GDT: PS Game 6: Blue Jackets @ Predators | 10/4 8PM

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Columbus Lineup
Forwards: Josh Anderson, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Mike Brown, Gregory Campbell, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Markus Hannikainen, William Karlsson, Sonny Milano, Lukas Sedlak, Jarret Stoll, Alexander Wennberg, Daniel Zaar

Defense: Keith Aulie, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Scott Harrington, Dalton Prout, David Savard, Zach Werenski

Goaltenders: Anton Forsberg, Joonas Korpisalo

Nashville Lineup
TBA

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
So the actual team we'll be icing will have played 2 games together (assuming they finalize it for the final 2 games) and then take 4 days off before starting the season. Are we really that unsure what our final roster is going to be at this point? Yikes

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
^^I don't see it that way at all. I honestly think at this point they know probably all but maybe 2 spots. The final F and final D. There is no reason to risk injury to the vets with 3 or 4 games left freak accidents happen. I don't expect the actual full lineup until the final game and even that one may have 1 or 2 guys that don't make the cut. Pre season is a good way to position an idea of who will be good for early season call ups before they have a chance to showcase themselves in the AHL regular season. They know what they are doing trust in the coaches a little and have faith.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
So the actual team we'll be icing will have played 2 games together (assuming they finalize it for the final 2 games) and then take 4 days off before starting the season. Are we really that unsure what our final roster is going to be at this point? Yikes

Seems to be the way every pre-season goes. More vets play at home, more minor-league guys play on road. But even home games it's bits and pieces of a lineup.

The lineup can pretty well be viewed by looking at guaranteed contracts then looking at other spots available. I'd be shocked to see any 1 way contracts playing in Cleveland, but I could be wrong.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
based on his play in practice, a good game tonight should earn Mike Brown at least an AHL contract tonight...

Stoll has to show something tonight or he's sent packing even if I'd prefer him to Campbell...

based on that defense Savard/Werenski are going to play 30 minutes :laugh:

and probably one last shot for Bjork to impress enough to stick around IMO

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
This is probably the last game for the vast majority of these guys, so if they want to make a statement, it better be quick.

Thursday should be a heavily regular line-up, with a few noobs sprinkled in for final decisions on them.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
^^I don't see it that way at all. I honestly think at this point they know probably all but maybe 2 spots. The final F and final D. There is no reason to risk injury to the vets with 3 or 4 games left freak accidents happen. I don't expect the actual full lineup until the final game and even that one may have 1 or 2 guys that don't make the cut. Pre season is a good way to position an idea of who will be good for early season call ups before they have a chance to showcase themselves in the AHL regular season. They know what they are doing trust in the coaches a little and have faith.

Thats fair, but these guys havent played together since April of this year, so i'd prefer they start to click before the season starts, that way they're ready to go and not using the regular season to get use to each other again (especially if we're looking at different lines from last year), just my opinion

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Will this be the day when the courage of the men of Columbus will fail? Or just one of those days. Lesson for the day shall be that 'you can be afraid but cannot be passive' as Raimo 'Rami' Summanen taught us.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Time for the kids (Anderson, Bjork/Milano/Dubois) to start earning spots and bolting them down.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I have a strong feeling this will be the last time we see Bjorkstrand until after the season starts and a forward is needed as a call up. His play this preseason just doesn't warrant keeping him up and playing him in a sheltered role, if at all. If he has a poor game, send him down to find his groove again.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wouldn't mind, from a team-building perspective, if Zaar wins the spot over Bjorkstrand. Zaar plays a complete game, and as a 22 year old it's about time we see what he can do in real NHL action. I'm not the least bit worried about Bjorkstrand. He's a clutch scorer and we'll see him again soon.

I'm also trying not to overlearn from pre-season when guys are getting bag-skated everyday. The real tryouts were last year in the NHL and in the Calder Cup playoffs. We know what guys like Bjork and Anderson can do when the pressure gets dialed up.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Pretty interesting how fast Bjork fell (at least on this board). Mid-summer a lot (maybe most) had him penciled in as 1st line RW. Now potentially starting the year in Cleveland?
Maybe it's more that too many folks penciled him into a top 6 spot, and he as likely to be on 3rd line or Cleveland but we just hoped for a difference maker and he just isn't ready.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pretty interesting how fast Bjork fell (at least on this board). Mid-summer a lot (maybe most) had him penciled in as 1st line RW. Now potentially starting the year in Cleveland?
Maybe it's more that too many folks penciled him into a top 6 spot, and he as likely to be on 3rd line or Cleveland but we just hoped for a difference maker and he just isn't ready.

I don't think anything has changed with Bjork. He hasn't had a great camp and it wouldn't be bad for him to start in Cleveland. He can still be a player for us.

We also penciled him in next to Wennberg because those two worked well together, it's not an indication that he is up the ladder above Atkinson and the rest of them.

And it's not a huge fall from #1RW - for someone with his skillset, you either put him in a position to score a lot of goals or you send him down. It's not like checking duty is an option.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I honestly think Dubois might steal that last spot from Bjorkstrand. If Gagner slides to the wing I'd rather have Dubois in a shutdown role in the bottom 6 than Gagner at center in the bottom 6. It strengthens both our W and center depth IMO.

However I won't be upset if he's sent down, I'll just be upset he can't play in the AHL where he needs to be.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Isn't ready? After Saad, he was the best player IN COLUMBUS for the last 12 games of last year. Now because of 2 games that don't count, he's not ready?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Isn't ready? After Saad, he was the best player IN COLUMBUS for the last 12 games of last year. Now because of 2 games that don't count, he's not ready?

He was sent down to the monsters before the last game in Columbus I think.

Yes he was good for 12 games. Most NHL players are good for 12 games at some point. That doesn't make him a good NHL player.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So we are supposed to think that 2 pre-season games trumps 2 YEARS of Bjorkstrand being the clearly superior player.

That's what that plan is?

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego

Agreed.

I think it's pretty obvious that the young players have suffered the most in the exhibition games as the result of Torts' camp.

Dubois, Wennberg, Milano, Bjorkstrand, Anderson have all been playing below what we have come to expect from them. I think this is by design. I don't think it means that they have fallen far or anything, but that they are being shown what the standard is.

Bjork is still on the bubble. We are just seeing what he looks like when he has all of his energy sapped from him. Wennberg has been very bad. It doesn't mean he has lost his slot as one of the team's top 3 centers, it could just mean he is busting his butt in practice.

And I don't think it is a matter of not having any idea of what the team looks like at this point. Whoever is not playing tonight has pretty much made it. Almost everyone not playing tonight is a lock. They were practicing in one group together the last couple days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad