• Caulfield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phillips

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But seriously, Legare's player type who has really loud scoring prowess but seems to struggle at processing the game and playing away from the puck...I'll believe it when I see it succeeding at the NHL level again. Or I need someone who has put up much gaudier numbers with it than Legare has so far.

I have a hunch, based on nothing, that Legare doesn't finish the season as a Penguins farmhand though. Pretty obvious prospect trade candidate especially if the FO intends to extend Rust.

I don't think Legare has a future here if he's nothing but scoring, but I'm not going to argue too much with anyone who believes in Legare's capacity to learn to be that + scoring though.

Also, even if they extend Rust and Kapanen, I think there's still an obvious top 9 RW vacancy unless Heinen works out while fitting our budget, which seems a tricky needle to thread. Also think it's a fairly tricky needle of a scenario where Legare is enough of an NHL prospect to have trade value but Hextall is okay with letting him go at the deadline (assuming he even moves then) when he's looking for affordable physicality with skill.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's Zohorna for me. Don't get me wrong, I like Legare, however Radim's floor and ceiling are both higher IMO.

After these two I start with the goalies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is Zahorna really a prospect? Dude is 25.

Petterson and Marino are younger and Kapanen is like 3 months older.........at a certain point you have to transition from a prospect to something else.

He's only been the property of an NHL team for like 6 months, so I guess that still stands. He's not really all that much older than an undrafted NCAA guy either.

Incidentally, I wonder who the oldest player to win a Calder is?n

Edit: Beaten, Markov won it at 31 for the Flames in 1989-1990.

Reactions: SEALBound

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Petterson and Marino are younger and Kapanen is like 3 months older.........at a certain point you have to transition from a prospect to something else.

Well he could win the Calder, so good enough for me! More to the point, I'd say that's serious doubt about how good a player we'll think he is by the season's end, and that says prospect to me.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Went with Puustinen. If he wasn't 5'9'' I feel he would be getting more recognition.

Reactions: Andy99

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He's only been the property of an NHL team for like 6 months, so I guess that still stands. He's not really all that much older than an undrafted NCAA guy either.

Incidentally, I wonder who the oldest player to win a Calder is?n

Edit: Beaten, Markov won it at 31 for the Flames in 1989-1990.

They changed the age after Makarov because there were going to be a flood of soviet block players coming into the NHL that had been playing professional hockey for years. Thus they changed it to age 26.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

He's meaningfully improving and getting better, and an unknown quantity at the NHL level.

Plus IDK, being so big he probably took longer to grow into his body. Being that tall gives ya a couple more years wiggle room.

Reactions: Gallatin

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Zoho's still young enough to be called a prospect. I just don't think he's got anything close to the ceiling people have him at, tbh. I'd be happy if he ended up as a better Kuhn over the long haul; solid 4th liner with talent, albeit rarely showcased.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
So I know everyone has concerns about our bottom 6 and about depth scorers around Sid and Geno etc. All I see are young, hungry bottom 6 candidates and a few that might even catch fire in the top 6 with Sid and Geno like Sheary, Rust and Guentzel did back in 16 and 17. Keep Sid and Geno healthy and we've got some legos to build with here.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So I know everyone has concerns about our bottom 6 and about depth scorers around Sid and Geno etc. All I see are young, hungry bottom 6 candidates and a few that might even catch fire in the top 6 with Sid and Geno like Sheary, Rust and Guentzel did back in 16 and 17. Keep Sid and Geno healthy and we've got some legos to build with here.

Yep. I think this year looks a lot like 14-15 tbh.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The impression I'm getting here is that we're going to need a run-off for #4. I'm thinking either Zohorna vs Legare for #4 and #5 or having the top 3-5 in this for #4 and then doing #5 like normal. Any preferences?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Agree w/ @Peat and @Gallatin. I would do a 3way run off.

interesting to see how much people value the readiness because my thinking was Broz is far and away the best prospect here from a traditional sense. Gonna be curious to see how our list compares to Pronman/Wheeler/Peters/EP/etc

Tristan fatigue is real!

Honestly, it might be as much unfamiliarity as anything. I know he's got talent but not much more than that. I dunno how to project him, or have a feeling what his floor is. We've got a lot of prospects where useful third liner feels like a likely enough outcome, with a bit of ceiling above in best cases - I dunno how likely Broz is to outperform that.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Tristan fatigue is real!

Honestly, it might be as much unfamiliarity as anything. I know he's got talent but not much more than that. I dunno how to project him, or have a feeling what his floor is. We've got a lot of prospects where useful third liner feels like a likely enough outcome, with a bit of ceiling above in best cases - I dunno how likely Broz is to outperform that.

Yeah I couldn’t tell ya floor or ceiling.

My rationale is that he’s got resume- good DY-1, very good DY. Playoff performer. Top 60 pick. USAH likes him enough.

And he’s talented and had success while clearly being far from a finished product. Kid looks 12.

And given that rawness, I think the NCAA is a really good path for him. Which Pryor mentioned IIRC.

So I’m just taking the bet on all those factors compared to the rest of our shoddy (but improving) pool. Never thought he’d run away with it, just slightly surprised he’s not even in the mix really.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I couldn’t tell ya floor or ceiling.

My rationale is that he’s got resume- good DY-1, very good DY. Playoff performer. Top 60 pick. USAH likes him enough.

And he’s talented and had success while clearly being far from a finished product. Kid looks 12.

And given that rawness, I think the NCAA is a really good path for him. Which Pryor mentioned IIRC.

So I’m just taking the bet on all those factors compared to the rest of our shoddy (but improving) pool. Never thought he’d run away with it, just slightly surprised he’s not even in the mix really.

I think the rawness is part of it. Maybe he blows up. Maybe he doesn't. Need a bit more final shape to get excited.

Also, and I'm trying not to let it influence too much but it's there, but the rawness and NCAA route means he's the first highly ranked prospect we've taken where their development timeline could result in them not playing with Sid (while being good). It dampens things. And, insofar as it matters, maybe means a harder time fulfilling his ceiling should he arrive here.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Broz is the biggest potential riser in the prospect pool, I suspect he'll have a Guentzel-like trajectory if he has a strong showing in the NCAA and will immediately jump into the top-5 prospect list. I think he should be top-10 in the prospect pool right now, but I struggle to justify putting him over guys like Blomqvist and Clang right now.

Honestly I kinda don't think Zohorna should be going this high. I just don't see much of an upside with him personally. Sure, he looked good in the NHL last year, but he doesn't really have any traits that stand out beyond his size. I think O'Connor is a bit similar in that. Legare has upside as a triggerman/complementary guy and Clang obviously has massive boom potential, so either of them coming in here seems fine to me, but I don't really see it with Zohorna.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Broz is the biggest potential riser in the prospect pool, I suspect he'll have a Guentzel-like trajectory if he has a strong showing in the NCAA and will immediately jump into the top-5 prospect list. I think he should be top-10 in the prospect pool right now, but I struggle to justify putting him over guys like Blomqvist and Clang right now.

Honestly I kinda don't think Zohorna should be going this high. I just don't see much of an upside with him personally. Sure, he looked good in the NHL last year, but he doesn't really have any traits that stand out beyond his size. I think O'Connor is a bit similar in that. Legare has upside as a triggerman/complementary guy and Clang obviously has massive boom potential, so either of them coming in here seems fine to me, but I don't really see it with Zohorna.

That's one hell of a stand out trait when you're not really missing any other NHL attacking skill sets imo. There will be goals he scores and sets up through protecting the puck that'd be a lot harder for anyone without his size. If he has what it takes to be trusted with minutes, I think his ceiling could end up fairly high.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

If you watch his goals from the AHL and from Europe - the dude can shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad