Proposal: 4-conference structure in MLS

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
So, MLS is currently divided into 2 conferences. Without divisions, the conferences as they exist now seem bloated.

So, I've come up with a 4 conference structure that would depend on where the next three expansion teams are placed:

Eastern Conference:
CF Montréal
D.C. United
New England Revolution
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Philadelphia Union
Toronto FC
(expansion)

Northern Conference:
Chicago Fire FC
Columbus Crew
FC Cincinnati
Minnesota United FC
Sporting Kansas City
St. Louis City SC
(2 expansions)

Southern Conference:
Atlanta United FC
Austin FC
Charlotte FC
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo FC
Inter Miami CF
Nashville SC
Orlando City SC

Western Conference:
Colorado Rapids
LA Galaxy
Los Angeles FC
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

The four conferences are based on the four key regions of the US: Northeast, Midwest, South, and West, plus portions of Canada adjunct to the Northeast and West.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I proposed a three-conference structure before, but it would have been too problematic in determining qualification for the MLS Cup. Here, four conference champions would qualify for the MLS Cup Semifinals.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Under my proposal, MLS would increase the regular season to 36 games, with 28 being played in-conference (4 against each team). Each conference would rotate playing each other for the remaining 8 games.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
With Las Vegas applying to be the 9th MT/PT team in MLS, I've also proposed the other four conferences get to 9 teams at some point.

27 games would be played within the conference, 3 teams would be played 4 times each and 5 teams 3 times each.

The remaining 9 games would be interconference rotation, two pairs of conferences would play each other on a rotating basis.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
With Las Vegas applying to be the 9th MT/PT team in MLS, I've also proposed the other four conferences get to 9 teams at some point.

27 games would be played within the conference, 3 teams would be played 4 times each and 5 teams 3 times each.

The remaining 9 games would be interconference rotation, two pairs of conferences would play each other on a rotating basis.
Are you proposing the league goes to 36 teams?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes, and with it, a 36-game schedule where 27 games are played in-conference, and there are four conferences.
There are currently 27 with plans to have 29 by 2023. Even that’s too many. Ratings are shit. The record setting team this season couldn’t even play in a soccer specific stadium. Yet you want to add more teams? Delusional at best.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/maj...t-needs-to-secure-huge-media-deals-first.html

I didn't catch this last year, but it seems we're actually finding an upper bound to the plans MLS has (the mention of no more than 30 teams). Furthermore, this rests as a reminder that things will get interesting in the next few months as it's Television Contract Renegotiation Time for the league.

My question: does alignment really seem like an issue? Because an upper bound of 30 implies that this isn't going to 4 divisions, that we will remain at two conferences, and I'd guess that the playoff bye for the top seed will go away.

Ratings are kind of rising (but have never been at NFL levels, nor will they be). Networks want to lock down a property like this. And if you read the article, the key becomes how to get people to watch.

The large markets are flooded with longer standing leagues in older sports. And I can argue that LAFC has kind of broken that mold in terms of attendance and atmosphere... but can you translate that into TV? Houston and Dallas can't do squat... but Austin is doing well, and I am completely not surprised by this. MLS is a league that's got its claws well into several (not all) secondary markets. That's an issue.

I think there's another way it can translate into TV, but not the direction you're likely thinking. The proposal to merge MLS and Liga MX would be a game-changer, and if you're an American TV titan with no sense of history or respect for the turf of others, that's the direction you want to go. But that lack of sense won't translate to the real world. So don't hold your breath.

BTW- there was the time when MLS went to three conferences. It flopped. My suggestion to you is that pandering to older tradition-bound non-soccer fans has never worked for MLS, because those fans aren't going to be soccer fans anyway. MLS has gained traction by trying to attract younger crowds (which is why, hindsight being king here, MLS has gained traction in Seattle and Portland and Atlanta and Austin), and they know how to use the internet and compare MLS to the big European leagues. This explains a lot of other things as well. So MLS doesn't see the conferences as bloated because this comes close to the expectations of actual fans rather than theoretical fans.

Last edited:

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
The issue with a growing league is the amount of useless soccer with no pro/rel.

Ideally you'd have your 4 conferences. With the top 4 and bottom 4 splitting into a relegation/championship round similar to Belgium.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad