Speculation: PSA Granlund Buyout?

Will Granlund get Bought out by the Penguins this second buyout window?

• YES

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • NO

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
A bit of a PSA here as well!

GRANLUND UNDER THE CURRENT CBA CAN BE BOUGHT OUT !

A second buyout window gets open where you can buyout a player with a cap hit above 4 million and a player that was on the roster before last deadline.

I saw some posters spreading disinformation saying it is not possible. It is possible.

Adding a poll for people's thoughts on if they think he will be bought out. Poll will Close Friday as the window I believe opens on Saturday (correct me if I am wrong)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think it depends on the EK front. If there is a trade there, possibly.

I don't think we buyout Granlund for the mere sake of cap compliance. I think there are better options for that honestly. While he's not the most ideal fit in the bottom 6, I generally believe a Penguins bottom 6, as construction, is better with Granlund in it than out of it. If I am Dubas, I keep tabs on several other players in the league to see if we can work out a Scuderi-Daley like option.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
4.167m in savings next season is massive so they should but they won't Imo. Feels like the team likes Granlund as insurance on a Sid/Geno injury and Sullivan probably thinks he can help drive offence for the bottom-6.

Reactions: Andy99

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I don't even know where the rumors came from at this point, but it's been said that when Dubas was in Toronto, he wanted Granlund. If there's any truth to that, I doubt a buyout happens.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think it depends on the EK front. If there is a trade there, possibly.

I don't think we buyout Granlund for the mere sake of cap compliance. I think there are better options for that honestly. While he's not the most ideal fit in the bottom 6, I generally believe a Penguins bottom 6, as construction, is better with Granlund in it than out of it. If I am Dubas, I keep tabs on several other players in the league to see if we can work out a Scuderi-Daley like option.

I think they buy out Granlund in order to get cap compliant and then sign some boring-ass depth player that everyone here gets all stoked about because lord knows Pittsburgh fans can never have enough bottom six players to whet their hard hat appetite.

I agree with Seal that a buyout wouldn't happen just to become cap compliant. The only way I consider this happening is if Dubas needs it for the EK deal and I am losing hope on that.

So I voted no.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree with Seal that a buyout wouldn't happen just to become cap compliant. The only way I consider this happening is if Dubas needs it for the EK deal and I am losing hope on that.

So I voted no.

I look at it as a twofer.

They get cap compliant without too much muss or fuss and then have a little left over for some shlub to help "round out" the opening day roster.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I look at it as a twofer.

They get cap compliant without too much muss or fuss and then have a little left over for some shlub to help "round out" the opening day roster.
He would have needed to have taken less but if Tarasenko was interested in taking 1 year at 4.17 million I would have loved his scoring potential to be in the top 6.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Stick me down as this depending on a Karlsson trade. If the price is right and the buyout is needed to balance the cap, it happens.

It is possible that Dubas is treating this as his back pocket ace to get cap compliant if nobody makes a trade with him, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not expecting it either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There will either need to be a Granlund buyout/trade or a Carter LTIRetirement to become cap compliant, so something has to give.

I think a buyout is unlikely though, so I vote no here. But something has to give.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I eye Tank a bit suspiciously after last season but that would have been a hell of a lot more exciting than whatever they look increasingly likely to roll with, yeah.

I just view it as an extra top 6 winger for this roster.
I don't view Granlund as that but I do view him as capable to play top 6 between top 6 wingers at a decent level. Just not as a winger if injuries happen. Just overall bid fit

If we had a RW of
Rakell
Tarasenko
Rust
Insert Name.
That doesn't look to bad.

I'd expect 20 goals not 30 though. Also

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Even if Granlund's the one that Dubas deems needs to go to become compliant, I think he'll let the buyout window pass, knowing he has plenty of time left to trade him.
He laughed at the question about buyouts. He hates them. Absolute last resort.

Seems unlikely he would feel pressured to do it in early August, with 2 months left until the season.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
What would you prefer?

Graves Letang
Pettersson Karlsson ($8.0)
$1.75mil more than current top 4

Or

Hanifan Letang
Graves Petry
$925k more than current top 4
Very good question.
I think the Hanifin path would result in more points in the standings, but the EK path would be a better watch.
I'm expecting a Pettersson regression next year and a defensive improvement for Petry. Also a large drop-off for EK's points and availability.
However, a notable detractor is that Hanifin only has a year left and would probably bail. It's possible Joseph has a big year and is ready for middle pair duty in 2024-25, but that's on the optimistic side. Haven't taken a look at the summer 2024 LD UFAs crop to see if there's a realistic replacement that would wanna come here.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
What would you prefer?

Graves Letang
Pettersson Karlsson ($8.0)
$1.75mil more than current top 4

Or

Hanifan Letang
Graves Petry
$925k more than current top 4

Good enough D on the left side to let EK do his thing. And the PP. Goodbye pump fakes, hello shots to the net.

Love Hanifin though, I think he'd be an awesome fit.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I eye Tank a bit suspiciously after last season but that would have been a hell of a lot more exciting than whatever they look increasingly likely to roll with, yeah.
I wouldn't discount Dubas just yet. If he misses on Karlsson I imagine he'll still be swinging for the fences. Which we need.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Player makes over 4 million dollars yet is so bad they can be bought out and PAID TO NOT PLAY and further contaminate current roster.

The whole of it boggles the mind.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Voted yes, typing maybe... I cannot understand why a bunch of billionaires called the Fenway Sports Bunch just don't break all the laws like Congress does and pay Granlund a walk in to the kitchen sink to get a drink and grab some money on the counter or pull 25 million dollars out their buttholes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad