Prospect Info: Projecting Travis Dermott

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Were happy you're happy it's all good :) I just don't agree when people say Dermott himself has just as much value as Konecny

meh they are pretty damn close. Konecny was the 24th pick and has 104 points in 62 games so far. Dermott was picked 34th and has 51 pts in 55 games.

If the leafs wanted konecny they would have taken him. They knew they could move back and still get the guy they wanted plus assets (Bracco,Dzierkals).

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Just to chime in, everyone ahead of Konecny in scoring had a teammate in the top 7 as well.

Marner Tkachuk and dvorak
Strome and DeBrincat
Lablanc and mangiapanne

So he basically carried his team. His closest teammate Zacha was 34th in league scoring

his closest teammate was picked 6th overall in the NHL draft. kinda kills the whole no support argument. if you dont think zachas size and skill created opportunity for konecny to get more points, there is nothing left to be said

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I think Aho will end up being a SIGNIFICANTLY better player than Dermott. Like legit 1st line star talent vs middle pair dman. Oops.

I live in Oulu and Aho wasn't big name year a go. If I remember correctly he was reach in the draft. Was thought to be late 2nd or 3rd rounder. He scored the championship goal in FEL and was promising young player, but not one of those big names like Laine or Puljujarvi this year. He was seen small and skilled speedster, but how his game has translated this year is way over normal expectations. He was seen more like Jere Lehtinen not like Saku Koivu his been this year.

These things happen. Who knew? Maybe Carolina but I think this is more than what they expected when they called his name.

Dermott was good in WJC has played well in the OHL. In future we'll see which one is better player in the NHL. Aho's game may translate or may not.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
his closest teammate was picked 6th overall in the NHL draft. kinda kills the whole no support argument. if you dont think zachas size and skill created opportunity for konecny to get more points, there is nothing left to be said

so if his size and skill created as many opportunities as you're saying why didn't why he have anywhere near the points as his teammate ?

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Sarnia acquired Konecny at the trade deadline from the 67's and Travis scored 23 goals and 56 points in 31 games and was the catalyst of their offense now.

Ottawa 67's scored even less goals than Sarnia and Konecny only had 7 goals on 29 games without any offense support.

That said Dermott has had a real strong year as well, but he is blessed also with playing in Erie the top team in the OHL and considered top 3 in the CHL. He looks promising at this point, but being compared and connected to Konecny is going to be big shoes to fill.

Konecny was drafted #1 overall in the bantam draft into the OHL ahead of Strome, Marner, Crouse etc while Dermott was selected in round #9 164th overall in 2012 priority draft. So these players were not considered equal a few years ago.

Leafs almost need Bracco or Dzeirkals to amount to something so they can say Quantity > Quality of this trade.

Dermott largely was drafted in 9th round because he was 5'8 and 160lbs back in 2012
Way too small for a defender at that time. Had some skating ability and offensive upside but was a project even for ohl simply because he had to get bigger. Thus he didn't play in his first season of ohl eligibility. Since 2012 draft he has gained 50lbs and 3 inches. Connor brown was drafted in the 13th round of ohl draft. Ohl draft is such a crap shoot once past 3rd/4th round. Banking on kids growing or not and choosing from thousands of players all over the country.
Konency has a higher ceiling though but Dermott has been with Strome and Williams the most valuable players for Erie. I don't think dermott benefits from being on #1 team in ohl, I think Erie benefits from having one of the top 3 defenders in the league. Without him Erie takes a big step back as he's irreplaceable to the team. And he might even be more valuable than Strome because this team has won more on defense this year than the past years with Mcdavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad