Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
Staals have been massively underwhelming for me. They strike me as guys who have cashed in, and each have their Cup already, they always look so uninspired when they play. The most average star centre combo in the league. Amazing that a team with so many supposed quality, veteran NHL players can appear to be so mediocre if not downright disappointing. They seemed to be trapped in a vortex of irrelevance and indifference there in Carolina. And don't get me wrong I'd welcome one of them for sure (preferably Jordan), but at what price.

This. We need people that can FORCE the play, and make something out of nothing. (I see the pun)

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I took a look at the upcoming UFA and tried to select the better options using Corsi as the measuring stick. IMO, it is unfair to compare the Corsi of two players on different teams so I considered Corsi relative to their teamates.

Here is a quick list of guys who look interesting. In bold are the guys who look to be real value and meet a pressing need

Robidas
Iginla
Hainsey
Cammalleri
Jagr
Fayne
Martinek
Stralman
Benoit Pouliot

Carcillo
Corvo
Stansny
Downie
Morris
Moss
Kennedy
Jussi Jokinen
Niskanen

Jesse Winchester
Boyle
Bracken Kearns
Bolland
Matt greene
Rupp
Markov
Eaves
Grabovski
Penner
Pardy

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Just a thought:

What about Nail Yakupov for Alex Galchenyuk?

Gally is struggling in Montreal this year not unlike Yak in Edmonton.

Wouldn't happen. If the Oil do blow it up I'd like to see them try to get Gally, reignite what those two had in Sarnia. Throw some big money at Jagr and play him with those two, have him guide them, that'd be good IMO.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
These poor players having to make due under this harsh new CBA, one in which a David Bolland can ask for $40 million with a straight face.

Or maybe he just doesn't want to play in TO and forcing their hand?

Either be stupid and overpay or he's gonna walk

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Keep both Yak and Eberle.

Trade Gagner for a top 4 defenseman.

Draft Ekblad.

Don't resign Jones, Fraser or Belov.

Throw some money and term for Bolland.

Sign Kulemin or Downie

Sign David Moss to play with Gordon.

Sign Fiddler. (Local guy)

Sign Niskanen

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Bolland-Eberle
Moss-Gordon-Kulemin/Downie
Smyth-Fiddler-Hendricks
Gazdic

Petry-Niskanen
(Gagner Trade)- Schultz
Ference-Ekblad/Nurse/Klefbom

Fasth
Scrivens

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hope those idiots use the Clarkson money on Bolland. $4.5 - $5.0 over 4 or 5 years term? The guy would be a welcomed addition to this team.

I hope not.

Bolland is a shell of his former self. He was a dominant 3c in Chicago around 2010-11. However, ask any Chicago fan and they'll tell you he tailed off hard in his final seasons

I see some people slot him in the 2c role. He was tried in the 2c role in Chicago and failed hard, if he doesn't work in Chicago, he wont work anywhere. He doesn't have the skill to be an effective 2c

Not only that, but he has had significant injury concerns, both in Chicago and Toronto. He missed 50 games this season with a foot injury. I would guess his performance will continue to decline.

Bolland at 4.5-5 mill over a term longer than 2 years is a huge risk, and will be a bad contract.

Gordon obvisouly isn't as good offensively, but he is an ideal 3c center, and wont cost 5m. If we were signing Bolland, itd be for the 3c role, where Im more than ok with sticking with Gordon.

We need to use the money to sign a D, or legit 2c. Not a "maybe he can do it"

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Signing Bolland is one of the worst ideas I've seen here. Like "trade Taylor Hall" bad.

If we're rummaging through the Leafs remainder bin, I'd suggest Kulemin or Leo Komorov.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Signing Bolland is one of the worst ideas I've seen here. Like "trade Taylor Hall" bad.

If we're rummaging through the Leafs remainder bin, I'd suggest Kulemin or Leo Komorov.

You'd think fans would realize how big of a bullet we dodged by missing out on Clarkson last year. Now, instead fans want us to use the money we didn't spend on one of the leagues worst contracts to try to one-up it and give that kind of money to Bolland, Niskanen, Markov, etc.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You'd think fans would realize how big of a bullet we dodged by missing out on Clarkson last year. Now, instead fans want us to use the money we didn't spend on one of the leagues worst contracts to try to one-up it and give that kind of money to Bolland, Niskanen, Markov, etc.

I'll say this, Markov is that if he gets more then 2 years, on a short deal, he looks like a good fit.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
I'll say this, Markov is that if he gets more then 2 years, on a short deal, he looks like a good fit.

I'm not saying any of these players are bad fits. I'm saying the amount they'll require (or that people are proposing) makes them awful.

Markov? Chances are he'll miss 50% of the games the Oilers play, but I'd still take a shot at him on a reasonable 1-2 contract. Problem is, if we got him we would probably get him through the Ference treatment - giving him a year longer than anyone else would.

Plus, I've seen people say we should throw $7.5M per over 3 years at him. Seriously?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm not saying any of these players are bad fits. I'm saying the amount they'll require (or that people are proposing) makes them awful.

Markov? Chances are he'll miss 50% of the games the Oilers play, but I'd still take a shot at him on a reasonable 1-2 contract. Problem is, if we got him we would probably get him through the Ference treatment - giving him a year longer than anyone else would.

Plus, I've seen people say we should throw $7.5M per over 3 years at him. Seriously?

That's the thing right, if you have to over pay in the "short" term, there's little harm in that.

$15-16M over 2 years isn't a big deal because the Oilers are hardly a cap team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I really hope MacT has faced significant backlash for even thinking about offering Clarkson a comparable contract. Maybe he has learned that offering big dollars and long term to 30 year old grinders is horribly stupid.

With Markov, I would support a Semin like contract. Offer him 6.5M-7m X 2 years. Is it a major overpayment? yes. But its only 2 years and we wont be too cap crunched.

I would offer than type of deal to a couple older FAs, but Markov would be a good option

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
I really hope MacT has faced significant backlash for even thinking about offering Clarkson a comparable contract. Maybe he has learned that offering big dollars and long term to 30 year old grinders is horribly stupid.

With Markov, I would support a Semin like contract. Offer him 6.5M-7m X 2 years. Is it a major overpayment? yes. But its only 2 years and we wont be too cap crunched.

I would offer than type of deal to a couple older FAs, but Markov would be a good option

You'd like to think that but watch as we throw $6+ per over 7 years to Callahan.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Agreed, Bolland is not a good idea for #2C. I would only be interested in he came cheap, which he won't.

I would be interested in Jordan Staal as #2C. He's what 26?
His contract has NINE more years after this year @ $6 Million per year. He would be 35 by then.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Signing someone like Downie would be huge for us. He play aggressively and with an edge that Oiler fans haven't seen for a long time.

Also a question I've been thinking about for a while.. With Pittsburgh looking at offensive forwards, would Gagner for Sutter be a possibility? How close is their value? Could Sutter be our 2nd line center?

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Signing someone like Downie would be huge for us. He play aggressively and with an edge that Oiler fans haven't seen for a long time.

Also a question I've been thinking about for a while.. With Pittsburgh looking at offensive forwards, would Gagner for Sutter be a possibility? How close is their value? Could Sutter be our 2nd line center?

Sutter would be a fine 2C if two good, offensive wingers were surrounding him. I don't mind C depth of RNH, Sutter, Gordon and Lander at all.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Signing someone like Downie would be huge for us. He plays with aggressively and with an edge that Oiler fans haven't seen for a long time.

I'd really like to pry Sutter out of Pittsburgh. It seems like he really wants a chance to play in the top 6 and show he can produce in a top 6 role instead of draggin along a 3rd line of plugs like he has done for the pens lately. Looks like he is gonna get a chance to center their 2nd line for the last little bit of the season and maybe a bit of the first round while Geno is out. If he looks good then the Pens could be in a bit of a bind with him being an RFA and their cap situation. With them bringing in Goc at the deadline that could make Sutter expendable at the draft.

I'd say something like prospect + pick could maybe get it done.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009

Sutter would be a fine 2C if two good, offensive wingers were surrounding him. I don't mind C depth of RNH, Sutter, Gordon and Lander at all.

Sutter was traded to Pittsburgh to be a 3rd line center behind the best 1-2 punch down the middle in the world and he's not really living up to expectations. Why would we want a guy who's 180 lbs (yeah he's 6'3" but small for that height) when we have so many undersized players in the top 6? I'd rather just draft a center in the summer if we don't get Ekblad and give him a shot.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'd really like to pry Sutter out of Pittsburgh. It seems like he really wants a chance to play in the top 6 and show he can produce in a top 6 role instead of draggin along a 3rd line of plugs like he has done for the pens lately. Looks like he is gonna get a chance to center their 2nd line for the last little bit of the season and maybe a bit of the first round while Geno is out. If he looks good then the Pens could be in a bit of a bind with him being an RFA and their cap situation. With them bringing in Goc at the deadline that could make Sutter expendable at the draft.

I'd say something like prospect + pick could maybe get it done.

I think he'd be a good 2C I just wouldn't want to overpay for him. If MacT could pull off a Perron like trade that would be perfect.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Would Gagner for Sutter straight across be fair?

I think Shero might like to bring Gagner in and convert him to the wing but his cap hit would really be a problem for them. The only way I could see it happening was if we retained a good chunk of Gagner's contract which I dunno if I would be prepared to do.

Now if we could do something like Gagner with say 30% retained for Sutter + Niskanen rights (If we were allowed to chat with Niskanen about a contract extension before the trade)

Edit:

Sutter might be a little light but he uses his body effectively, he is very strong on his skates and his shut down capabilities are second to none. I think he would sign a contract around the 3x3 range. It would be a raise on what he is making and if he turns into a viable 2C option that is a great contract for a couple years if he stays as an excellent third liner then 3 mil isn't awful.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Those four centres have a combined 35 goals and 94 points in 228 games this year. We would need our wingers to be stacked on all four lines to make up for that kind of production.

We are already settling by playing Gordon on the third line and Nugent-Hopkins hasn't shown that he can produce like a first liner yet so I'm not sure it's a good idea to plug a third liner into the second line centre spot.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Edit:

Sutter might be a little light but he uses his body effectively, he is very strong on his skates and his shut down capabilities are second to none. I think he would sign a contract around the 3x3 range. It would be a raise on what he is making and if he turns into a viable 2C option that is a great contract for a couple years if he stays as an excellent third liner then 3 mil isn't awful.

He's -4 on the second best team in the East. Now I don't really give +/- too much weight but when you have guys that are +31 like Matt Niskanen or Chris Kunitz who's +24 on your team, it seems to me like he's not really shutting much down.

Compare Sutter with Carl Soderberg on Boston (in his first full season in the NHL) who's an SEL vet and is 3 years older than Sutter and is also 6'3". He's got 17 more points on a more defensive team, plays over a minute and a half less per game (Sutter 15:31 ATOI vs Soderberg 13:58 ATOI) and is a plus 6 on Boston. Now again, you can say +/- isn't an important stat but imo Soderberg's success has a lot to do with the fact that he's 216 lbs and is probably a lot stronger and more defensively responsible than Sutter.

If you want to argue Boston's superior defense and goaltending, okay np, I'll give you that. But please explain why an SEL vet is outscoring an 11th overall pick who plays on one of the best offensive teams in the league? I just don't see Sutter as the answer to our problems down the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan