Prospect Info: Prospect Rankings #5

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This is more about liking Lockwood than disliking Gaudette, who I'd have ranked next. Just as I liked Tkachuk and had him as a top 7-8 pick in the draft.

Lockwood is just a really easy projection for me. His skating/motor/physical game/puck skills all should translate into a Hansen-type middle-6 forward at the NHL level if his development continues well.

Gaudette less so. He's obviously talented and doing well at his current level, but I'm not sure what he projects as and not sure how his production will translate. He might have a bit more upside than Lockwood but to me Lockwood is a much, much safer bet to become a quality NHL forward. And, again, is two years younger.

I agree to all those points on Lockwood but look at Gaudettes game it tranlsates VERY well to NHL: hes defensively elite he plays a full 200 foot game hes got high hockey IQ tons of energy and skill. Hes getting faster too somehow but its criticism is he needs to add weight as can get pushed off the puck. Thats not a huge problem for a 20 year old

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It's close between Gaudette and Brisebois but I went with Gaudette based on what he's done so far this year. He's trending very well. His excellent freshman season is also relevant here. It's not just about all the points he's putting up right now.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
You guys can keep crying about a poll vote winner more, it's pretty cute.

#6 coming later tonight.

It was actually pretty close, the difference probably could within the margin for error so its not a clear win tho it does represent the opinion on this forum. Its really the only one without a clear cut winner so far and we're likely to run into more of those later (like #6 maybe). I haven't decided who's #6 since it'll be comparing 3 different levels...

Its really a toss-up between Subban (AHL), Lockwood (NCAA), and Brisebois (Jr.). Subban is probably the closest to being NHL ready but i just don't see that being with us... so i'll probably go with one of the other 2. :laugh:

#5 was going to be a murder regardless so that's another reason there's no discussion about #5. There's a huge drop off after #5 regardless of it being Gaudette or Virtanen. There will likely be another landslide @ #8 (after the 3 player i mentioned).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It was actually pretty close, the difference probably could within the margin for error so its not a clear win tho it does represent the opinion on this forum. Its really the only one without a clear cut winner so far and we're likely to run into more of those later (like #6 maybe). I haven't decided who's #6 since it'll be comparing 3 different levels...

Its really a toss-up between Subban (AHL), Lockwood (NCAA), and Brisebois (Jr.). Subban is probably the closest to being NHL ready but i just don't see that being with us... so i'll probably go with one of the other 2. :laugh:

#5 was going to be a murder regardless so that's another reason there's no discussion about #5. There's a huge drop off after #5 regardless of it being Gaudette or Virtanen. There will likely be another landslide @ #8 (after the 3 player i mentioned).

Forget it this guy just doesnt get it

Imho

Boeser
Juolevi
Gaudette
Demko
Briesbois
Lockwood
Subban
Mckenzie
Neil
Olson
Zhukanov
Stuckel
Arbols

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is gaudette really this good or are the older players Sikura and Reese just making him look good? He's 3rd on the team in points.

I went with lockwood. He's second on his team in scoring as a rookie.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Is gaudette really this good or are the older players Sikura and Reese just making him look good? He's 3rd on the team in points.

I went with lockwood. He's second on his team in scoring as a rookie.

He also battled an injury this year. A lot more impressive than Guadette at the same age who was in Cedar Rapids of the USHL

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
After Boeser/OJ our prospects are just embarrassing for a team as bad as ours. Virtanen #4...yuck.

It's worth pointing out that this is being done in the middle of the season, meaning the prospect pool suffers a bit by losing graduated players and not receiving an influx of newly drafted players.

But yes, Virtanen at 4 is still horrible. How anyone can look at this prospect pool, compare it to some of the other teams around the league, and think that we're in a great position for the future is beyond me.

Anyway... Gaudette here, then Lockwood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad