PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Apparently you can run emulators on the XSX that lets you play: Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PS2 games.

Which means I can play more PS2 games on the Xbox than I can the PS5 :laugh:
I wonder if you can use it as both a console and an emulation box at the same time. If so, that's just about the only thing I've heard so far about the Series X that's tempting for me.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I wonder if you can use it as both a console and an emulation box at the same time. If so, that's just about the only thing I've heard so far about the Series X that's tempting for me.
From what I understand, in the Xbox's developer mode (where you run the emulators) you can't run retail games or apps. You have to switch back to the normal mode to do that. Still a pretty neat feature.

Reactions: Beau Knows

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Apparently you can run emulators on the XSX that lets you play: Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PS2 games.

That’s actually hilarious. Going to bust out the twisted metals!

I think Beau Knows posted a YouTube video of this being done.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
From what I understand, in the Xbox's developer mode (where you run the emulators) you can't run retail games or apps. You have to switch back to the normal mode to do that. Still a pretty neat feature.
Can you easily switch back and forth between the two modes without having to restart and re-organize anything, though? If so, that's excellent, if not, it's kind of pointless, IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If I can ever get my hands on it (without paying some guy with a bot army 1700 bucks), I'm going PS5. Have gone with PlayStation for 3 and 4, and had both X-Box and PS2 growing up (and prior to that Sega Genesis and N64). At the end of the day, Sony wins on exclusives in my eye due to the developers they've either developed (SIE Santa Monica, SIE Japan, etc) or bought over the years whether recently (Insomniac) or have been with for 10 years or more (Gorilla, Naughty Dog), and the other developer I love (Rockstar) isn't going to be one system exclusive anytime soon. Plus, I never upgraded to PS4 Pro, so that helping with the games I already own for PS4 will be nice.

Cool feature obviously, but most reasonably priced laptops can play almost all of the games from the 128-bit era before the companies started using crazy system architecture to stop that from happening.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
If I can ever get my hands on it (without paying some guy with a bot army 1700 bucks), I'm going PS5. Have gone with PlayStation for 3 and 4, and had both X-Box and PS2 growing up (and prior to that Sega Genesis and N64). At the end of the day, Sony wins on exclusives in my eye due to the developers they've either developed (SIE Santa Monica, SIE Japan, etc) or bought over the years whether recently (Insomniac) or have been with for 10 years or more (Gorilla, Naughty Dog), and the other developer I love (Rockstar) isn't going to be one system exclusive anytime soon. Plus, I never upgraded to PS4 Pro, so that helping with the games I already own for PS4 will be nice.

Cool feature obviously, but most reasonably priced laptops can play almost all of the games from the 128-bit era before the companies started using crazy system architecture to stop that from happening.

Advice on getting the PS5: call your local electronic stores (specifically, EB Games) and ask about buying the console. I've had two friends call after the console was released, get put on a waitlist, and had to wait 10 days at most. One was a Series X, one was a PS5. I imagine the PS5 is harder to get/longer wait time, but it's probably your best bet as they aren't going to be in stores in 2020.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Focusing on gaming and focused on console sales are two very different things.

“But the broader vision we have is to ensure that the three billion gamers out there are able to play their games, anywhere they want with all the content they want and with whom they want to,”

Meaning xCloud and crossplatform.

Like I said, Phil Spencer already made it clear they're not going to stop making consoles: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Says Microsoft Is Planning on More Consoles After Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S - IGN

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The next round of consoles is probably going to be VR-heavy anyway. Think about where that tech is going to be 7 years from now...

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

“But the broader vision we have is to ensure that the three billion gamers out there are able to play their games, anywhere they want with all the content they want and with whom they want to,”

Microsoft is not going to stop putting out consoles, that’s ridiculous. They sell well, even if it’s not as much as Sony or Nintendo.

Plus, the Series X is the most powerful console ever made. And before that, the One X was.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Microsoft is not going to stop putting out consoles, that’s ridiculous. They sell well, even if it’s not as much as Sony or Nintendo.

Plus, the Series X is the most powerful console ever made. And before that, the One X was.

Xbox series x claimed to be. Their slogan was ‘the most powerful console ever’ or something like that. But they changed it recently to ‘the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever’. Probably because on paper it was more powerful than ps5 and decided to automatically make that claim that it was. but overall so far, ps5 has been outperforming it and taking it to school. They put the the cart before the horse. Hilarious. Honestly though, both are great consoles and console wars are stupid. Play what you want.

Microsoft is going the route of selling game pass subs and don’t care what you play it on. The games they make will be added to it to try and entice more ppl to buy it. Their goal is to get to 50 million. Sony on the other hand sells consoles but mostly relies on selling games esp exclusives and accessories. That’s where they make the bulk of their money.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The PS5 put dev kits out there many months earlier so the PS5 marginally outperforming to start makes sense. The Xbox is better on backwards compatible indicating there is more raw power. Also Ubisoft isn't exactly known for optimizing things well.

In the coming months and year I would imagine we'd likely start to see games perform better on Xbox. Either way right now and in the future it's unlikely to be enough to drive a purchase decision.

And Microsoft isn't about to abandon hardware, LOL. Sure, maybe a long, long, long, long term strategy but we're talking decades at minimum.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
It's too early to make that claim. Isn't the PS5 outperforming it on basically every third party game right now?

The Xbox has the more powerful system. The specs on paper are the facts. Whether the dev kits are easy to work with or not is something different.

this happened a couple generations ago, I can’t remember which system it was but it wasn’t very easy to work with the dev kit so you never got the proper performance out of the system.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's too early to make that claim. Isn't the PS5 outperforming it on basically every third party game right now?

That's because MS had to wait for AMD to finalize their chips. That meant they were a little late with both manufacturing units (late summer according to Phil Spencer) and final dev kits. Ubisoft for example have already fixed performance issues with the recent patch. Once the devs get more familiar with the system, there can be more clear differences. It's also not going be PS3 level wait.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Xbox has the more powerful system. The specs on paper are the facts. Whether the dev kits are easy to work with or not is something different.

this happened a couple generations ago, I can’t remember which system it was but it wasn’t very easy to work with the dev kit so you never got the proper performance out of the system.

PS3. Devs didn't get the best out of until towards the end of it's cycle. It was harder to develop on than the 360. Not the same issue with Series X and PS 5.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Even if they never make a red cent purely off their consoles, they won’t drop them. In their eyes they are Gamepass machines, aka ATMs. As long as people want dedicated systems they will sell them. They may take a little loss on a console sale, but they make up for it in the long run with Live/Gamepass, etc. That’s not including any extra ecosystem sales they get out of it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I was super torn on which to get at launch, but the fact that I already have Gamepass for a year or so and have played %80 of my games on Xbox this past gen I decided to go with the SX. Managed to scoop one up a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. The speeds have blown me away.

My only gripe is the controller. I wish they added a little more to it.. *cough* rechargeable batteries *cough*

Any UI complaints are bogus, yes it’s the same dashboard as the One BUT, the Dashboard now compared to the launch dashboard is night and day difference. Microsoft took a different approach, they gradually built up and are now seemingly taking more of a PC approach to their systems vs a cut and dry generation approach. Which I’m cool with.

I will say though, I am for sure getting a PS5 at some point, those exclusives and the PSVR will make sure of that.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2