Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #9 (2023 Version)

Who do you rank as the Penguins #9 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Vote for who you think is the #9 Penguins prospect.

And post who you think should be added.

#1 - Yager - Votes: 56 - 71.8%
#2 - Pickering - Votes: 49 - 86.0%
#3 - Blomqvist - Votes: 33 - 63.5%
#4 - Puustinen - Votes: 43 - 50.6% *** I asked people to change their vote to avoid a runoff poll
#5 - Poulin - Votes: 31 - 63.3%
#6 - Murashov - Votes: 27 - 62.8%
#7 - Broz - Votes: 33 - 68.8%
#8 - Pieniniemi - Votes: 17 - 37.8%

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ilyin piques my interest.. being a semi-regular on a decent KHL team at that age is accomplishment enough. And perhaps maybe he’d have gone a round higher if he weren’t Russian.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Pensburgh 25 under 25 features Taylor Gauthier today, and it features some nice quotes from JD Forrest. Admittedly, JD Forrest is about the most optimistic quote I've ever heard and I'm getting skeptical, but it's making me revisit the question of how good I think Gauthier can be.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pensburgh 25 under 25 features Taylor Gauthier today, and it features some nice quotes from JD Forrest. Admittedly, JD Forrest is about the most optimistic quote I've ever heard and I'm getting skeptical, but it's making me revisit the question of how good I think Gauthier can be.
I saw that too…I think he has a better shot at becoming something than the other guys people on this Board are voting for, so I voted for him at #8 and #9…

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He was my only other consideration in this. Because as a goalie, if he makes it, that’s an important position to be at. Even a backup probably has more impact over the course of a season than an 11th or 12th forward.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I saw that too…I think he has a better shot at becoming something than the other guys people on this Board are voting for, so I voted for him at #8 and #9…

In a lot of ways he seems the obvious choice. He is the closest to the NHL out of anyone on that list bar Gruden.

The problem is judging goalie ceilings is hard and I am cautious after D'Orio posted good stats and had good things said about him and just squitted out of existence. Gauthier does have consistency on hsi side though which D'Orio didn't.

Reactions: Andy99

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018

List Randomizer​

There were 11 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
  1. Ansons
  2. Tankov
  3. Andonovski
  4. Ilyin
  5. Plante
  6. Gruden
  7. Gauthier
  8. Jarventie
  9. Gloven
  10. Belliveau
  11. Svejkovsky
Guess I'm Ansons #1 fan :D

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I was split between Tankov and Gauthier here. He didn't impress in the ECHL but he was pretty good in the AHL last year. I'm curious for where they plan on him playing next year, my guess is that they run with Hellberg, Blomqvist and Gauthier in the AHL and have Sparks as the ECHL starter.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was split between Tankov and Gauthier here. He didn't impress in the ECHL but he was pretty good in the AHL last year. I'm curious for where they plan on him playing next year, my guess is that they run with Hellberg, Blomqvist and Gauthier in the AHL and have Sparks as the ECHL starter.

ECHL goalie numbers are... not the best to base performance on.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Are people selecting Belliveau because they think he is Bellerive?

I stated this in one of the earlier threads, but my reason for voting for him is this:
I think he has the potential to be a Dumoulin-like type of defender - not one who scores a lot, but is a solid partner for an offensive defenseman. Someone who can make a good pass out of the zone, but isn't likely to score a ton of goals.
While that isn't particularly flashy, and maybe isn't as high of a ceiling as other prospects, I think he's more likely to achieve his ceiling, so I've been voting for him at this point in time. That said, I don't really see him as being head and shoulders above the group of around 4-6 prospects in this general part of the ranking, but I've got to pick one of them, so I picked him :)

Reactions: Gurglesons

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I stated this in one of the earlier threads, but my reason for voting for him is this:
I think he has the potential to be a Dumoulin-like type of defender - not one who scores a lot, but is a solid partner for an offensive defenseman. Someone who can make a good pass out of the zone, but isn't likely to score a ton of goals.
While that isn't particularly flashy, and maybe isn't as high of a ceiling as other prospects, I think he's more likely to achieve his ceiling, so I've been voting for him at this point in time. That said, I don't really see him as being head and shoulders above the group of around 4-6 prospects in this general part of the ranking, but I've got to pick one of them, so I picked him :)

I don't think this is who Belliveau is.

For one thing, I think he's got a bit more of a developed offensive skillset than Dumo. An easy comp for Belliveau is Pierre-Olivier Joseph, and from an eyeballing, I think Belliveau's ES production was better than POJ at D+2. His goal production definitely was. Wheeler said he had above average offensive skill in his January write up. I think Belliveau could be interesting offensively, although not in a major way.

I also think hoping for a Dumo-like guy from a guy who Wheeler said "His backward skating and reads off of the puck can get him into trouble defending the rush" is a bit, well, hopeful.

Now, Wheeler does also say "he has become a real play-driver offensively in Gatineau and his underlying defensive results have been really strong this season" and that's a brighter view on him than previously had.

But.

I look at Belliveau and my hope is... well, POJ. A useful two way bottom pairing dman who drives possession but doesn't feel utterly trustworthy.

But with a lot less error for room in development due to not being a plus skater.

So... I dunno, I wouldn't say he is a bad vote here. But, that's my read at least.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't see Belliveau as a Dumo or POJ comp. :laugh:

"See" as in what I'm reading about him. I tried watching him in some Q hockey but French to my ears is just grating. Oddly enough I had no issues with Russian (Tankov & Murashov & But) and I thought it would be the opposite.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I would be surprised if Belliveau even becomes an AHL regular. Generally the CHL overagers don't amount to much.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would be surprised if Belliveau even becomes an AHL regular. Generally the CHL overagers don't amount to much.

Not an overager - he just completed D+2. Early birthday and he's played in the CHL a ton, but not an overager iirc.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I thought overagers were guys playing CHL in their D+3 seasons? Or is there a different definition I'm unaware of?

I’m not sure of exact distinction but he’s a weird one. An ‘02 but only played 4 seasons in the CHL.

In any case, I’d probably go Collins if was going to pick a late round CHL D here.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Belliveau's birthday is in November '02. For a player to be eligible for the draft, they have to be 18 by September 15th of that year. Belliveau was still 17 in 2020, so he wasn't even draft-eligible until 2021, which is the year he was drafted.
Ergo, not an overager - he was drafted the first year he was eligble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad