Prospect Info: Prokhor Poltapov, F (33rd overall, 2021) CSKA Moskva (KHL)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Is the first pick in the 2nd round of a draft found money? Shouldn't we expect that pick to turn into something?
Most often you get nothing.

Sometimes you get Samuelsson. Mostly you are lucky to get Brendan Lemeiux. I just looked at every first pick in round 2 of the draft in the last 20 years. A ton of less than a season’s worth of games played In a career.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Sometimes you get Samuelsson. Mostly you are lucky to get Brendan Lemeiux. I just looked at every draft in the last 20 years. A ton of less than a season’s worth of games played In a career.

Damn. I thought the 1st pick in the 2nd round would get you something more often than not (and by something, I mean a playable NHL guy)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Damn. I thought the 1st pick in the 2nd round would get you something more often than not (and by something, I mean a playable NHL guy)
Tons of great players go in round 2 (and beyond) obviously. But that coveted top pick in round 2 that gets its own articles the night after round 1 had a lot of nothing attached to it.

I guess it makes some sense. You’re probably taking a guy that was considered a first round pick and you can’t believe he fell. And of course there was a reason they did.

I’d still rather have it than a later one…but half the time it seems like you blow it big time.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I remember wanting Chibrikov over him when they drafted him, and then seeing the difference in VHL production last year just reaffirmed that. Nice to see he's outperformed Chib this year though and managed to stick in the KHL. Hoping I was wrong in my initial reaction.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Is the first pick in the 2nd round of a draft found money? Shouldn't we expect that pick to turn into something?

It wasn't meant to suggest we shouldn't have high expectations. I'm just saying he's going to be over in Russia until then and then at his age could just show up and immediately contribute. More out of sight, out of mind than if he was in Rochester.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua

Sometimes you get Samuelsson. Mostly you are lucky to get Brendan Lemeiux. I just looked at every first pick in round 2 of the draft in the last 20 years. A ton of less than a season’s worth of games played In a career.
Wow. I just did the same exercise. The only notable players for the first pick of the second round in the last 20 years are below (not counting the last couple of years where it’s too early to tell). All others have either never played in the NHL or barely played. It’s not a great hit rate for that pick.

Jacob Markström
Mikko Koskinen
Tyler Pitlick
Brendan Lemieux
Mattias Samuelsson
Shane Pinto

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I still don't know why he's not playing in the last few CSKA games. His last was back on the 4th. *shrug* I asked over on the Prospect Board on Monday but no answer. I guess we'll see if he's in the lineup today...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Starts game 3 in the Finals, generates a nice rush chance in front of the net, playing with old friend Greg O'Renko.

He had a secondary on this goal in the last game:

(#13, cruising by the crease in that clip)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Guess who has another assist?

Second goal for CSKA (they're up 3-1 in the 2nd) - he carries through the neutral zone, works a give and go to with Sorkin and goes to the slot, gets a shot that goes wide, caroms in front and Sorkin scores. All sorts of power move on that.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'm really excited for our own little Russian wave in a few years that nobody outside of Buffalo is even thinking about.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Maybe he'll be able to join us after his 2026 KHL season for the 2026 NHL playoffs :)

Otherwise, he won't come overseas until the '26-'27 season at the earliest. I hope I'm still breathing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad