CFHF Fantasy League Prospect Ruling Poll

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Disclaimer: I got permission from MarkGio to create another thread for our fantasy hockey league.

Hello all the people who are in the fantasy hockey league,

I have had some complaints over the past few weeks about the prospect draft. Many people have stated that the prospect draft has become too weak and the picks do not hold any value. Since many prospects were taken in the regular draft, the regular draft has also been weakened. Well, we hope to change that.

We have three different options for you guys to choose from.

Option One:

This is II and I's proposed rule:

As everyone knows, if an NHL team doesn't sign their prospect(s) by [insert year here], they would re-enter the draft. Well, we are going to try to implement this into our fantasy league.

If a team doesn't use a keeper on a prospect and the prospect doesn't play 40 games in the NHL, he would enter into the prospect draft.

Also, if someone doesn't use a keeper on a prospect they selected on, they would enter into the prospect draft (ex: Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, or Rasmus Risto) instead of going back into the regular draft.

Option Two:

Have the prospect draft BEFORE the regular draft. This would make prospect picks very valuable and would also make the regular draft stronger.

Option Three:

Keep it the way it is.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Will there be a separate poll concerning eligible players for the prospect draft?

I have and will always push for allowing any player with 0 NHL games who has reached NHL draft eligibility.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Will there be a separate poll concerning eligible players for the prospect draft?

I have and will always push for allowing any player with 0 NHL games who has reached NHL draft eligibility.

We're keeping the number at 100, a lot of people are fine with that.

The other issue is if we should only have [insert current draft year] prospects only in the p.draft, or allow the prospect draft to let teams choose players that were eligible for the past two drafts.. If that makes sense; I'm tired.

Fantasy Billionaire

Feel The Heat
Jun 22, 2009
Calgary
navarres.helo.life
We're keeping the number at 100, a lot of people are fine with that.

The other issue is if we should only have [insert current draft year] prospects only in the p.draft, or allow the prospect draft to let teams choose players that were eligible for the past two drafts.. If that makes sense; I'm tired.

makes perfect sense. Eligible from previous drafts as long as they have not played an NHL game would work for me

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I vote prospect draft before main draft so it has value.

100 game rule is fine.

Don't really care if its only for players drafted in 1 year or not.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
makes perfect sense. Eligible from previous drafts as long as they have not played an NHL game would work for me

I agree. No reason to limit it to 1, 2, 3 or any number of drafts, as long as they haven't played a game in the NHL. Nobody is likely to take untested overagers in the main draft, so they might as well be protectable for those wanting to take a flyer on a late-bloomer.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
All I know is that I wouldn't have taken Sam Morin and whoever if I could choose Granlund or Wotherspoon. Guys you can actually see the light at the end of tunnel.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
All I know is that I wouldn't have taken Sam Morin and whoever if I could choose Granlund or Wotherspoon. Guys you can actually see the light at the end of tunnel.

Right, and yet at the same time, people would have had the option to take those guys in earlier drafts if they'd had the foresight. Allowing more years just gives more choice, and at the same time increases the odds that every prospect eventually becomes a regular NHL player.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If we made it so that you had to use a keeper on a prospect, it would significantly strengthen the regular draft. Or it would significantly increase the prospect draft. I dunno, but I would think some people would let their prospects walk and re-enter the draft. I think it would create more parity between teams.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If we made it so that you had to use a keeper on a prospect, it would significantly strengthen the regular draft. Or it would significantly increase the prospect draft. I dunno, but I would think some people would let their prospects walk and re-enter the draft. I think it would create more parity between teams.

I think in order for that to work, we'd need to have separate prospect keeper picks. I assume that's what you're going for. If we would need to use some of our 9 keepers on prospects, it would become pretty much impossible to really build a team at all.

KiwiFlamesFan

Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
I love option two. Would be really exciting to have the prospect draft first. And would also follow real life whereby our main draft is essentially free agency.

Great work TFG and II!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't see how the regular draft has been weakened by letting in prospects into the draft, if anything it was strengthened because there was still some good guys left at the end of the draft who could put up 30-40 pts.

I would like to strengthen both drafts. Let people take prospects into the regular draft while broadening the prospect draft to include everyone. This way you're not taking from either or. By weakening the regular draft and taking away potential picks such as McKinnon or Drouin, while at the same time broadening the prospect draft, these two events together make the prospect draft too strong when the regular draft is weak.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Why is that? Because once they've played in the NHL they're considered a graduate? What about international players (ie, Brunner) who have never technically played an NHL game?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't see how the regular draft has been weakened by letting in prospects into the draft, if anything it was strengthened because there was still some good guys left at the end of the draft who could put up 30-40 pts.

I would like to strengthen both drafts. Let people take prospects into the regular draft while broadening the prospect draft to include everyone. This way you're not taking from either or. By weakening the regular draft and taking away potential picks such as McKinnon or Drouin, while at the same time broadening the prospect draft, these two events together make the prospect draft too strong when the regular draft is weak.

I like making the prospect draft first that way a bad team can rebound rather quickly and the pressure is on the top teams to remain on top. Rebuild will be quicker and dynasties are less likely.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I like making the prospect draft first that way a bad team can rebound rather quickly and the pressure is on the top teams to remain on top. Rebuild will be quicker and dynasties are less likely.
But prospects cannot be swapped or replaced like regular players. If the prospect draft is too strong, we'll see high potential guys floating in no-man's land and there's nothing you can do about it until they make the NHL and become a part of the regular draft.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
But prospects cannot be swapped or replaced like regular players. If the prospect draft is too strong, we'll see high potential guys floating in no-man's land and there's nothing you can do about it until they make the NHL and become a part of the regular draft.

I think TherapyforGlencross said he is going to be very strict with the rules so I doubt it will take that long. We could even do a prospect draft during the nhl playoffs as it won't affect them at all.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think TherapyforGlencross said he is going to be very strict with the rules so I doubt it will take that long. We could even do a prospect draft during the nhl playoffs as it won't affect them at all.

Well if you did it before the real draft, that could affect things in a bad way. I draft the player in a system, not the player. An example is Nate McKinnon, who's a centre in a system that's stacked at centre. So really, he might not be as valuable statistics wise as Monahan or Nurse, both of whom were projected to play an important role for their respective clubs quite immediately.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well if you did it before the real draft, that could affect things in a bad way. I draft the player in a system, not the player. An example is Nate McKinnon, who's a centre in a system that's stacked at centre. So really, he might not be as valuable statistics wise as Monahan or Nurse, both of whom were projected to play an important role for their respective clubs quite immediately.

You can always trade prospects as well. I think your looking for problems to having the prospect draft first.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I don't see how the regular draft has been weakened by letting in prospects into the draft, if anything it was strengthened because there was still some good guys left at the end of the draft who could put up 30-40 points.

This is exactly how the regular draft has been weakened. Prospects being taken in regular draft while 30-40 pt players not being taken. I also remember you saying the same thing.

There's positives and negatives to all three options.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
TherapyforGlencross can we keep the same prospect draft as we just did? Where we submit a list and you go through them and announce the prospects then we could do the prospect draft first without it taking any real time and it would still give us the same amount of time for the real draft. It seems like a win-win to me.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
TherapyforGlencross can we keep the same prospect draft as we just did? Where we submit a list and you go through them and announce the prospects then we could do the prospect draft first without it taking any real time and it would still give us the same amount of time for the real draft. It seems like a win-win to me.

Yeah, sure thing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why is that? Because once they've played in the NHL they're considered a graduate? What about international players (ie, Brunner) who have never technically played an NHL game?

Those are players I would advocate having as prospects. If someone had wanted to pick Brunner prior to last season, it would have been a risk, for one, but it also would have prevented them from picking, say, a late first rounder from that draft. I guess the problem you're bringing up is that eventually (over time), the prospect draft would involve pretty much exclusively picks from the previous drafts who would be ready to join the NHL, and thus new NHLers would never be available in the main draft.

I'm not so sure that's true, but at the same time, I'm not so sure it's important. For one thing, drafting a Damien Brunner type player last year instead of, say, a recent first-round pick would be a risk. Is Damien Brunner's ceiling equal to that of first-round picks? I would say probably not as high as a lot of them.

Also, as long as our prospects are of greater quality, they are going to be replacing players who we pick in the main draft, so a lesser quality of players picked that deep in the draft isn't that big of an issue.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I think the only negative is it prevents people from making trades during the draft, say when they see that X is available later than they thought and they want to move up to nab him. Also it's harder to set up your draft order if you have a lot of picks and you want to pick positionally. It can be nearly impossible, actually, to cover all possible scenarios.

I think that if we:
  • have a reasonable pick window and enforce it
  • institute a rule where as soon as that window expires, the subsequent picks are free to be made (ie the punishment is a reduction of available players)
  • all are willing to actually check the various resources available to determine if we're up (as opposed to relying on noticing your name in the thread title)

we should have lots of time to complete both drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad