Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #8 (2023 Version)

Who do you rank as the Penguins #8 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Honestly, I find hard-ranking prospects to be rather difficult. Plus, the difference between two rankings doesn't necessarily tell you much. For that reason, I really like the "Prospect Pyramid" concept, where you have tiers where you expect to have fewer prospects in higher tiers. While you can certainly still argue about whether a particular player belongs in one tier or another, you don't need to argue over whether a particular prospect is the 18th or 19th overall best prospect...

In the case of the Pens, it can also really hammer home how barren our system is, since the top tier is empty (and depending on how you make your other tiers, possibly the second one as well).

But these lists are a tradition here, so I participate anyway :laugh:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly, I find hard-ranking prospects to be rather difficult. Plus, the difference between two rankings doesn't necessarily tell you much. For that reason, I really like the "Prospect Pyramid" concept, where you have tiers where you expect to have fewer prospects in higher tiers. While you can certainly still argue about whether a particular player belongs in one tier or another, you don't need to argue over whether a particular prospect is the 18th or 19th overall best prospect...

In the case of the Pens, it can also really hammer home how barren our system is, since the top tier is empty (and depending on how you make your other tiers, possibly the second one as well).

But these lists are a tradition here, so I participate anyway :laugh:
Here's my prospect pyramid.

At the top nobody

Step below Pickering and Yager

Step below Puus Poulin Blom

Main floor - nobody.

Below the pyramid - the rest

Reactions: Freeptop

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think my prospect pyramid would be...

Capstone - Nil pois

Second Tier - Pickering, Yager, Blomqvist (high pedigree prospects who've yet to do anything majorly wrong but aren't projecting like mad)

Third Tier - Poulin, Broz, Murashov, Puustinen (players with high end traits and at points performance but who have too many uncertainties to be higher)

Fourth Tier - Pieniniemi, Ilyin, Tankov, Svejkovsky, Plante, Ansons, Belliveau, Jarventie, Hallander (guys with high end traits but the likelihood is it's not working)

Fifth Tier - Andonovski, Glover, Collins, Foster, Devlin, St Ivany (some interesting traits but low likelihood for low returns)

Sixth Tier - Frasca, Lindberg, Hamaliuk, Laatsch, Kangas, Nickl (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter)

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's my prospect pyramid.

At the top nobody

Step below Pickering and Yager

Step below Puus Poulin Blom

Main floor - nobody.

Below the pyramid - the rest

The tiers I originally saw were:
1. Elites
2. Top 6 Forwards / Top 4 Defense / Starting Goalie
3. Top 9 Forwards / Top 6 Defense / Fringe Starting Goalie
4. Fourth Line Forwards / 7th Defensemen / Backup Goalie
5. 13th-14th Forward / AHL Defensemen / Third Goalie/AHL Starter
6. Everyone Else

Pens definitely have nobody in that first tier. I'd put the first few from our list here in that second tier, though.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
1. Elites
6. Everyone Else

Pens definitely have nobody in that first tier. I'd put the first few from our list here in that second tier, though.
Would Benson have been in 'elite'?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pieniniemi the front runner but I'll let this thread go on til tomorrow.

1. Elites
6. Everyone Else

My thoughts:

1st (Elite) Tier: no one

2nd Tier: Yager, Pickering, Blomqvist, Murashov

3rd Tier: Gauthier, Broz, Jarventie, Puustinen, Svejkovsky, Ilyin, Tankov, Hallander, Belliveau, Collins, Pieniniemi, Poulin

4th Tier: Gruden, Lindberg

5th and 6th Tier: whatever

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Would Benson have been in 'elite'?
For me? No. "Elite" are the sure-fire can't-miss will definitely be a star kind of prospects. So most teams likely don't have anyone in that tier, to be honest.
I originally got the prospect pyramid from Steve Dangle, around the time the Leafs had drafted Matthews, so he had Matthews alone in the top tier at that time, just to give an example.

If I were making the tiers, I would consider splitting up the top two tiers into three:
1. Generational (most teams will have this empty, but would be useful for comparing across teams)
2. Potential Future All-Star
3. Top-6F/Top-4D/Top1-G

Reactions: steelcityassault

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pieniniemi the front runner but I'll let this thread go on til tomorrow.

My thoughts:

1st (Elite) Tier: no one

2nd Tier: Yager, Pickering, Blomqvist, Murashov

3rd Tier: Gauthier, Broz, Jarventie, Puustinen, Svejkovsky, Ilyin, Tankov, Hallander, Belliveau, Collins, Pieniniemi, Poulin

4th Tier: Gruden, Lindberg

5th and 6th Tier: whatever
I honestly think all of our prospects are in the 4th-6th tiers lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad