Prospect ponderings from the NHL Draft...

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Slats432, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    I was doing a Draft Review for a team for the 2004 draft(Which will be done soon.) when a bunch of different things I was thinking about the draft just ran through my head...in Steve Simmons fashion. So...some thoughts about the 2004 NHL entry draft....

So if the Capitals can’t get Alexander Ovechkin out of Russia and their team doesn’t improve much over the course of the season, how does Ovechkin-Crosby sound?…..

IMG, the agents for top prospect Evgeny Malkin had a pre draft reception where prospects received gifts such as sports jerseys from famous stars such as Lance Alworth, Earl Campbell and Moses Malone. With the luck of the draw, Malkin got yet another hint of where he would end up at the draft. A Willie Stargell jersey….

Person most surprised by Blake Wheeler taken number 5 by Phoenix? Blake Wheeler….

Robbie Schremp goes 25th overall to the Edmonton Oilers after using the F-Bomb a few times in the interview process. I am sure it’s the same F-Bomb the Oilers used after “Holy†when they saw he was still around at 25…..

How does 34th CSB North American Peter Tsimikalis go undrafted?…

The Redline Report has coveted Notre Dame goalie David Brown for two full years as a first round prospect. Don’t know what they see that 30 NHL teams didn’t see. He went in the eighth round to Pittsburgh….

Kitchener Rangers forward Evan McGrath was upset after not going in the top three rounds he didn’t go to the RBC Center on Day 2 of the draft and instead stayed at the hotel to work out. After a call from his agent that the Wings took him in the fourth round, he went over to put on the jersey….

The Los Angeles Kings provided one of the few surprises on the second day of the draft, choosing Japanese goaltender Yutaka Fukufuji as the 238th pick in the eighth round. An even bigger surprise is that he isn’t the first Japanese player ever selected...

The International Scouting Service had Andrej Meszaros ranked fourth overall, THN pegged him at 12th. NHL Central Scouting had him as the sixth-ranked European skater. Ottawa selects him 23rd.

Overheard at an NHL draft party “Next year we will have a contest on how many times you hear the word ‘upside’ on draft day.†……

Asset management? Dallas trades down twice and picks 28th, 52nd, 88th, and 91st instead of 20th and 153rd.

2. Chief

Chief Registered User

younggunshockey had him at #25 :D

Just havin' fun in bringing it up. Of course it doesn't prove anything. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

3. V for Voodoo

V for Voodoo Registered User

Self-Employed
    Home Page:
    What's the scoop on this?

4. db23

db23 Guest

Robbie used the "F" word. Goodness, I hope he doesn't do when he is out on the ice. :shakehead

...Redline is still waiting for Lars Jonsson to emerge as the "sleeper" star from the 2000 draft.... :help: ....or Andre Kastitsyn to show one good reason why he was drafted in the first 5 rounds last year... :cry:

Last edited by moderator : Jul 1, 2004
  5. Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina Registered User

Still, you don't want to start cursing up a storm if you want to impress people during an interview.

6. db23

db23 Guest

I wouldn't do it, but some teams might find the honesty refreshing.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed Registered User

UVA stdent
    Home Page:
    Eh...well at least he could always find a job as VP of the US if his hockey career doesn't work out.

8. BrooklynCanuck

BrooklynCanuck Registered User

I ated the purple berries, they taste like burning
    Home Page:
    When I saw Schremp interviewed he struck me as team cancer waiting to happen. He did not seem like the kind of guy that I would be eager to step to the defense of. He's going to need protection in the NHL (considering his average size) and I just don't see him as the kind of guy that will appreciate it.

9. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

I think you make some fair points, although it also stands to reason Edmonton management will work with Schremp to fine tune some of his rough edges. Frankly, a few beat downs are probably going to be in order. He seems like a guy who wants to makes his mark and prove his naysayers wrong, so he could surprise.

10. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager

Schremp is a blue collar American kid. I don't see what's so out of the ordinary about him. He's not an Alberta farm boy, and I think that's hard for some people to take.

11. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

I dont know where the hell you're getting at. I would doubt farm boys are linked to any sort of upscale bourgeois neck-tie functions.

12. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager

No, but as a rule, isn't safe to say Canadian hockey players have a reputation as being polite and soft spoken (see: Joe Sakic)? Schremp is far from fitting that description, and I think in large part it comes from his background.

13. Douggy

Douggy Registered User

Home Page:
    I don't see how his background is different from anyone elses.

14. Moskau

Moskau Registered User

You mean sort of how players like Brad May are constantly having to stick up for Matt Cooke because he's too gutless to fight the teammate of the guy he just cheapshotted?

15. degroat*

degroat* Guest

The following post was made on another board by a poster who happens to post here (I'll let him reveal himself if he wishes to):

Last edited by moderator : Jul 2, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.