Projections on 13 yr-old phenoms??

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
These are MASSIVE outlier numbers in the East! Clearly an absolutely dominant talent at 13!

http://oehmhl_stats.stats.pointstre...-leaders.html?divisionid=31371&seasonid=13274

So we see the McDavids, Crosbys, Tavares etc running up big numbers as 13 yrolds moving onto exceptional status and then the Show but curious , for every McDavid, how many 13yrold phenoms do you think come back to the pack by 15ish?. I know puberty plays a huge role here. Brings me back to my first year Bantam back in the day. We had a kid on the team who was almost the version of the kid above. He was perhaps the best player east of Toronto. Took the puck and did what he wanted with it. Man among little boys and he looked it!. Set of jacks on him like he was18 and hairy all over from his chest to that bad old 'stach of his. Anyways,the very next year he came back to the pack - although still among the top 10 or so players in our league and by minor midget he was just a solid 2nd liner . Finished up playing jr B

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for the heads-up on this kid. Will be interesting to see how he does at the Silver Stick against the top teams in Ontario/U.S.

As for your question, for every Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, there's a large number of kids like the one you played against. I played against a guy named Shane Nash that was absolutely tremendous. Won the MVP at the Quebec Pewee tourney, played tier 2 at the age of 15, was an OHL All Star. For whatever reason he only ended up playing low-level minor pro. For one reason or another most of the minor hockey phenoms seem to stall at various levels.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
The extreme outliers (Crosby, Tavares, McDavid) don't ever fall off because they're prodigies by definition.

What's interesting is the set of outliers below that prodigal notch. While the bulk of these end up as NHL stars, the case of studies of the "casualties" absolutely fascinate me.

Dan Catenacci was at one point deemed far and away the best 93 in Ontario when he played for York Simcoe. I vividly recall Catenacci's magazine cover showing off his "UnderArmour". The gap narrowed during Midget - and while a 3rd round NHL draft pick is a great achievement - he was passed by 93s who years earlier were quite a bit behind.

A more extreme case was Brook Hiddink, who played up with EMC at one point. He was considered the best 96 in Ontario, dominated playing up a level, and actually outplayed McDavid a few times while playing back down with the 96s. He gradually declined before/during Midget, and rapidly declined thereafter. What was the best 96 in Ontario 5 years ago can't crack a current OHL roster.

This is down another couple pegs, but Brett Hargrave was hugely hyped and his arrival from North Bay was seen as challenging Hiddink (though his status was becoming more tenuous), Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, etc. for the best 96s in Ontario.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Hiddink struggled playing a second year of midget after playing as an underager. Some people have said that playing two years of midget have more often than not hurt their development. Sicoly is another player that regressed his second year of midget.

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I've seen Clarke play, he actually is just dominant. It's not much to do with puberty either, he's slightly bigger than the average Minor Bantam player, but not huge by any measure.

Very smart and aware guy, with a rocket of a snapshot. Interesting to see if he keeps this pace up.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Mitchell Davis. I remember seeing him on television after he broke Gretzky's youth records. Ended up a very late round OHL pick and is out of hockey.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Steven Anthony and Devon MacAusland received early praise they could never match. Both are 23 today and Anthony is stuck between the ECHL and the CHL while MacAusland quit hockey after his overage QMJHL season and is now working at a car dealership in Moncton.

the dog

May 16, 2014
check out video......sportsnet.ca underheadlines................must see Japanese hockey prodigy return...........sorry don't know how to put video on

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Absolutely sweet hands! Very good passer and skater also. Will be interesting to watch.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
additional stats on the kid in the OP:

2011-12 statistics: Nepean Raiders Major Atom AA - 30GP 26G-14A-40P 18PIMs, Playoffs - 5GP 2G-1A-3P 2PIMs, #12
2012-13 statistics: Nepean Raiders Minor Peewee AA - 30GP 56G-15A-71P 44PIMs, #12
2013-14 statistics: Ottawa Senators Major Peewee AAA - 28GP 29G-12A-41P 22PIMs, Playoffs - 10GP 12G-6A-18P 10PIMs, #12

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Now scoring at a 3.47 pt per game pace. Next closest player is at 1.47 pt per game. I think we'll be hearing more about this kid soon.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Now scoring at a 3.47 pt per game pace. Next closest player is at 1.47 pt per game. I think we'll be hearing more about this kid soon.

Yeah, his numbers continue to be outrageous! Exactly half way through the season and on pace for
76 G and 104 pts in only 30 games?! Damn!!!
As comparison, three years ago,same age same league Bitten and Felhaber were 1-2 in scoring with 63 and 43 pts respectively and they did 'ok 'in last Springs draft and more than holding their own as 16 yrolds
I live in Ottawa so might be time to take a drive and see this kid in action

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, his numbers continue to be outrageous! Exactly half way through the season and on pace for
76 G and 104 pts in only 30 games?! Damn!!!
As comparison, three years ago,same age same league Bitten and Felhaber were 1-2 in scoring with 63 and 43 pts respectively and they did 'ok 'in last Springs draft and more than holding their own as 16 yrolds
I live in Ottawa so might be time to take a drive and see this kid in action

I saw him play at the Silver Stick against the Chicago Mission. Doesn't really wow you with any facet of his game, but he sure knows how to finish. Ended up with 2 goals and 1 assist in an upset win over the number 2 ranked team in the U.S. He's extremely opportunistic. I could see how he's putting up big numbers, as he's rarely going to be playing against anyone the caliber of the Mission, and look what he did against them.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
I saw him play at the Silver Stick against the Chicago Mission. Doesn't really wow you with any facet of his game, but he sure knows how to finish. Ended up with 2 goals and 1 assist in an upset win over the number 2 ranked team in the U.S. He's extremely opportunistic. I could see how he's putting up big numbers, as he's rarely going to be playing against anyone the caliber of the Mission, and look what he did against them.

Interesting. That's almost the exact feedback I got from a buddy who saw him play here in town last month. He said that, while he clearly stood out for the others, he wasn't 'wowed' by any one facet of his game BUT the kid finished with 5 pts that night . Go figure :)

Kathys Boss

Dec 12, 2014
I've seen him play. He is a phenom, but certainly not because he hit puberty early. At 13, this boy is still just a boy (see the CBC video at the link below about him at age 12 along with his younger brother who are both on-camera regular fans on Hockey Night in Canada at Sens home games). Graeme has a ton of upside and his 'wow factor' is increasing with age rather than fading. He's growing and maturing quickly and is more exceptional as every month goes by. Start collecting the memorabila now. Of all the kids I've seen in his peer and age group range (including plus or minus a year), he's the most likely to get Exceptional Player Status from the OHF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLVFusyMvM

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I've seen him play. He is a phenom, but certainly not because he hit puberty early. At 13, this boy is still just a boy (see the CBC video at the link below about him at age 12 along with his younger brother who are both on-camera regular fans on Hockey Night in Canada at Sens home games). Graeme has a ton of upside and his 'wow factor' is increasing with age rather than fading. He's growing and maturing quickly and is more exceptional as every month goes by. Start collecting the memorabila now. Of all the kids I've seen in his peer and age group range (including plus or minus a year), he's the most likely to get Exceptional Player Status from the OHF.

Oh boy.

Kathys Boss

Dec 12, 2014
Ottawa Citizen article: Graeme Clarke leading the way in minor bantam play

Graeme Clarke leading the way in minor bantam play
By: Martin Cleary, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 13, 2015

The Zamboni rolls off the ice and chattering hockey players burst through the gate for what is now a lengthy practice instead of an anticipated game, thanks to a winter storm.

After a few minutes, the sound of a whistle pierces the cold air and the players take off in single file up the ice. Fittingly, Graeme Clarke is at the head of the line. Appropriately, his hockey socks have stars circling his calves...

(MOD: snipped full article)

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/local-sports/clarke-leading-the-way-in-minor-bantam-play

howlman

Mar 9, 2004

If Clarke continues to excel and was granted exceptional player status, would he be eligible for the 2016 OHL draft?

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Interesting. That's almost the exact feedback I got from a buddy who saw him play here in town last month. He said that, while he clearly stood out for the others, he wasn't 'wowed' by any one facet of his game BUT the kid finished with 5 pts that night . Go figure :)

Sounds like Tavares. I remember going to OHL games where you'd barely notice JT, but he would finish with 2G, 2A as the games 1st star

Rephockey

Apr 27, 2015
Heard some really good things about Nicholas Porco from Sault Ste. Marie. Anyone else hear stuff?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Sometimes these kids sound great but the word "phenom" when attributed to a hockey player that player has to be truly exceptional. Examples are McDavid, Lindros Crosby and Tavares. Gretzky and Bobby Orr were in a class of their own. How good McDavid will be is undecided yet. Crosby was suppose to break a bunch of Gretzky's records. He is a heck of a player but far from what Gretzky was. The point is generational players are very few and far between. Many youngsters are put in positions to succeed because their parents are coaching and such giving them more ice time. They fizzle out quick when those opportunities disappear and they have to earn their keep. Just saying:).

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Who's seen Graeme Clarke play, is he actually worthy of being talked about for exceptional status as mentioned in the 2016 ohl draft thread by a couple of posters...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad