"Projects"

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Dave Steckel on Washington was certainly a project when he was a 1st round pick of the Kings; now he's a decent checking line center.

Brian Boyle is a project who is yet to be determined, but he is doing fairly well in his rookie year in the AHL, leading the Monarchs with 19 goals.

jeff88_5

May 24, 2007
Dave Steckel on Washington was certainly a project when he was a 1st round pick of the Kings; now he's a decent checking line center.

Brian Boyle is a project who is yet to be determined, but he is doing fairly well in his rookie year in the AHL, leading the Monarchs with 19 goals.

Did he score those goals playing defense???

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Joe Finley who the Caps drafted in 29th in '05 is a project, currently finishing out his junior at UND...given another season or two in the AHL he could become a nasty stay at home type of dmen

I'm surprised Blake Wheeler's name hasn't popped up yet

as for projects finally making it into the NHL, Dave Steckel for the Caps is an ok example...he's nothing flashing and will never score more then 10 goals in a year probably but he's a pretty great PKer and defensive center

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
I always felt that a project was a guy who's not playing well on his draft year, but has something special that could eventually make him a good nhler as his game develops. Or one who's has everything except one weakness, which the team feels he can overcome with some time.

Like a player with good size and speed but who lacks the confidence to put up good numbers. Or a power foward with terrifc size and skills but terrible skating abilities, who could become an impact player if he learns how to skate.

Darius Dangleaitis

Padowan Kovalchuk
Jul 31, 2006
Morristown, NJ
I got to watch him last night vs. Plymouth. I honestly don't see what all the hype is, granted, this is the 1st time I've seen him. His skating looks akward, kind of hesitant almost, like he has to think about how to skate rather than it coming naturally. His Hockey sense looked alright when he had the puck, but when he was away he was always looking around on where to be and moving in and out of position. He does have good hands though, stickhandling is good, and he does shy away from physical contact.

As far as dominating, I didn't see it. If I didn't plan on paying attention to the guy, I never would have noticed him. Maroon and Ramano looked good, very good moves and playmaking, even McRae stood out as well. McRae looks like a pond hockey player though.

Sorry about the ramble, just thought I'd pass it along.

Tony Romano is a Devils pick. He's definitely a project. Might have the offensive skills to play in the big show but needs to work on his defense. And that's an understatement.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Brent Burns was a major, major project when the Wild picked him. Moving to defense really sped up his development.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Tony Romano is a Devils pick. He's definitely a project. Might have the offensive skills to play in the big show but needs to work on his defense. And that's an understatement.

Romano was a low risk project, because he was taken with a throw away pick.

He has turned out to be just that... a throw away.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Edler was a project when he was drafted and was brought along slowly and is becoming a solid NHL d-man at this point, but I'm not sure anyone really knows how good he can be at this point.

I don't know that playing 22 games in the NHL as a 20 year old defenseman, and then averaging 20mins a game, including PP and PK time, at 21, can really be considered being brought along slowly.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I don't know that playing 22 games in the NHL as a 20 year old defenseman, and then averaging 20mins a game, including PP and PK time, at 21, can really be considered being brought along slowly.

He didn't really hit the ground running until his year with the Rockets, a season after he was drafted. They didn't put any pressure on him and let his play do the talking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad