Propose a WWE-AEW trade that would benefit both companies

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Here's a nice and controversial one:

To WWE: CM Punk
To AEW: Charlotte

CM Punk is a bit lost in the shuffle so far in AEW. Which is fine - they're giving him a 'slow burn' push. Still a huge name with I'm sure big things to come in AEW, so I'm not criticizing. But a lot of the 'money' in a Punk return to wrestling is see him take on WWE, both kayfabe wise and non-kayfabe wise. Imagine having him return to take on Reigns - the chosen one - sprinkling in doses of reality in there, blurring the lines of what's real and what's not? That's a huge wrestlemania main event in the making, and could be a year long-feud if you add in stables or twists and turns. Money feud.

Charlotte to AEW - She's done it all in WWE. Too many title reigns already. AEW's woman division can use someone as big and credible as her to really push things forward.

Obviously CM Punk is the bigger name, so in the long run it benefits WWE, but I think in the short to medium term could be beneficial for both sides.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Here's a nice and controversial one:

To WWE: CM Punk
To AEW: Charlotte

CM Punk is a bit lost in the shuffle so far in AEW. Which is fine - they're giving him a 'slow burn' push. Still a huge name with I'm sure big things to come in AEW, so I'm not criticizing. But a lot of the 'money' in a Punk return to wrestling is see him take on WWE, both kayfabe wise and non-kayfabe wise. Imagine having him return to take on Reigns - the chosen one - sprinkling in doses of reality in there, blurring the lines of what's real and what's not? That's a huge wrestlemania main event in the making, and could be a year long-feud if you add in stables or twists and turns. Money feud.

Charlotte to AEW - She's done it all in WWE. Too many title reigns already. AEW's woman division can use someone as big and credible as her to really push things forward.

Obviously CM Punk is the bigger name, so in the long run it benefits WWE, but I think in the short to medium term could be beneficial for both sides.

I could get behind this, but I don't think you get the same Punk in today's WWE landscape. Wasn't a huge reason for his return the AEW roster and culture? I don't think you get the same motivation from him without AEW and all it has to offer

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I could get behind this, but I don't think you get the same Punk in today's WWE landscape. Wasn't a huge reason for his return the AEW roster and culture? I don't think you get the same motivation from him without AEW and all it has to offer

Oh yeah for sure. The whole premise of this thread is fantasy though, so I figured I could take a few liberties and assume he'd go back to WWE motivated for this return

Reactions: TD Charlie

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
CM Punk only seems lost in the shuffle because he's not past the "happy to be here" phase yet. He needs a proper feud soon. I think vs. Moxley or Rhodes is perfect.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
CM Punk only seems lost in the shuffle because he's not past the "happy to be here" phase yet. He needs a proper feud soon. I think vs. Moxley or Rhodes is perfect.

True. This sort of feels like Tony is just throwing him a bone these first few months until the honeymoon is over. Wouldn't surprise me if Punk was hand picking his opponents to get his feet wet before he's in a meaningful back and forth feud.

Rhodes v Punk would be nice. Cody has just about gone stale at this point and they're starting to tease the heel turn. Punk's current "love fest" thing is gonna go stale any day now. Pitting them against each other could revive both of em. They both speak well, and they wrestle pretty similarly at this point. Could be fun.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
True. This sort of feels like Tony is just throwing him a bone these first few months until the honeymoon is over. Wouldn't surprise me if Punk was hand picking his opponents to get his feet wet before he's in a meaningful back and forth feud.

Rhodes v Punk would be nice. Cody has just about gone stale at this point and they're starting to tease the heel turn. Punk's current "love fest" thing is gonna go stale any day now. Pitting them against each other could revive both of em. They both speak well, and they wrestle pretty similarly at this point. Could be fun.

Rhodes would be the perfect guy for Punk to cut worked shoot promos against. He can talk about Cody's family, his executive position, his reality show etc.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I get the impression Punk is interested in commentary and not a crazy schedule too. We'll see. Either way AEW trading him right now would be crazy. I prefer AEW and I don't consume much WWE content whatsoever, but as things are right now I would think that AEW would have to get some lopsided trade offer to really be interested in doing business with the WWE. That said there are some AEW talents that are doing pretty well there that I'd consider moving for the right return. Lucharsaurus comes to mind. That frees up Jungle Boy and I could eventually turn him heel. FTR are another consideration, though I like that AEW has such a strong tag team division and the Lucha Bros will burn through opponents too fast if how they handled The Acclaimed's shot is any indication.

I'm still amazed at how strong AEW's roster is right now. When they first started I never would have thought they'd be in this position. Of course a good chunk of that was my own ignorance of their roster, but they rise has really been meteoric. Really have to credit Tony Khan based on what I've seen. He's a LOT more than just the money behind AEW.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Rhodes would be the perfect guy for Punk to cut worked shoot promos against. He can talk about Cody's family, his executive position, his reality show etc.

Agreed, and more importantly it gets Cody a proper feud and storyline. Cody gets a lot of flack and I don't like everything he's done, but there seems to be reasons behind it and it's not about pushing himself. I actually wish it was because then we'd get the Cody we should be getting week in and week out.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If AEW were to trade a "top star" assuming they would get the right return, Moxley is a guy worth considering. I like him and his gimmick, but with the roster being what it is at the moment I think they could afford to do it.

One guy I'd like to see in AEW is Nakamura.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I see Brian Cage going down the EC3 route if he were to be in WWE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad