Prospect Info: Prokhor Poltapov, F (33rd overall, 2021) CSKA Moskva (KHL)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
https://thehockeywriters.com/prokhor-poltapov-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
Strengths

• Drives play well
  • Stickhandling
  • Playmaking
  • Motor
  • Defensive zone responsibility
  • Not afraid of physical contact
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Doesn’t have great speed
  • Needs to work on his shot
NHL Potential

Poltapov has an absurdly high ceiling, but it’s uncertain whether he can reach it. His ability to drive the play, create scoring chances, retrieve the puck and his fearlessness are the glue that holds the best forward lines in the NHL together. If he reaches the high-end of his potential, he could become a key top-line player used in all situations. Think Brad Marchand, but a few inches taller. However, his floor is probably as a depth/role player who is used on the penalty kill and averages less than 12 minutes per game. I think he will land somewhere in the midding, but leaning more towards his ceiling. If he reaches that potential, though, he will be the steal of the draft.

I'm thinking Yuri Khymlev, but I hope he doesn't stay in Russia as long. The Yurinator was 28 when he joined the Sabres.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
High motor, has some grit to his game. Not afraid to forecheck or go into high traffic areas.

I think it's a little early for him but we need a couple guys like this rostered

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
That is a great value pick. I think Buffalo is a good landing spot for Prokhor. I know some question his consistency but there is no doubt he has alot of tenacity to his game and excellent puck skills. I hope he does you proud and becomes a big time player, especially since I have one of his game worn junior jerseys from Krasnaya.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-121649_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-121649_Gallery.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 8

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
Joined this board to talk about this kid. I live in Saint Petersburg, where he's from. While he didn't play for any of the Petersburg junior teams, he's still someone I followed closely. It's rare to find a legitimate NHL talent reign from Saint Petersburg, as it's always been more of a football town until the last 6-8 years.

Prokhor -- an interesting and very old name -- has a chance to be the best player to be born in Saint Petersburg.

I will watch him more closely next season when CSKA comes to town.

Glad to see us end the streak not drafting Russians. Not sure how since we don't have Russian scouts

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I know basically nothing about this kid, but it sounds like the Sabres are drafting entirely for high upside, and I can't be mad at that. Swing for the fences. Even if you miss, you can still ground out into a double play. Sorry, rooting the Yankees this season may have thrown the metaphor off a little for me.

Reactions: Buffalo Preds

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

He looks like he just enjoys playing. Reminds me of Skinner or Max in that regard.

Check out the rush at 7:50. I guess it didn't find the highlight reel because he didn't score, but quite the play

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not to take this off topic, but I only know it as a surname — what’s the history of the given name?
The name Prokhor has Greek roots, translated from this language means "choir manager", and there is also a translation version of "the one who is in front of the choir." The name Prokhor is mentioned in the New Testament: that was the name of one of the seventy apostles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad