Recalled/Assigned: Puempel Sent Down

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Now I don't have to wait until the new season of Game of Thrones to watch someone try and usurp a Prince.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He did nothing during camp/preseason.

I still have faith in him for sure, but he needs to show more. We have enough guys who are just warm bodies on the bench.

I would have been absolutely livid if it was Prince who was sent down, and would have definitely started scrutinizing the management team a lot more.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Waivers aside Prince did more to win the job. It won't hurt Puempel to work a bit more in the AHL. He'll be an early call-up if he does what he's asked down there. Prince still has to continue to prove himself so it's not a final by any means.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He'll be back up this season. We won't be healthy all year, and he's quite obviously first in line for a call-up (not just for a top-six spot either, he'll be the first up no matter what). I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him get half a season up here after it's all said and done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
:handclap:

This is the base thing for Puemps. If he does well in Bingo he'll be here within a few months I'm certain.

He did not show much in his limited time here so he needs to go to Bingo to work on his game. I am not as certain as you that he will be back in a few months unless there is a long term injury to a forward.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Trade Chiasson for a wet noodle and a bag of pucks and bring him back!

Prince at this stage in his career still had another year in the AHL. Hoffman had like another 3. Patience.

and I like Chiasson, minus the penalties, in the bottom 6.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Puempel played well late last season until he got hurt but he had to "win" a job to dislodge someone from the active roster this season. He didn't do it and BM admitted that Prince had the inside track because of his waiver status. If Puempel had made it impossible not to dress him over someone like Chiasson he'd be here too. The better he plays in Bingo the more pressure it puts on a couple of guys here. He'll be back either as an injury replacement or due to a trade and will have a spot next year as long as he continues to push himself.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Look, we were all expecting this in the first place. From the get-go, it was obvious that it was a "Prince or Puempel, but not both" situation. Hell, even Murray said as much.

He'll get his chance back up in Ottawa soon enough.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
This is a moot point now but despite what everyone said, Prince v. Puempel was never a thing. Prince was 6th in AHL scoring, 5 fewer than the 2nd highest scorer. Loosing a guy like that, at his age, when you have a pain-free alternative, would have been ridiculously bad asset management. If Murray said there was a battle, it was to motivate, but Prince was never going on waivers.

I really think the uncertainty many feel about Prince is similar to what was felt about Hoff and Stone at the beginning of last year and that things are going to play out the same way. The guy is a gamer.

P.S. Sorry mods for the initial post, I'm a tad dyslexic.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This is a moot point now but despite what everyone said, Prince v. Puempel was never a thing. Prince was 6th in AHL scoring, 5 fewer than the 2nd highest scorer. Loosing a guy like that, at his age, when you have a pain-free alternative, would have been ridiculously bad asset management. If Murray said there was a battle, it was to motivate, but Prince was never going on waivers.

I really think the uncertainty many feel about Prince is similar to what was felt about Hoff and Stone at the beginning of last year and that things are going to play out the same way. The guy is a gamer.

P.S. Sorry mods for the initial post, I'm a tad dyslexic.

Yeah, I don't think Puempel had much of a chance. I think he could have forced Ottawa to make an uncomfortable decision with another player, if he had come to camp and just torn everyone else a new hole, but it was clear that it was an uphill battle, and the hill in question was quite steep.

Honestly: did Puempel legitimately outplay anyone above him on the depth chart in camp? I'm not talking about his potential, I'm talking about what happened over the past month. I'd say "no". Even an old guy like Neil came to camp looking 3 years younger because they knew they were on the bubble. Maybe he outplayed Smith, but Smith gets his spot by virtue of being a center.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think there was a general consensus even last year that Prince looked better than Puempel when he was up, but Puempel just ended up sticking because of logistics/superstition (and of course he also played fine)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think there was a general consensus even last year that Prince looked better than Puempel when he was up, but Puempel just ended up sticking because of logistics/superstition (and of course he also played fine)

Yeah, the team even said that Puempel would be sent down soon and they'd bring in another AHL guy, and they'd just cycle through the farm team giving everyone a "tryout" shot with the big club... then we went on "The Streak", and nobody wanted to mess with the streak, and Puempel just stayed up.

IIRC, it's why Wideman didn't get any NHL games last season.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yeah, the team even said that Puempel would be sent down soon and they'd bring in another AHL guy, and they'd just cycle through the farm team giving everyone a "tryout" shot with the big club... then we went on "The Streak", and nobody wanted to mess with the streak, and Puempel just stayed up.

IIRC, it's why Wideman didn't get any NHL games last season.

They also started a roadtrip to the west coast right after calling up Puempel didn't they? That makes a trade off more difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad