Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Airola

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Looks like I’m stuck on Clang until he goes :laugh:

just feel like he and Blomqvist are pretty much the same.

After him I’d say my next tier will be

Puustinen
Lee
Bjorkqvist
Svejkovsky

In some order,

then Bellerive, Gruden, Reilly, Caulfield.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Bjork potentially could be better, but Gruden to me is the same reason we voted O'Connor so high. Chances of him being an NHLer is a "more sure thing" than most of these other prospects at this point.

I guess with Gruden I don't know him well so I might be off-base, but I don't see the offensive potential that makes me pretty high on O'Connor. Hell, looking at Pronman's write up and the "don't see many attributes that are NHL level".

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I guess with Gruden I don't know him well so I might be off-base, but I don't see the offensive potential that makes me pretty high on O'Connor. Hell, looking at Pronman's write up and the "don't see many attributes that are NHL level".

Pronman also said he was going to easily carve out a NHL career a little while ago too.

Pronman on Jonathan Gruden from his draft rankings' comment thread: "Not a ton of upside there for me. Nice two-way forward, can make some plays. He'll be a decent pro just not worth the investment for me." Sounds like he's just not someone that Pronman is super into.

Btw. Jesse said this about him "With Gruden, the Penguins get a forward who is much further along in his development than some of their other prospects. With his first professional year of hockey on the horizon, Gruden could be a bottom-six option sooner rather than later."

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Went with Gruden again.

Was ranked fairly well in Ottawa's pretty stacked prospect pool, from what I remember. Should easily rank top 10 in the Pens pool based on that alone. Had a decent season in college and then another decent season in the OHL. I see him being another pre-19/20 season Rust.

Puustinen certainly has higher upside, but he's also likelier to bust.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Went with Gruden again.

Was ranked fairly well in Ottawa's pretty stacked prospect pool, from what I remember. Should easily rank top 10 in the Pens pool based on that alone. Had a decent season in college and then another decent season in the OHL. I see him being another pre-19/20 season Rust.

Puustinen certainly has higher upside, but he's also likelier to bust.

Pre draft: He was ranked #23 out of 28 possible players... He would definitely drop out of their top-25 post draft

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #26

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pre draft: He was ranked #23 out of 28 possible players... He would definitely drop out of their top-25 post draft

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #26

Thanks.

Still likely better than the previous top 10 of the Pens prospects. :laugh:

[edit]

For clarification sake, I recalled him being 16 on the Sens prospects list. Could've been a different year, could've been me misremembering.

[/edit]

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaves34

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think Gruden could maybe become Zach Hyman in a perfect world. He’s said as much himself and his dad is an NHL coach. He understands his skill set and how he’d potientially carve out a career in the league. That might be his best trait honestly.

It’s just a matter of how you perceive his upside. If the best case is Zach Hyman, and the most likely case is a AAAA player... tough for me to put him too high.

Not that I think anyone is out to lunch. Our pool is so bad that after Poulin and POJ I actually think you could make an argument for whoever you wanted and not have it be completely out of the realm of possibility.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think Gruden could maybe become Zach Hyman in a perfect world. He’s said as much himself and his dad is an NHL coach. He understands his skill set and how he’d potientially carve out a career in the league. That might be his best trait honestly.

It’s just a matter of how you perceive his upside. If the best case is Zach Hyman, and the most likely case is a AAAA player... tough for me to put him too high.

Not that I think anyone is out to lunch. Our pool is so bad that after Poulin and POJ I actually think you could make an argument for whoever you wanted and not have it be completely out of the realm of possibility.

Hyman still a good target to hit if he can become that (23 goals, 25 assists, 48 points per 82 last 3 seasons). Especially given our prospect pool.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

From the little I’ve seen And read of him, he reminded me of a poor man’s Kunitz.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
He's always been a decent prospect, but he needs to prove he can play a healthy season of hockey.

Running these polls while some prospects are having a season/games should be interesting. They're usually run just after the draft and in summer.

Like, Bjorkqvist has definitely jumped up in my rankings because of his start in Finland.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re Bjork - I've had doubts on his ceiling. His productivity here helps.

Re Gruden - Well, that's pretty useless of Pronman. And I think his love of high upside/failure to grade cerebral players well enough (mainly dmen but still) is known. So maybe he should be here. I guess I'd have Clang and Puustinen first due to the upsides, then Lee because he sounds the closest, but after that, Gruden seems to be in the same general group as Bjorkqvist/Bellerive/what not.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
He's always been a decent prospect, but he needs to prove he can play a healthy season of hockey.

That seems unfair as we don't hold this standard with our NHL squad. He just needs to put in 50ish games a year like the rest of our roster. Iniury prone is a plus in my eyes, a true Penguin.

Anyways we need MOAR BJORK!

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad