Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #10 (2023 Version)

Who do you rank as the Penguins #9 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Vote for who you think is the #10 Penguins prospect.

And post who you think should be added.

#1 - Yager - Votes: 56 - 71.8%
#2 - Pickering - Votes: 49 - 86.0%
#3 - Blomqvist - Votes: 33 - 63.5%
#4 - Puustinen - Votes: 43 - 50.6% *** I asked people to change their vote to avoid a runoff poll
#5 - Poulin - Votes: 31 - 63.3%
#6 - Murashov - Votes: 27 - 62.8%
#7 - Broz - Votes: 33 - 68.8%
#8 - Pieniniemi - Votes: 17 - 37.8%
#9 - Belliveau - Votes: 13 - 37.1%

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Also, what is your top 10 list?

Mine:

1. Yager
2. Pickering
3. Blomqvist
4. [Hallander] Murashov
5. Gauthier
6. Puustinen
7. Poulin
8. Ilyin
9. Svejkovsky
10. Belliveau [Lindberg]

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Moving off Jarventie because it’s pointless in exchange for Gauthier.

Can we add Foster? Would vote for him over some already listed guys.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Ilyin might be a steal tbh. Things would have to work out perfectly but he's pretty comparable to the kid the Coyotes took at 12OA. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No. But is way better.

To add: goal scorer versus playmaker too.

Give me the playmaker over the goal scorer.

For one thing, I think the NHL overvalues goalscoring vs playmaking

But more critically, for a prospect, the goal scorer is screwed if their goalscoring doesn't translate, which is frequently the case. The playmaker's skillset - vision, passing, stickhandling - are more translateable, and can be converted to other uses if not quite good enough.

Or at least, that's my gut instinct.

So I went looking for some data on it and behold - a data analysis of playmakers vs goal scorers

The tl:dr is that if the scouting report says they're a playmaker, they're far more likely to hit at the NHL level than if they're a goal scorer.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Give me the playmaker over the goal scorer.

For one thing, I think the NHL overvalues goalscoring vs playmaking

But more critically, for a prospect, the goal scorer is screwed if their goalscoring doesn't translate, which is frequently the case. The playmaker's skillset - vision, passing, stickhandling - are more translateable, and can be converted to other uses if not quite good enough.

Or at least, that's my gut instinct.

So I went looking for some data on it and behold - a data analysis of playmakers vs goal scorers

The tl:dr is that if the scouting report says they're a playmaker, they're far more likely to hit at the NHL level than if they're a goal scorer.

Good find.

My post was trying to say that But and Ilyin aren't comparable. However I didn't convey that all too well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Good find.

My post was trying to say that But and Ilyin aren't comparable. However I didn't convey that all too well.

As players? No.

In terms of raw scoring? Yeah.

Given that simply tracking raw scoring has outperformed several NHL teams, I don't mind using it as a comparable for young players, particularly when dealing with leagues with small sample size.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
As players? No.

In terms of raw scoring? Yeah.

Given that simply tracking raw scoring has outperformed several NHL teams, I don't mind using it as a comparable for young players, particularly when dealing with leagues with small sample size.

Kid has an encouraging profile that I want to like but gotta admit it looks like he’s skating in sand a lot in his highlight reel.

Russian hockey isn’t hard to catch, I think the junior league is on YouTube so maybe I’ll try to see him this year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kid has an encouraging profile that I want to like but gotta admit it looks like he’s skating in sand a lot in his highlight reel.

Russian hockey isn’t hard to catch, I think the junior league is on YouTube so maybe I’ll try to see him this year.

In one aspect I'm down on him as reading the profiles and looking at the two or so video clips available says he basically has no high end traits whatsoever, and is where he is due to being very advanced mentally. Which is a real "so where's the advancement" question.

But I'm a sucker for high IQ players, so I'll believe in his ability to work and learn and figure out what he needs to do. Which makes up a large proportion of the guys who outperform what they were thought to be imo.

I wonder how maxed out his frame is. 6' and 181 lbs doesn't sound like we're expecting mad gains, but if he's a guy who can find some added explosiveness and get it to translate to his skating and shot, that'd help his chances a lot.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
But I'm a sucker for high IQ players

I think Foster really fits that profile for you then.

“Foster didn't get a ton of ice time this year for Ottawa, but he made the best of it. It's extremely obvious that Foster is a highly intelligent player. He clearly needs to get stronger to be an impact player, but he managed to be a strong supporting piece this year because of his quick thinking and strong off puck positioning. I could actually see an NHL team really liking Foster if they believe that he has a long runway to improve his athleticism/quickness. He's the kind of guy who could get drafted late and then explodes in future years and looks like a steal because he was hidden on a deep team. But, I could also see Foster being just a good junior player and nothing more because he lacks a true standout quality that could separate him from others. “

Reactions: Peat

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
@tkeagle @Freeptop @Gurglesons @deathtouchtrample please consider changing your vote to one of Gauthier, Gruden, Ilyin, or Tankov.

Done. Switched to Tankov. I have no observations of Ilyin or Tankov to go off of, I don't have any particular memories or notes on Gauthier, and while I'm not down on Gruden, I also don't see him as having much potential to play above the bottom six. I'm just going with the crowd's view of Tankov's potential, and perhaps a bit of wishful thinking, as a result!
(I figure there's a better than even chance that gets better results than my own observations, anyway... :laugh: : )

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Foster really fits that profile for you then.

“Foster didn't get a ton of ice time this year for Ottawa, but he made the best of it. It's extremely obvious that Foster is a highly intelligent player. He clearly needs to get stronger to be an impact player, but he managed to be a strong supporting piece this year because of his quick thinking and strong off puck positioning. I could actually see an NHL team really liking Foster if they believe that he has a long runway to improve his athleticism/quickness. He's the kind of guy who could get drafted late and then explodes in future years and looks like a steal because he was hidden on a deep team. But, I could also see Foster being just a good junior player and nothing more because he lacks a true standout quality that could separate him from others. “

Yeah, I like him too. I like Ilyin more though as the production is already there.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad