Prospect Info: Prospect Rankings #5

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games. Therefore, Adam Clendening has now graduated with 60 NHL games under his belt and the full season on the NHL roster.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here. Hrivik falls under this exception.

canucks-brockboeser.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

1- Brock Boeser RW (64.04%) - Selected 23rd overall by Vancouver in 2015
"Some scouts are seeing quite a bit of Patrick Sharp in Mr. Boeser. He skates well and has a complete set of goal-scorer's tools. Doesn't give up his own end, and transitions to offense in such a quick and concrete way that he can catch the opposition off-guard."

542865302_std.jpg

2- Olli Juolevi D (82.89%) - Selected 5th overall by Vancouver in 2016
"A strong and balanced skater, he can rush the puck through the neutral zone with ease or backcheck with haste. Uses his size to his advantage, but knows his physical limits and plays within them. Instead of playing overly physical, he makes his presence felt by exhibiting his high-end playmaking ability and puck possession play."

2014-NHL-Draft-Upper-Deck-Vancouver-Canucks-Goalie-Pick-Thatcher-Demko-Father-Brenton-2.jpg

3- Thatcher Demko G (86.44%) - Selected 36th overall by Vancouver in 2014
"Thatcher Demko is an exceptionally athletic goaltender that can seem unbeatable on many occasions. His composure in net and modified butterfly style have scouts comparing him to Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators. He prepares himself well, positionally, for initial shots and the subsequent rebounds, and his cross-crease lateral movement is very good. As he tracks the puck, his stick always covers the five-hole and he makes himself big."

NPjZ_qYy_400x400.jpeg

4- Jake Virtanen RW (46.23%) - Selected 6th overall by Vancouver in 2014
"Jake Virtanen is an imposing power forward in the truest sense. Possesses a non-stopping motor and creates an abundance of on-ice energy when throwing his weight around and establishing his physical presence. Exhibits world-class skating ability, and can blow by defenders just as easily as he can go through them. Stands up for his teammates and never backs down from a challenge. Displays a wicked, NHL-level release that challenges goaltenders of all skill levels. Becoming a recognizable asset when playing a more defensive role as well."

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think it's fair you declared Virtanen the winner.

You need to do a one on one Virtanen vs Gaudette... you have 11 swing votes... and my money would be on Gaudette getting their votes.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

You need to do a one on one Virtanen vs Gaudette... you have 11 swing votes
... and my money would be on Gaudette getting their votes.

Agreed, not sure who would win though

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Its a message board prospect vote, its mainly a popularity poll anyway. The case could be made for Virtanen being the most nhl ready prospect as hes already played a year there. Also could make the case he is #5 or 6 due to him being such a dissapointment for his draft position

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009

You need to do a one on one Virtanen vs Gaudette... you have 11 swing votes... and my money would be on Gaudette getting their votes.

He was the winner of the poll once it closed. Move along unless you bring me some cheese with that wine.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I guess it's pretty fitting that he's the first prospect to win a poll with the minority vote. Heh heh...

He's trying to find his game and become better defensively. He's a prospect. They take time. Virt is playing against older men whereas Gaudette is playing against college aged men. Pretty easy to see why Gaud is putting up points.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
Voted Gaudette last time and this time, but can't deny if you were basing things on poential alone Jake should be #1. Not everyone reaches their potential though.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Last one should of been a run off what a JOKE virtanen gets 4 he doesnt deserve it hes terrible he shouldnt even be top 10 :facepalm:

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Last one should of been a run off what a JOKE virtanen gets 4 he doesnt deserve it hes terrible he shouldnt even be top 10 :facepalm:

Consider this a warning, anything after this will be directed towards the Moderators. The vote is done, Virtanen won. Bring me some cheese with your wine.

NEXT.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I've been all over the place with the last few.

Subban is still a longshot but I like that he's playing professionally and doing what he needs to do. But Lockwood and Gaudette are defensible choices.

After Boeser/OJ our prospects are just embarrassing for a team as bad as ours. Virtanen #4...yuck.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lockwood here for me.

2 years younger than Gaudette and has a much more projectable skillset.

Didn't bother writing out a post when i voted. But if i did, it would basically be this.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Didn't bother writing out a post when i voted. But if i did, it would basically be this.

Lockwood would probably be a top-40 pick if you redid the 2016 draft today. And that might be conservative. There are several players taken in the first round I'd rate him ahead of.

People are getting dazzled by Gaudette's numbers on an offensive juggernaut but Lockwood is the superior prospect by a fair amount in my eyes.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Lockwood would probably be a top-40 pick if you redid the 2016 draft today. And that might be conservative. There are several players taken in the first round I'd rate him ahead of.

People are getting dazzled by Gaudette's numbers on an offensive juggernaut but Lockwood is the superior prospect by a fair amount in my eyes.

As I recall, he was projected to go in the 4th but we took him early because our next pick wasn't until forever.

Normally that's not good when we do that but our US scouts seem to know what's up.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Not saying you're wrong, but your posts on Gaudette remind me a little bit of your posts on Tkachuk last year playing with Marner/Dvorak. Yes he is on a great line and the lowest producer on that line, but he's also the youngest and his numbers are still pretty impressive even if you adjust for that.

Edit: Before someone corrects me about Gaudette's linemates: I know.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not saying you're wrong, but your posts on Gaudette remind me a little bit of your posts on Tkachuk last year playing with Marner/Dvorak. Yes he is on a great line and the lowest producer on that line, but he's also the youngest and his numbers are still pretty impressive even if you adjust for that.

Edit: Before someone corrects me about Gaudette's linemates: I know.

This is more about liking Lockwood than disliking Gaudette, who I'd have ranked next. Just as I liked Tkachuk and had him as a top 7-8 pick in the draft.

Lockwood is just a really easy projection for me. His skating/motor/physical game/puck skills all should translate into a Hansen-type middle-6 forward at the NHL level if his development continues well.

Gaudette less so. He's obviously talented and doing well at his current level, but I'm not sure what he projects as and not sure how his production will translate. He might have a bit more upside than Lockwood but to me Lockwood is a much, much safer bet to become a quality NHL forward. And, again, is two years younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad