Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #7 (2023 Version)

Who do you rank as the Penguins #7 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Vote for who you think is the #7 Penguins prospect.

And post who you think should be added.

#1 - Yager - Votes: 56 - 71.8%
#2 - Pickering - Votes: 49 - 86.0%
#3 - Blomqvist - Votes: 33 - 63.5%
#4 - Puustinen - Votes: 43 - 50.6% *** I asked people to change their vote to avoid a runoff poll
#5 - Poulin - Votes: 31 - 63.3%
#6 - Murashov - Votes: 27 - 62.8%

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
After Broz it feels wide open, I have no idea who to go with next

Aka the fun part

Or the who are these people part

Anyway, yeah, Broz. Guy has tools and his production is going in the right direction. After this... I'm half-thinking about Ilyin. I like smart players and I like his production.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I went with Gauthier. His rookie season AHL stats are pretty decent for how poo WBS was. Plus he had good stats in the WHL.

Broz's freshman season was ass and his sophomore season was an improvement but still wasn't good. The majority of his points (15) last season came against lesser teams (Lindenwood and Miami).

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I went with Gauthier. His rookie season AHL stats are pretty decent for how poo WBS was. Plus he had good stats in the WHL.

Broz's freshman season was ass and his sophomore season was an improvement but still wasn't good. The majority of his points (15) last season came against lesser teams (Lindenwood and Miami).
Gonna be tough sleddin' for playing time this season. Probably gonna be ECHL with Hellberg and Blomqvist in the A.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is where it starts to get tough because there is so much "blah" that any of them could be next for a number of reasons.

Broz showed a glimmer of light and is a 2nd round pick but honestly, he's been flat out disappointing since the day we drafted him.

Belliveau shows promise but only in the WHL. 5th round pick.

Pieniniemi is a recent 3rd round pick that looks promising but we know next to nothing.

Gruden actually saw NHL ice time but he's 23 and his AHL numbers are 'meh' at best. That said, probably more likely to make the NHL than Broz so...

So yeah, this is tough. We are due for a good "rags to riches" story, so maybe that can be Hamaliuk.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is the Dubas era now. Anything is possible.

You'll be able to tap a button on your phone and it'll teleport a pile of rice to right in front of you before the Pens stop being injury prone central!

That said. Will still be tough sledding for him to get a bunch of game time in the AHL. But. I'm not all that bothered about a goalie getting a lot of ECHL minutes. He can still progress like that.

Although I feel like the team getting Sparks as well to add to that three goalie tandem isn't the biggest vote of faith in Gauthier possible.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I went with Belliveau because the way he plays makes me think he could potentially become a solid Dumoulin-like player (younger Dumo, not washed-up Dumo). Not flashy, won't get the most points, but would compliment an offensive defenseman well, while still being able to make the first pass out of the zone, or even skate it out himself.

Not exciting, but solid.

Other prospects have higher ceilings, but I think Belliveau is more likely to reach his.

That said, you could pretty much make a case for about half a dozen players to all slot in around the same tier, here.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think the goalie depth, in order, is:

Jarry
Nedeljkovic
Hellberg
Blomqvist
Sparks
Gauthier

With the twosomes repping the NHL, AHL, and ECHL respectively. Until injuries or performance issues. AHL and ECHL goalies should be splitting the starts.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think the goalie depth, in order, is:

Jarry
Nedeljkovic
Hellberg
Blomqvist
Sparks
Gauthier

With the twosomes repping the NHL, AHL, and ECHL respectively. Until injuries or performance issues. AHL and ECHL goalies should be splitting the starts.

Technically, Sparks doesn't count as goaltending depth for the NHL Pens, since he's on an AHL-only contract. Any team in the NHL can still sign him to an NHL deal, Pittsburgh doesn't have any exclusive rights to him.

In fact, this happened several years ago (07/08 season) - the Flyers had Brian Boucher on an AHL-only deal. Partway into the season, the Sharks suddenly needed another goalie, so they just signed Boucher to an NHL deal, yanking him right out of the Phantoms' roster and over to San Jose.

It doesn't happen too often, but it does illustrate that until someone is on an NHL contract, they aren't part of that team. Sparks would need to sign an NHL contract before he even could be called up to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Same for Tommy Nappier, who is still under an AHL-only contract, for that matter.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Technically, Sparks doesn't count as goaltending depth for the NHL Pens, since he's on an AHL-only contract. Any team in the NHL can still sign him to an NHL deal, Pittsburgh doesn't have any exclusive rights to him.

In fact, this happened several years ago (07/08 season) - the Flyers had Brian Boucher on an AHL-only deal. Partway into the season, the Sharks suddenly needed another goalie, so they just signed Boucher to an NHL deal, yanking him right out of the Phantoms' roster and over to San Jose.

It doesn't happen too often, but it does illustrate that until someone is on an NHL contract, they aren't part of that team. Sparks would need to sign an NHL contract before he even could be called up to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Same for Tommy Nappier, who is still under an AHL-only contract, for that matter.

Yes, I'm aware about AHL-only deals and depth. Just didn't have the time to type it out.

Did not know about Boucher. And I could not remember if Nappier's deal was still on.

Edit: Actually, Nappier's deal is done:

Needs a new one somewhere but I don't think it'll be with WBS/Wheeling.

Last edited:

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Not gonna act like a thread police or anything but this can probably be closed and moved on to #8 at this point :)

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, I'm aware about AHL-only deals and depth. Just didn't have the time to type it out.

Did not know about Boucher. And I could not remember if Nappier's deal was still on.

Edit: Actually, Nappier's deal is done:

Needs a new one somewhere but I don't think it'll be with WBS/Wheeling.
Oh, huh, that's weird. This said he was still signed through next year:

I guess they let him burn the first year of that contract in the last month of the 20/21 season? In which case whomever wrote the player tracker article just messed up?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Oh, huh, that's weird. This said he was still signed through next year:

I guess they let him burn the first year of that contract in the last month of the 20/21 season? In which case whomever wrote the player tracker article just messed up?

Nick Hart has confirmed:

Reactions: Freeptop and Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad