Prospect Pool set up for a Trade?

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
I am so pleased as a fan with the way that this team has drafted in the past 7-8 years, picking many players higher than anticipated by "the experts" and having it pay dividends.

With the majority of the top end prospects at.

RW:
Rattie
Jaskin
Kurker

RD:
Schmaltz
Hakanpaa

G:
Allen
Binnington
(Im taking Schwartz and Tarasenko off this list because I believe they are very unlikely to be traded/are already in the NHL)
Which all all also positions of strength in the NHL each one loaded with young current NHL players.

I see the blues in prime position to... If necessary make a big "buying" trade soon.

(Also we have many extra picks in this years draft)

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
They better not trade Jaskin

I like him too, but with our current depth of prime age players at RW.
Oshie
Tarasenko
Stewart
Dags

Don't you see our RW prospects as expendable? What if we packaged him with others to get a legit top pairing left handed dman? wouldnt that be worth it? especially if the dman has many good years ahead of him (cough cough keith yandle)

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I dont look at it like we are set up for a trade, but rather we have much depth for many years to come. Players will earn their spots and while someone may be traded, we are setting ourselves up to succeed for years to come.

I would not want to trade 3 big assets for someone like Yandle, but rather let it play out as most of these guys are at least 1-2 years away.

This is also why I like the drafting of Schmaltz and Maceachern because they are looking many years down the road instead of "needs" we need for the coming season.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
I am so pleased as a fan with the way that this team has drafted in the past 7-8 years, picking many players higher than anticipated by "the experts" and having it pay dividends.

With the majority of the top end prospects at.

RW:
Rattie
Jaskin
Kurker

RD:
Schmaltz
Hakanpaa

G:
Allen
Binnington
(Im taking Schwartz and Tarasenko off this list because I believe they are very unlikely to be traded/are already in the NHL)
Which all all also positions of strength in the NHL each one loaded with young current NHL players.

I see the blues in prime position to... If necessary make a big "buying" trade soon.

(Also we have many extra picks in this years draft)

Stewart and/or dags will not be on the team next year. Since both are going to be RFAs it will most likely be a trade but we could just hope some one offer sheets one or both of them and we just take the picks. Either way there will be an open spot(s) next season. Rattie will fill a spot on the RW unless he has a bad training camp in which case he will be in Peoria next season, he will be turning 20 in a couple weeks. The prospects will be used to keep the team salary down as we lose other guys.

It would be hard to believe both Halak and Elliott are resigned. Chances are at this point Elliott will be gone after next season unless Halak regresses. Allen will be the new back up unless Binnington can beat him out for the back up spot. If Binnington beats out Allen then Allen will probably be going some where else like Bishop.

Petro and Shattenkirk are both RFAs at the end of the season they will probably be locked up long term leaving only 1 spot on the right side open. Hakanpaa is having a worse year this year than last, hopefully it is just a sophomore slump but at this point its hard to judge where he will be going forward. Because of his down year he does not have a lot of trade value. I could see Schmaltz being moved because he is a lot more offensive oriented than defensively oriented, but it will be several years before he sees the NHL for any team.

The Blues have 47-48 contracts currently (capgeek needs updated so idk exactly how many but they are really close to 50) so chances are any trades they make would have to include players already under contract.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It all comes back to our salary bill. I keep going on about it, but unless something significant changes then it is going to play a massive part of how we build our team.

Losing the potential salary relief of ELC's while adding the salary of an established player is going to be difficult for us to do. I'd be completely shocked to see us moving picks + prospects for established players.

Moving established players makes more sense. You create space for the young player to come through, you can remain roughly salary neutral in the trade and you will hopefully get a better return for the established player. It is another reason I just don't see Stewart with the team next season.

Of course there will be exceptions, but I think that is going to be the general philosophy now.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
We are going to need that prospect pool as soon as next year. With raises we will be doling out soon, some players are going to find there way out of the organization and we will need cheap replacements.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Anybody want to guess at Petro and Shatty's extension numbers?

2 years for shattenkirk 3 for petro, that way they will each have 1 year of RFA left when those contracts run out so they can be signed for 8 years taking them both to 34. The shorter term also allows the Blues to see how the CBA is working out, its hard to plan for long term until you see the strengths and weaknesses of the new cba

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
2 years for shattenkirk 3 for petro, that way they will each have 1 year of RFA left when those contracts run out so they can be signed for 8 years taking them both to 34. The shorter term also allows the Blues to see how the CBA is working out, its hard to plan for long term until you see the strengths and weaknesses of the new cba

like it

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I'm really kind of hoping that both Halak and Elliott take discounts understanding they both play better in this type of system and with competition from each other. Hopefully Elliott will think that St. Louis helped save his career he would rather be a 1b than potentially falling apart again as a #1 goalie by himself. This is all hope though and would understand if they would rather take the risk and get paid more money.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm really kind of hoping that both Halak and Elliott take discounts understanding they both play better in this type of system and with competition from each other. Hopefully Elliott will think that St. Louis helped save his career he would rather be a 1b than potentially falling apart again as a #1 goalie by himself. This is all hope though and would understand if they would rather take the risk and get paid more money.

I think it's pretty obvious that Elliott does not mind being a part of the 2 goalie system. He signed a 2 year extension when his value as a free agent would have been at an all time high. A team like Columbus or Toronto probably would've given him a decent contract to be their starter, but he chose to stay. I have no idea if Jaro likes being part of a 2 goalie system, but he's played better during his career when he's either pushing someone else(Price), or being pushed himself. He may not like it, but I think it suits him well. He's so streaky, so when he's on his hot streak, you can ride him until he cools off. When he's having an off week, you can play the other goalie until he finds his form again.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Honestly, with all of the depth at the RW and pretty solid in net, I think it is possible that the Blues will make a trade, but i see it more trading one of our more established players - such as Stewart and D'ago. In doing so I would expect back young prospects and more picks - due to salary issues.

Our budget will always make it hard for the team to keep non-core good performing players. But if you can move the solid depth for more stuff for the system, I think it is safe to say we will always have a very solid pipeline of prospects and with our drafting, I think it is also safe to say, that we will likely do very well.

I would love to see us add another high end LHD, but why would teams move them, unless you are Phoenix and having trouble scoring w/ lots of d?

Personally, at this point I would love to see us adding some Center depth and more on the backend.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Barring an total miracle, Pietrangelo will be a minimum of $6m per season. Shattenkirk will probably be about $3m.
I was thinking about 4.5-5 for shatty. His production is worth more than 3 mil and he has to know it.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I was thinking about 4.5-5 for shatty. His production is worth more than 3 mil and he has to know it.

I think the Del Zotto contract (2y/$2.55m per) is a decent marker for Shattenkirk. Shattenkirk will be more proven, and is the better player at this point IMO, but I don't think it is enough to get him that much more than MDZ.

I think it's pretty obvious that Elliott does not mind being a part of the 2 goalie system. He signed a 2 year extension when his value as a free agent would have been at an all time high. A team like Columbus or Toronto probably would've given him a decent contract to be their starter, but he chose to stay. I have no idea if Jaro likes being part of a 2 goalie system, but he's played better during his career when he's either pushing someone else(Price), or being pushed himself. He may not like it, but I think it suits him well. He's so streaky, so when he's on his hot streak, you can ride him until he cools off. When he's having an off week, you can play the other goalie until he finds his form again.

I wouldn't read that much into the Elliott decision. He could have got a little bit more money elsewhere had he decided to look elsewhere in the offseason, but if he can put up anything close to what he did last season over the next 2 years then he is likely gone.

1 good year gets you a nice contract for 1 or 2 years, but he was smart and realised that St. Louis gave him the best opportunity to come close to what he did last season. If he does that over the next 2 years, then a team will give him a fat contract for 4+ years.

We'll be in a good position to decide who we want to go with at that point, and hopefully Allen or Lundström will be ready to push for that 1B position.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think the Del Zotto contract (2y/$2.55m per) is a decent marker for Shattenkirk. Shattenkirk will be more proven, and is the better player at this point IMO, but I don't think it is enough to get him that much more than MDZ.

I wouldn't read that much into the Elliott decision. He could have got a little bit more money elsewhere had he decided to look elsewhere in the offseason, but if he can put up anything close to what he did last season over the next 2 years then he is likely gone.

1 good year gets you a nice contract for 1 or 2 years, but he was smart and realised that St. Louis gave him the best opportunity to come close to what he did last season. If he does that over the next 2 years, then a team will give him a fat contract for 4+ years.

We'll be in a good position to decide who we want to go with at that point, and hopefully Allen or Lundström will be ready to push for that 1B position.

Edler just got 6 years at $5M. Just throwing it out there for comparison sake.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Honestly, with all of the depth at the RW and pretty solid in net, I think it is possible that the Blues will make a trade, but i see it more trading one of our more established players - such as Stewart and D'ago. In doing so I would expect back young prospects and more picks - due to salary issues.

Our budget will always make it hard for the team to keep non-core good performing players. But if you can move the solid depth for more stuff for the system, I think it is safe to say we will always have a very solid pipeline of prospects and with our drafting, I think it is also safe to say, that we will likely do very well.

I would love to see us add another high end LHD, but why would teams move them, unless you are Phoenix and having trouble scoring w/ lots of d?

Personally, at this point I would love to see us adding some Center depth and more on the backend.

IMO a big part of sustaining that model is the ability of Peoria to become a successful program for player development. At this point, I am not sure it is up to par.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad