Prospect Info: Prospect Rankings #4

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I voted Gaudette. Shiny new toy over the struggling (tarnished?) first rounder that's been around for two years.

Basically, yeah. I had Virtanen pegged as a 2nd/3rd line tweener type at draft day and he's done nothing but flat-line if not trend downward ever since. With Gaudette, that 2nd/3rd line expectation seems reasonable for him now and he's clearly been on an upward trajectory since the draft. Easy choice.

edit: Obviously don't want to get too ahead of myself with regards to Gaudette seeing as he hasn't played pro yet, but it's hard not to be impressed with his post-draft career so far. It's just far more impressive than what Virtanen has done post-draft, IMO.

I will say though, I'm not quite sure where to fit Virtanen in on this list. Is it too soon to be dropping him past a guy like Lockwood who should still be considered a long-shot, but seems to be heading in the right direction?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm harder on Virtanen than anyone, but it's to the point where he's under-rated here now. He's a better prospect than Gaudette.

I'd have Virtanen-Lockwood-Gaudette as the 4-5-6 guys. Lockwood's game is extremely projectable.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Voted for Gaudette. Virtanen is going to start feeling the burn when younger players start cracking Utica and the Canucks

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I can't believe how far Virtanen has fallen. At the time of the pick he was the highest Vancouver pick since the Sedins in the 90's.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Why didn't Boeser get wrecked in his ranking for having such a drop off in production this season? Cutting him a break b/c of his injury, losing teammates? Lucky guy.

Based on ceiling and the potential to hit it:

1. Juolevi
2. Demko
3. Virtanen
4. Brisebois
5. Boeser
6. The rest

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Why didn't Boeser get wrecked in his ranking for having such a drop off in production this season? Cutting him a break b/c of his injury, losing teammates? Lucky guy.

Based on ceiling and the potential to hit it:

1. Juolevi
2. Demko
3. Virtanen
4. Brisebois
5. Boeser
6. The rest

Just curious what ceiling you see in Virtanen, and also; what do you realistically think he will become?

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Nothing has changed for me... will be a 20g-30a type player that flirts with 30g around his 25-27 yr old seasons...

Really? The guy is hardly a 0.3 ppg player at the AHL. I would be very impressed if he was capable of putting up 50 - 60 points in the NHL in a season.

I realistically see him as a 4th line NHL player with potential to be a 3rd liner at times putting up 15-30 points a season at best.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
How people vote Virtanen here is beyond me. This is bad folks

the Obvious answer is Gaudette AINEC should of gone 3rd

1.56 ppg in 2nd year of NCAA in a GOOD division. Most pts in the league for his age 7th overall and getting better week by week according to Craig Button. Unfrickin real. Meanwhile Virtanen has 3 points in 70 AHL games. Yeah watch out league :shakehead

ya i feel like draft status plays a big role there, lots of canucks fans arent willing to give up on JV just yet, and rightfully so, hes still very young and raw but i doubt he amounts to anything special tho

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
ya i feel like draft status plays a big role there, lots of canucks fans arent willing to give up on JV just yet, and rightfully so, hes still very young and raw but i doubt he amounts to anything special tho

Agreed, if he was a 4th round pick people would say he is doing as expected and could potentially carve out a minor impact in the NHL.

However, being the highest drafted player that Vancouver has drafted since the Sedin's back in the 90's.... and being a local hometown kid. People really bought into what management was selling with Virtanen being a home-town saviour.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Nothing has changed for me... will be a 20g-30a type player that flirts with 30g around his 25-27 yr old seasons...

So Boeser drops because his production in the NCAA has dropped yet Virtanen who hasn't done **** stays at 3? Great logic.

Also Brisebois over Boeser? Lmao seriously....

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So Boeser drops because his production in the NCAA has dropped yet Virtanen who hasn't done **** stays at 3? Great logic.

Also Brisebois over Boeser? Lmao seriously....

Just my opinion based on MY experience as a hockey watcher guy.

Not willing buy stock in Boeser till I can confirm he can skate with the elite. Been pretty consistent with my apprehension about him.
Failed pretty significantly the first time i watched him vs the best in the world in his age group. Ultra disappointed he missed this World Jr's... Do not not like what i see in his stride when watch his clips. Basically you watch him skate and your reaction is "NHL players don't skate like that"...
I didn't drop him.. he was never high with me to begin with. Altho i was pretty pumped and optimistic to see him at the tourney after his season last yr.
Currently a PPG sophomore.
Yet you vote him #1. Why?

Brisebois is a solid solid dman. He's a virtual lock to be a NHLer for me... He's got the tools and character... and if his IQ transfers and he can handle the decision making at this level... he's tooled up to be our next baby Tanev.

Pulling out a 'lmao' off in an opinion based prospects thread is one of the funnier things you can do tho.. so good job there.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Just my opinion based on MY experience as a hockey watcher guy.

Not willing buy stock in Boeser till I can confirm he can skate with the elite. Been pretty consistent with my apprehension about him.
Failed pretty significantly the first time i watched him vs the best in the world in his age group. Ultra disappointed he missed this World Jr's... Do not not like what i see in his stride when watch his clips. Basically you watch him skate and your reaction is "NHL players don't skate like that"...
I didn't drop him.. he was never high with me to begin with. Altho i was pretty pumped and optimistic to see him at the tourney after his season last yr.
Currently a PPG sophomore.
Yet you vote him #1. Why?

Brisebois is a solid solid dman. He's a virtual lock to be a NHLer for me... He's got the tools and character... and if his IQ transfers and he can handle the decision making at this level... he's tooled up to be our next baby Tanev.

Pulling out a 'lmao' off in an opinion based prospects thread is one of the funnier things you can do tho.. so good job there.

I voted him #1 because he was the best player on UND last season as a freshman. He reminds me of Vanek. Not a great skater but I think he can adapt.

I do think he is more of a complementary player (as others have noted), but I think if you but a skilled centre on his line (I'm begging for Hischier) he's gonna have the open space to produce.

Also I don't see how Brisebois is a lock to be a NHLer.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I voted him #1 because he was the best player on UND last season as a freshman. He reminds me of Vanek. Not a great skater but I think he can adapt.

I do think he is more of a complementary player (as others have noted), but I think if you but a skilled centre on his line (I'm begging for Hischier) he's gonna have the open space to produce.

Also I don't see how Brisebois is a lock to be a NHLer.

What's your take on his season this year? and the feedback of his performance?
No effect?

Kinda hypocritical for you to lambaste me for staying the course on Virtanen despite his camp this season, yet you do the same thing and gloss over Boeser's current season.

The point.. we all have our own opinions.
I'm not gonna lmao at you for not seeing Brisebois as a virtual NHL lock. It's as simple as Individual differences in what attributes each of us value and to what degree.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I voted Virtanen despite how much as he frustrates me. Gaudette is having a great year, but Jake's just 21 and there's hope for him to turn it around still.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I voted Gaudette. Trajectory is important, and Virtanen is a question mark now.

That said I'd have Virtanen as 5th as I still have faith that he can be a 20 goal guy.

I'd have Lockwood next and then Brisebois. After that I'd be surprised if anyone gets a sniff in the NHL.

In terms of darkhorses, I think McKenzie could be a 4th liner or slightly better. Abols could surprise as well. Longshots though.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I voted Gaudette. Trajectory is important, and Virtanen is a question mark now.

That said I'd have Virtanen as 5th as I still have faith that he can be a 20 goal guy.

My thoughts, more or less. I think at this time both still likely project as middle-lineup NHLers.

Gaudette is trending upward, while Virtanen is not. Right now you've got to give it to Gaudette, and see what it looks like come summer.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
His attributes.
Just turned 20 prior to the season. I'm very confident that he'll figure it out.

What attributes though? Could you elaborate. I just don't understand it and would like clarification.

The guy is 21 and is struggling to put up a 0.3 PPG in the AHL. How on earth is he going to put up 50-60 points in the NHL? That is 1st or 2nd line numbers. The kid hasn't had any improvement since his draft year, but rather has regressed. Can you explain that, other than just saying "his attributes"?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What attributes though? Could you elaborate. I just don't understand it and would like clarification.

The guy is 21 and is struggling to put up a 0.3 PPG in the AHL. How on earth is he going to put up 50-60 points in the NHL? That is 1st or 2nd line numbers. The kid hasn't had any improvement since his draft year, but rather has regressed. Can you explain that, other than just saying "his attributes"?

His speed.
His shot.
His strength.
His IQ.
His defensive awareness.
Where he is on his develop curve.
His hitting ability.

Basically I believe everything he flashed in the 20 post tourney games last season will be his consistent level of play... at minimum.

He didn't focus enough on conditioning this summer. He'll figure that out.
He got hurt in his first preseason game which **** up his preseason and start to the season.
He's where he should be right now and I think he'll figure it all out.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
His attributes.
Just turned 20 prior to the season. I'm very confident that he'll figure it out.

If you're using age... Gaudette is actually slightly younger. He's producing at a rate rarely seen by Sophomore players in NCAA. Virtanen on the other hand seems stuck on the 3rd line in Utica and remember he only has 1 more year of development time (he needs to clear waivers after next season... which he won't). So even if he's only 20, he only has till he's 22 to make the team where as Gaudette has quite a bit more time (depends on when he signs but at least 2 more years than Virtanen).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad