CT and went through about 4 PVC goals before finally getting my mother to buy a metal goal the fifth time. The metal goal lasted about ten years before I gave it away when I moved down here to TN. The posts got pretty dinged up through the years and I had to replace the netting a couple of times, but the goal frame was a great purchase.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Thanks alot people. I live in the Bay Area, CA so its normally pretty fair weather (with the exception of the last few weeks). I'm going to go ahead and get a metal one. I figure the extra weight will probably be a good thing as well.

thanks again!

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
ya im 14 95 pounds and i have gone through 3 in the last 4 months:banghead: so i now use a ball and it helps but the durability is crap with real pucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad